I’m trying very hard

newbies

Hi
I have been doing keto since sept 1. I have co workers who have been very successful and I wanted to try myself. Main goal to bring down a1c and weight. Not ready for specifics yet, but I have 40 lbs to lose and I am a woman in my 50s.
I have not lost any weight. Toggle 1-2 lbs but no gain. My glucose levels are good. I use a macro counter that keeps fat at 80% carbs at 5% ( I keep it close to 20g) and protein the rest. I drink plenty of water. The last 2 weeks I added eating between 11/ 12 to 7 pm. I am great at following the plan. I am on my feet all day at work and do extra exercise probably 3 times a week. I’ve been encouraged to give it time. But everyone I know of has lost weight by now. I know everyone is different. I feel like I am missing something. How will I know if this won’t work for me? Advice?
Thanks

(MelissaH) #2

It would help us if we knew what you were eating in a day. You mentioned you weren’t ready for specifics yet… Tracking is helpful to know where you are and what needs to be adjusted.

@Monurse But he/she already tracks.
@Alien424 Give Pod cast http://www.2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=58
a listen and see if the “mix it up” method helps. (Hope the link works). Otherwise go to 2ketodudes.com and select #58 under the Episode tab. Best Wishes

(MelissaH) #4

I second this podcast! I always recommend changing things up.

(less is more, more or less) #5

Net or Total carbs?

Net. I do pay attention to the net and don’t have more than 30g total.

Oh, the specifics I meant were weight and height. Before keto I was three months protein and protein veg 5 days alternating. My blood sugar went down and by 2 months it started climbing again. Probably due to protein converting to glucose. That’s why I’m trying keto.
Example day: up at 5 am just black coffee and water before I eat at 11 or 12. Tuna salad (Avocado and cream cheese), cucumber slices, cheese stick. Coffee with heavy whipping cream for creamer. Then about 5 for dinner, 4 oz salmon with spinach and cheese. Macadamia nut snack.
Thanks for asking

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #8

Hey @Alien424 – there’s so many of these kinds of posts that it’s hard to keep up and reply to them all. Please see my reply to someone else’s similar question here: Gained weight on Keto

Nobody has all the answers. Nutrition science is in its infancy. There’s a lot you can do if you’re just beginning, but I must caution you that LCHF is not a magic pill. You are a woman in your 50s so other hormonal factors may be playing a part. See the post I linked to above for more. Hope it helps!

(less is more, more or less) #9

It may sound trivial, but switching to total can make a big difference. It did for me, early on.

Thank you… I know… no signs of menopause yet, but I’m sure it’s close…

(Running from stupidity) #11

+1

I’m no CICO, but calories do count. You have to make sure you are getting enough.

I do track. Calories are 1600… see my earlier post for example

(less is more, more or less) #13

Agreed. In this context, one can eat too much. Satiety signals between each of us is not always reliable.

(Candy Lind) #14

I put all your food in Cronometer and only came up with 1100. Of course I could have mis-guessed on amounts, and you might have forgotten to mention the butter you cooked the salmon in or added to the spinach. I think as active as you are, I would experiment with adding a couple hundred calories to your day just to see what happens.When I started keto, my first big “AHA!” moment was when I added 200 calories to my plan, two different times, and got a big “WHOOSH” of weight loss soon after.

Above all, KCKO. Maybe you are at a point where your body wants to use your food to do repairs and you just need to give it time.

(MelissaH) #15

I def think that listening to your body and changing things up is the best way to go. Our caloric needs aren’t the same everyday. Sometimes I eat a lot twice a day, sometimes once, or three times. Keep your metabolism guessing and working😉
Edit to add… also try increasing your fat

Well, as a female in my 50s I have to say that LCHF has been quite a magic pill - as long as I hold to “slow & steady wins the race”. Body recomposition over seasons is almost like magic to me :wink:

I loved this film too