How do you know when you are fat adapted?

@ianrobo: I admit 7:30-10:00am is a bit stressful at work as I have to do some high priority tasks that need finishing before 10:00. So maybe you are right, and it’s stress. I tend to drink peppermint tea to calm the stomach down a bit.

(ianrobo) #22

remember stress triggers Cortisol and that lowers Ketones etc …

I did a test a few weeks ago at work when I knew it was going to be a real bad day. Every hour I used my Ketonix and it went ‘negative’ within 2 hours but when back home recovered to normal.

(David) #23

It could just be your body thinking it is ‘time’ to eat, and giving you a signal accordingly. Ignore it unless you are hungry, and even then drink some water first just to make sure.

My favourites are carbonated water with either

1. a pinch of Himalayan Pink Salt
  2. a splash of ACV
  3. buffalo hot wing sauce (thanks @BillJay)

@ianrobo : I wasn’t aware of this. In futre I’ll try to keep my stress level to a minimum. Thanks for the advice!

@Groversaurus : I used to have breakfast around the time, but no longer have the appetite so I started 16/8 without even noticing. But you are right, it is possible that my stomach still thinks that it is time for breakfast. I know water with Himalayan Pink Salt or ACV, however water with buffalo hot wing sauce is new to me. I shall give it a try :wink: .

I was just a bit worried that the rumbling might mean I am not fat adapted, however if I wasn’t I wouldn’t make it through 16 hours of fast, would I.

(David) #25

You aren’t alone. My tummy grumbles something rotten too, sometimes. I haven’t noticed any patterns or habits or anything that makes it noisier yet.

Honestly, I do feel a bit sorry for my colleagues… then again nobody has said anything yet :D.

(Tim) #28

I kept wondering the same thing about adaptation. “When will I know”? Well, 5 weeks in, I woke up on a Saturday and I honestly felt it. I wasn’t hungry, my stomach was calm and I almost felt a little different. Three days later I tried to see if I could do a fast, so, I started with 24hrs. Boom, wasn’t hungry once. It was almost a life changing revelation to know that I could do something like this. It’s quite remarkable! KC&KO!

(stacey kersting) #29

The only way to Really know for sure is to buy a dual glucometer. It’s all about the numbers. Check out Stephanie Keto person online…amazing

(Renee Porten) #30

Measure. Weight on the scale is not a good representation in keto. It’s fat loss not weight loss. My weight has been the same for 2 months but I’ve lost inches and am 2 sizes smaller in clothing. Measure regularly and ditch the scale

(Sophie) #31

I weigh everyday, first thing in the morning and I log it. I’ve been doing this for 7yrs so the fluctuations in weight don’t phase me anymore. (I used to get shell shocked lol) I never measured on a regular basis until recently and man, was that an eye opener! Definitely take your measurements! I noticed more than once that it appeared I was stalled, but when I took measurements, I was Shrinking! And it’s strange to me, that I don’t shrink all over at the same time either…I am getting smaller in various areas like under bust/upper arm and then 2 weeks later the waist/hips etc.

(Renee Porten) #32

Same here. And taking photos has helped a lot too. Being able to see the difference from week to week is big for me. I can’t let myself weigh or I get fixated and forget that weight loss and fat loss are very different

(Reid Curry) #33

So I read your comment (while getting hungry). I counted back and it was indeed 18 hours since dinner. Crazy!

(What The Fast?!) #34

LOVE this idea.

(Trish) #35

I’ve seen a lot of people write that when fat adapted you will not be hungry but after about 18-20 hours IF I can get ravenous, also after cardio workout, so that didn’t seem to apply…at least for me. I would say in my case I’d say it was when my BMs regulated from only going every 4-6 days (which oddly wasn’t a problem), to going every day or two. Makes me think that I’m now all synced up, regulated, in harmony, adapted, whatever lol.

Could be an insulin spike from the protein. I was adding lots of protein initially but now limit to about 3-4oz at a meal and feel much better. Replaced with greens like creamed spinach or a good size portion of veggies with butter or evoo

Just my 2 cents.

(Jen) #37

Hi everyone,

Have to chime in on the fat adaptation question. I’m 7 weeks in and I think I might be fat adapted but not 100% sure. I started to feel it last week. I ate about 3 pieces of fathead pizza for dinner and honestly thought “I will never eat again”. I was so FULL. I woke up the next day still feeling just as full as the evening before and I went til dinner that day before eating (and I wasn’t even overly hungry). This happened to me again this weekend with the fathead pizza. Am I fat adapted or does this crazy pizza just happen to fill me like nothing I’ve ever eaten before??? Haha. I find I can generally stop eating at 7ish and not really be hungry til late afternoon the next day (although I do have a BPC in the morning).
Thx!

(Elissa Butson) #38

Same here. Just recently started feeling full for hours naturally. Been eating this way since December and all of a sudden my appetite has slowed. I barely eat twice a day. Just going by how my body feels more than anything

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #39

I knew I was adapted because ;

I could go 16 hours without feeling hungry
I no longer craved carbs
I could eat 50g of carbs and still stay in ketosis
My sleeping improved
My energy came back

I’ve been adapted for 5 weeks and now I can fast for 36 hours, I could have kept going but I want to start the Zorn fast for 3 days tomorrow.