I’m worried...n stressed n struggling

(Lisa marie t) #1

So it’s been 8!days since gallbladder surgery now I knew i would be in recovery but holy shballs N woa so on top of surgery had bad a reaction to T3s or meds they doped me with .my staples canes out today have small infection by belly button so on antibiotics. I am the same weight as I was when I went in lol.
Now stressful part… I’m struggling money wise to buy groceries let alone keto food legit stress, I’ve been posting my art on FB, I’ve borrowed from mom already Im just trying to figure out how I’m going to make it , funny thing I don’t drink don’t do drugs or smoke don’t go out I’m just happy raising my teen boy who’s helped me a lot n held my hand so I don’t fall etc BEST son ever
I have not ate junk no candy no crap no rice or pasta just small portion of potato n bread I’m struggling mentally not to go downwards but stay upwards but my hope to keep on keto-omg is dwindling :sleepy:

Lisa, I’m so sorry to hear this. Surgery is ALWAYS stressful, and money issues never help.

I wish I had some helpful advice for money, but I’d be guessing. What did come to mind was the groceries.

Not sure of your exact situation, but “keto food” doesn’t have to be organic, grass-fed beef, and organic vegetables, etc. If you can find some cheap lunch meat and cheese, that’s better than nothing. Maybe some lettuce to make a salad to two. Canned meat usually isn’t that expensive, and can do the trick, keto wise.

Of course, if you like eggs that’s always a good option. I don’t know about where you live, but our grocery store sells bacon ends cheaper than regular bacon. Which I think is hilarious, because that comes with the most fat on it. :laughing:

Basically, it doesn’t have to be fancy and the most expensive to be keto. Of course I’m saying all this with NO IDEA what groceries cost in Canada. So if I’m wrong, please forgive me.

If there’s some cheaper alternatives, that are low carb, then that’s better than most options. I just don’t want you to stress anymore thinking your food has to be special.

Also, I don’t know if there might be any social services in your area that could help with some money or groceries for that matter.

Again, I’m very sorry to hear all this. I wish there was more I could do. I won’t say keep calm and keto on, that sounds too trite for this, but I do hope you find peace in your situation, and a quick recovery from your surgery.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #3

I agree with Darren, you might be able to get some cheap stuff even at the dollar general store. You can buy tuna and cans of potted meat/vienna sausages there. Chicken broth granules can help tide me over when I’m hungry. I skip the deli when I’m broke and head to block cheese instead. Carl Budding “deli” meats are 69 cents a package with 2 grams of carbs per package, roll some cream cheese inside and it’s a cheap meal. Iceberg lettuce is a cheap wrap for some tuna salad.

Keep your protein up while you’re healing and best wishes.

(Lisa marie t) #4

Keto food like everything needed lol I don’t have even eggs right now or pickles ,olives , cheese etc
I’m on disability raising a teen now he’s good with anything he loves food period i usually have managed to stay ahead like sell a art piece stock up on meat, extra money buy frozen veg n fruit, then child tax top up alternate bills payments , but somewhere I messed up
My mom helps me but it seems like all of a sudden I’m out of everything , can’t even do keto coffee
They have Salvation Army for ppl in need but that’s for ppl worse off than me I won’t take from them
Ex has never helped in 9 yrs either nor his family
This surgery even tho just gallbladder , has gotten to me n it’s p***ing off yesterday out of no where incision started oozing watery stuff I was not prepared for that at all scared n shocked me I went to ER N was like wtf is happening
I haven’t gained I’m pretty much stuck at 277
I just feel lost n like wtf do I do lost

FWIW it’s not unusual to gain weight post surgery so the fact that you haven’t is something of a win :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe you should? Nothing wrong with asking for a little help when you need it. You can always make a donation to them when you’re back on your feet.

Fellow Canadian here. This is what has been working for us, on a tighter budget lately, in Ontario.

-Walmart has packs of 5 huge chicken breasts for $11, compared to $23.
-Superstore has a 2kg pack of lean ground beef, for $13 using price matching.
-Look around for reduced items, many things are 30-50% off. There’s almost always 50% reduced meat somewhere, usually organs, but they’re good for you.
-Go for things like canned coconut milk, which is cheap but packs lots of fat and calories.
-Eggs. Sometimes I live off eggs alone, they’re cheap and nutritious.
-Bricks of cheese are usually pretty cheap for the calories in them.
-Go for frozen if you can’t get fresh cheaper.
-Bulletproof coffee is great to fill you up, and if you can replace 1 meal a day with it, you can cut costs.
-Intermittent fasting works for that, too
-Don’t worry too much about variety with vegetables and such.

I look online for flyers at other stores using Flipp. If an item is cheaper at another store, show the cashier and they’ll match the price (at least here, I don’t know if it’s the same in BC, but I would assume so.)

Say, when cauliflower costs 3.98 at the superstore, I might be able to get it for 1.98 using price matching. In that case I’ll stock up on it and freeze.

(Lori) #8

Hi Lisa- It looks like you have gotten a lot of good advice here already. I just wanted to let you know that I have seen your posts before and you are always so upbeat and positive…don’t forget that!! This is a temporary situation and recovering from surgery sucks!!! You got this!! Don’t give up. Go get some food from a food bank or a church/salvation army…it’s ok!! Be proud and stand tall (as much as it hurts) you are doing the right thing for your son and yourself!!! We are all rooting for you!! Take it one day at a time and soon you will be back in your groove and feeling back to yourself!! Much love from the sunshine state!!

Please please have patience and kindness for your body during this time! Can you imagine what your animal brain thinks deep down? Our rational brains understand what surgery is and why, but our animal brains must experience such a scary shock! Your body was CUT OPEN and the insides exposed! That’s never supposed to happen, and if it does there must be something very wrong. So, if you retain water (which is part of healing) or experience cravings or heal slowly or whatever, just be kind to yourself. You are your body’s friend, treat it like you would your son!

(Door Girl) #10

Lisa, this is what food banks are for! Get yourself some food, and pay it back in donations after you are back on your feet.

I don’t know if this will help right now, but Diane has started a keto on a budget thread.

(Lisa marie t) #12

Cool thanks

(Lisa marie t) #13

Thanks , I sold a painting and got some groceries meat n cheese first n for most
My body is healing I did cleaning for my mom yesterday n no pain
I’ve gained 7 lbs and I’m upset There’s still things I need for keto that I didn’t buy n now I have to get a battery for my car … it seems like I get ahead n get body slammed backwards
It’s life , I’m still luckier than most

(Lisa marie t) #14

Food bank here they give bread n canned stuff nothing I can really use n I honestly feel others being worse off than me deserve it
I did use it in past n felt guilty my card expired too