I can not get it in my head that eating high fats is good for me

(Amir) #1

Hello my names amir I’m 24 and I’ve been fat my whole life ever sense I was a lil kid running around and losing my breath I’m 6-4 342lbs now and I’m on day 7 of my Keto diet I have headaches and feel worn out but weirdly much better then before, I fast every day from 9pm-2pm today I did my first 24 hour fast and it was a success never in a million years did I think I can do it and actually it wasn’t that hard my question is I’m eating 2 meals a day with no snacks in between lunch and dinner and I’m just feeling like I should take stuff off my plate like I’m cheating, like today for lunch after I broke my fast I had 7 shrimps with some shredded steak green and red peppers, mushrooms, sour cream, feta cheese and olive oil but it was to good having butter and oil can’t be good for me I just don’t feel comfortable eating cheese, butter and lard on a diet its like I’m cheating it just doesn’t make sense and also I refuse to weigh my self until I hit my 30 days of Keto, I have 2 kids and a third on the way it’s time to get healthy I’m finally ready please let me know what u think

(Jessica) #2

I’ve had similar thoughts. I KNOW why it works and that I need to keep it up, but b starving myself and avoiding fat is so ingrained as the “right” way to diet that it does sometimes feel too good to be true. My advice is to watch The Magic Pill in Netflix if you can, and look up YouTube videos by Dr. Phinney. He gives you the science. Knowing the science helped me be a true believer and not just a follower.

(Running from stupidity) #3

Amir, this might help. Comments are good.

(Amir) #4

Thx jessica that’s my wife name btw I will look them up now or probably when I’m fasting in the morning lol keep my mind off things

(Amir) #5

Thx mic just read it makes sense, btw Ive been following your comments and post and advice for the last 7 days thank you for all the Keto knowledge you share!

Fat and oil are not synonymous. Oil is a liquid and very calorie dense. As such it can be easily overdone, for example, a couple of tablespoons of olive oil have 250 calories. Fat comes in whole foods, usually combined with other macronutrients. For example, in the case of meat, fat and protein or in seeds, fat, protein and carbs.

Fat is not particularly nutritious, but it is the least insulinogenic macronutrient so it’s good at creating a hormonal state conducive to weight loss and improving metabolic derangement. You would not want your healthy 12 year old to eat olive oil instead of avocado.

Assuming you can tolerate it, fasting is the most efficient way to lose weight and repair most metabolic issues.

(Omar) #7

What about fat from ghee

Is it nutritious ?

I’m not saying fat has no nutritional value, there are essential fats that we must get exogenously. What I am saying is that fat from whole foods is better than oils. Ghee is good but salmon is better.

(Amir) #9

Yea I might have screwed up with the olive oil then I should measure out tea spoons instead of pour freely thx

(Amir) #10

So pretty much what your saying is instead of using the extra spoons of oils and butters just have an extra piece of salmon or other fatty foods makes sense

Yes.
Or some nuts. Or avocado. Or dairy (if you can tolerate it).

(Amir) #12

Thx 4

(Laurie) #13

The way I understand it is, Don’t avoid fat, but don’t force it either. The way many of us have been conditioned to avoid it, it’s hard to tell whether we’re “avoiding” it out of habit, or whether we just don’t feel like eating it right now!

Tracking your food, or learning the nutritional values of various foods, might help put you in touch with how much you’re really consuming. Many meats and other animal products contain plenty of fat, so you might be getting enough already.

(less is more, more or less) #14

I vote for the latter. People generally think they know a food or recipe’s macro protein/carb/fat ratio. I know that I’ve been wrong more often than correct. For example, take peanuts. I long believed they were a 50% carb, 50% protein food item. Marketing used to play up the protein part of this. Yet they really are 72% fat, 12% protein and 16% carbs. (I avoid them now in general) Similar with tofu.

This. So much this. Don’t do “fat bombs,” or bullet-proof coffee to force your fat consumption upwards. Focus on keeping total carbs below 20 grams. If, however, you think that butter or coconut oil in your coffee is mind-bendingly delicious, that’s another matter. I enjoy a cup a day. It’s a delightful bending of my already-bent mind.

Finally, perhaps most importantly, is to listen to Nina Teicholz’s presentation on the history of vegetable oils. She covers more than that, but you’ll see how industry gamed policy to lead us to believe that saturated fats are unhealth, when the inverse is true.

(KCKO, KCFO) #15

Sounds like low fat eating got you where you are now. Didn’t work too well for you did it.Wishing you much success with keto/low carb eating now.

Healthy fats are your friend. Others have listed those. But trust that good fats will give you a good result.

You don’t need to add fats all the time, your body will pull a certain amount daily from your fat stores. That is why we say " low carbs, moderate protein, fat to satiety." Amy Burger also has a good saying:

The magic pill is what got me started!