How soon to keto/glucose test after eating questionable food?

(Bob M) #21

You know, I have a problem with this “physiological normal blood sugar response”. There was a Twitter thread where a high carb advocate was saying we should not have CGMs for “normal” people, and the example he gave was breakfast, oats versus bacon. Of course, the implied but not stated idea was that oats = good and bacon = bad.

But even if eating oats causes a “physiological normal blood sugar response”, I can tell you, from years of experience, that many people will be STARVING 15 minutes after eating oats. Are there people who won’t? Sure. But I’d guess 9/10 people will be starving. What about for bacon? Pretty much no one will be starving.

So, if you eat berries and yogurt, say, and feel fine, that’s good. For me, when I eat berries and yogurt, if I have one bowl, I’ll want another. If I have two bowls, I’ll want a third.

Sometimes I do eat berries, particularly if they are in season and I’ve gone to pick them. Otherwise, I try not to eat them.

(Robin) #22

I’m with you. One thing leads to another. Then another.

(Denise) #23

I don’t know what cgm is Bob, but I remember back in the day eating Oatmeal every morning before work. It never stayed with me, kept me full and I’d be so hungry I’d grab some crappy snack in between meals, definitely carbs.

I don’t work a job now but I can sure go between meals with no snacks. Only time I have one is if I’m born, like sort of a fix for boredom or depression. Atleast now I haven’t anything bad in my cupboards, or I should say bad for my Keto :wink:

I would be starving IMMEDIATELY. I am not the one who just gets satiated and get hungry soon (except on carnivore sometimes). I don’t even get near satiated, I get hungrier if I get carbs.

My SO eats his oats (3 times per week) and do physical work/activity for 10 hours (okay, he is hungry in the last 1-4 hours - he has no other food so he must handle it but it’s important for his figure anyway - and it’s light physical work but still. NOTHING on Earth can keep me surely okay for 10 hours if I don’t go asleep)… But he is that type. It doesn’t matter what his breakfast is (unless it’s really fatty, that’s not good), his satiation is the same, amazing.

But you give him a little oat, not his usual portion and he is starving, immediately. There is a reason neither of us start eating without a substantial meal (I do sometimes and I have regrets. he is more controlled).

I imagine I would starve after bacon as I can eat up to 60g and it’s nothing but my stomach is woken and it wants FOOD! :smiley:
But it’s possible it’s fatty enough for me to trigger the odd response I got on fat fast: I practically starve as I barely eat but I am very satiated. But bacon is probably too protein rich for that.

I would want sausage afterwards. And a complete proper meal first. And no yogurt with my fruit. It’s fine separately.
I can’t eat much berries I think… Grapes or cherries? That can escalate :smiley: STILL, after experiencing and changing so, so much… Carbs brought other carbs, I knew that. I just handle it better now. But some fruits are trickier.

Wait. WHY people eat oats then? It’s SUPER inconvenient if they get hungry again. Only people who doesn’t have that eat oats? Or the ones who secretly wish to snack all day…?

I didn’t know either and googled it.

The oatmeal stories prove everyone reacts differently. My wife works 12 hour shifts (nurse) and those mornings she eats a bowl of oats (+flaxseed, nuts, dry berries, etc.). It keeps her up and running often for the whole shift because sometimes she’s that busy she doesn’t stop for lunch. And when she comes home in the evening she doesn’t eat much more than otherwise. She’s not into keto or any other diet.

(Denise) #27

That’s true, we are all unique, with only some things in common. I would wonder how her overall health is. Also is she snacking during that 12 hours, lunch-break etc.? I mean I know your point is the oatmeal works for her, or she handles it, but is she really healthy?

For most of my life I was full of energy and eating a lot of harmful foods (I should say harmful to me) but I was just fine as far as I knew. I did get atrocious migraines, asthma, appendicitus, chronic sinus infections, and bronchitis but no one would guess I was unhealthy. I was not too much overweight, at 140 my highest, and 5’2" but still ended up with T2 Diabetes.

Snacks? Maybe a banana. She’s a bit overweight, but it doesn’t bother her much. In my opinion most trouble here comes from eating at 8pm after shifts and then going to bed within an hour. Blood tests are not great, but still not bad enough for the doctor to recommend anything.
She doesn’t exercise; she says she spends almost all 12 hours standing so this should be enough. I had no success explaining that a lot of standing doesn’t count.

(Denise) #29

I understand, tried to help my sis before she got so bad with osteo-arthritis. I guess setting an example can be the best way for our loved ones, or friends :wink: