How to determine calories?

(Karim Wassef) #21

I agree with KetoCancerMom’s recommendations.

First - don’t assume that weight = fat. Sometimes, as we lose fat, our bodies react by retaining more water in the fat cells actually increasing weight. Have you experienced a flush yet? This is where you lose a lot of water in a day.

Second - some foods have hidden insulinogenic or inflammatory products. Diet soda can do this by triggering insulin, even without actual carbs. HWC in excess can also cause inflammation and slow things down.

Third - eat real natural foods. Avoid processed foods like Jell-O pudding and american cheese.

Fourth - don’t eat lean meats like turkey breast. Eat fatty meats instead. You need to have enough fat in your diet to get to satiety and lean meats make that harder. Eggs are good. If you eat chicken, eat the thighs with the skin to get more fat.

How are you eating 4 tablespoons of butter? On something? In something?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #22

@Karim_Wassef,

Thanks for the more detailed explaination. I was on my phone and its rather tedious to make long posts :slight_smile:

(dee dee) #23

Oh God, thank you! I will drop HWC as I like my coffee black also.
I will eliminate the Sugar Free Jell-O.
I will drink sparkling water in lieu of diet soda product.
I will trade turkey breast for chicken thighs which I love!
I promise to eat more chicken wings, poor me…
I will eat cheese, the whole cheese, and nothing but the cheese. LOL
I will eat more fat, keeping carbs under 20.
I appreciate the help, so very enthusiastic now that i’m woke.

Thank you everyone who is helping me with this tried-and-true advice.

(dee dee) #24

Thank you so very much for this invaluable information.
I eat melted butter on my heated turkey breast, which I’ll switch out for fattier meats, chicken thighs, wings, etc.
Do I need to make homemade mayo? It’s one of my favorite fats.
Handy to know about the diet drinks. There are so many sparkling waters with flavor essence, I will happily switch. I’m coming from a place where in my young life I was hammered, constantly criticized for my “problem”… the scale was my constant companion/enemy. It will be better if I don’t use it.

Thanks again for your sweet intentions toward my success.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #25

Don’t be afraid of the chicken skin! Take some time at the grocery store to look at the nutrition info on meats, just to become familiar with them. For me, I have to find ways to add fat, so I’ll drink coconut cream with some flavoring added.

Homemade mayo isn’t necessary, but do look at ingredients and find the “purest” mayo that you like.

(Karim Wassef) #26

Same with eggs and bacon. Solid food!

(dee dee) #27

Oh boy, coconut cream? I have a can of it, relatively unknown to me, I planned to try it in coffee.

I’ve never tried butter in coffee, either, but I’m open to trying both. Aside from that, which flavorings

do you add please?

Thank you for your experience. I’m learning every day…

(dee dee) #28

Eggs and Bacon…… aaaah, music to my taste buds.
Reminds me of my newly Keto-inspired favorite omelette now…
The flavors echo the colors…
Yellow Eggs
White Sharp cheddar
Pink Ham
Green onions, sliced
Red Tomato, diced
Black Olives, chopped
Orange Cheddar
SOUR CREAM & dill garnish. YUMMM!

~~>Please tell me if this is o.k. that I included this omelette or if there’s a place I should be posting food ideas & questions? I’m a newbie/enthusiast, don’t want
to step on toes.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #29

I like both salted caramel or chocolate… Sometimes I do a mix of both :slightly_smiling_face:

(dee dee) #30

I’m grateful you answered but I’m not clear on…salted caramel or chocolate “what”? The only caramel I know is sugar. I’m not eating any sugar.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #31

Sorry, MCT 0il powder.
Although you might be able to add cooking extracts, like vanilla or Cherry, etc

(dee dee) #32

Whew! I like the sound of that, never heard of MCT Oil Powder.
New stuff every day from people who sound happy to help
who don’t even know me… feeling the warmth & fuzzies here.

And keep in mind that once you’re 100% fat-adapted (which takes anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months or more to reach, depending on your history, health, and keto compliance) you may well be able to tolerate up to 75g or more total carbs per day.

Meaning, handle generous portions of real foods such as fatty veggies, spices, pastured cream/cheeses, and modest amounts of berries or other low glycemic fruits, even treats like chocolate and/or modest amounts of wine.

But don’t even go there until you have all the signs of satiety and full fat adaptation - the healing of your leptin/ghrelin signalling.

The Phase I of the keto diets (Atkins, Phinney & Volek) is supposed to create the foundation to help increase metabolic flex. The Protein Power LCHF/keto plan (a very well written book from the 1990s, I highly recommend it) by the Drs. Eades moves to a Phase II during the third week, and is more about staying on the ‘keto cusp’.

And always remember you can use the search bar in the upper right hand corner of the forum to run searches on any food item or topic - any time of day or night!

KCKO%20avo

(Carol) #34

@deedee1212, I love mayo also but I’m super particular about it. I use this recipe and do not allow myself to eat it straight out of the jar. :slight_smile:

(Karim Wassef) #35

I use avocado oil or EVOO mayo - off the shelf.

(Karim Wassef) #36

You know. We’ve all been through hell with this thing. There’s a comradery in suffering through an ordeal and it creates a unique kinship with others who have or are enduring the same.

We care and we know how potent the enemy is. It’s the corrupt food industry with the cereal and seed oil profiteers who know they’re causing diabetes and cancer but do it anyway. It’s the corrupt pharmaceutical who need us sick and diseased so they can cash in on our lives. They likewise know the ill they cause and they trick doctors who don’t spend the time or effort to find the truth. It’s the exercise industry that perpetuates the “you’re lazy so it’s your fault” mentality.

We’re in this together and the forces arrayed against us are legion…

(Wendy) #37

I know you already got good answers but I was just spending some time at the Diet doctor. Com site watching various videos and watched one by Zoe Harcomb on How to combat conventional dietary advice. It had great information on calories and how we got the measurement and that the numbers are So inaccurate. Not sure I can share a link here to there but if anyone is interested is worth a watch. There were several interesting myths busted on it.

(dee dee) #38

Wise words, received well here. We have to care because they don’t have to.

What are THEY eating? Don’t they drink the same water, eat the poisoned food sources, breathe the putrid air?

I’ve heard potato farmers say they don’t eat from the comercial crop. They grow separately for their family’s

consumption. THAT told me EVERYTHING!

Thanks,