How to break a plateau

(Kellie) #1

Would breaking keto and getting out of ketosis and then going back in that help in breaking a plateau? Iv been doing intermittent fasting and it’s not working for me . My body doesn’t like it , I feel dizzy a lot and I’m hungry more often and haven’t seen that great of an improvement in the weightloss . Also what is carb cycling ? Just higher carbs one day and lower the next or something ? Would that help break a plateau?

(Robert) #2

I’m in the same boat and was just about to ask the same thing.

(Ron) #3

(Ken) #4

Yes, try eating carbs on the Weekend. Reduce your fat when you do. Reduce your fat during the week to 60%, with a 35% protein macro and make sure you’re hungry when you est.

These things can break stalls, and avoid the need for Fasting.

(Kellie) #5

How many carbs on high carb days ? More than 20?

(betsy.rome) #6

This sounds contrary to the way most recommend, which is to stay in ketosis all the time. Dr. Mercola does not cite what those “counterproductive side effects” are, and “likely not optimally healthy in the long term” does not sound like science to me. Has anyone here tried his version of Carb Cycling? Is this science or just his opinion?

Here quoted from that link above:
"By periodically pulsing higher carb intakes, consuming, say, 100 or 150 grams of carbs opposed to 20 to 50 grams per day, your ketone levels will dramatically increase and your blood sugar will drop.

"Why is this pulsing so important? It goes back to the workings of insulin. The primary function of insulin is not merely to drive sugar into the cell but rather to suppress the production of glucose by your liver (hepatic gluconeogenesis). When you suppress insulin for too long, however, your liver starts making more glucose to make up for the deficit.

"The result? Your blood sugar starts rising even if you’re not eating any sugar at all. In this situation, eating a high-sugar meal will actually LOWER your blood sugar (because you activated insulin, which then suppresses glucose production in your liver). In the long term, this is not a healthy metabolic state, and cycling in and out of nutritional ketosis will prevent this from occurring. " - Dr. Mercola.

(Kellie) #7

Soooo simple version is yes eat 100-150 carbs once or twice a week ? Lol

Oh… Do you mean I get to be keto and eat one of the millions of things that I miss on Sundays? I hope he’s right… I won’t do that until it’s supersolidly proved though. Show me the science!

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #9

I broke a stall with an egg fast once, so I can recommend that for sure. I don’t think I’d really call that a proper fast though. I just stuffed myself with eggs and cheese for 3 days and watched the weight come off lol. Not everyone likes eggs as much as I do, but any kind of diet where you restrict yourself to one proven low carb food (bacon!) for a few days is worth trying IMO.

Carb cycling comes up pretty often, but I don’t know if I’m sold on it yet. My inclination would be to double down on ketogenic strategies first before I reintroduce something that I know might cause me to slip back into bad habits eventually.

(Kellie) #10

Ya I’m nervous to break ketosis as if I won’t be able to get back in lol Iv notice do woth my weightloss ( I’m not sure if it’s the same with other people) that it will be one number let’s say 159 and then go down to 158 for 2 days then go back up to 159 for a couple days and then be 157 as then they cycle will happen again where it will be 157 for a few days go down a pound up a pound then down two pounds . Does this every week for the past month at least lol I find it silly and even though I know it’s happening like this I still get upset when it goes up lol

(Ken) #11

You’re In Maintenance. If you want to stay lipolytic rather than.trying carbs for metabolic reasons, try a 60 percent fat macro.

Eating carbs on the Weekend will not cause any fat gain. Only some water flux. Trying it for a few weeks will not hurt you or set you back, and the metabolic benefits can be huge.

I have been carnivore for a week now, and been bouncing between 137-138lbs for a couple weeks. Should i be doing cardio more regularly to break through this stall?