How do you get enough fibre on a keto diet?

(Mary) #1

Hi,
I’m wondering how does anyone get adequate fibre? I’m just averaging between 5-10 grams /day when I should be getting 30!
Any ideas, tips?
Thank you!!

Fibre is not an essential nutrient. In fact, those on ZC way of eating get zero grams fibre.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #4

This Zero Carb (ZC) topic has a string of excellent references

… including this article
http://davidgillespie.org/4-good-reasons-not-to-add-fibre-to-your-diet/

I find my plumbing is happier eating ZC. You’ll need to find your balance, which is likely much less than the average carbivores :blush:

(Nick) #5

Simply put: why do you feel you need to eat any fibre? A genuine question.

(Allie) #6

I don’t bother trying / tracking and am doing just fine.

I just get whatever fiber comes along with my veggies. I don’t track, and I don’t feel the need for concern. You know., there was never any science behind that whole “your gut needs fiber” theory any more than the “5 a Day” ad campaign. They’re both just made up. I get lots of water, a pretty fair amount of exercise, lots of walking, I keep up my electrolytes, and the whole thing just takes care of itself.

Do you think it might be a case of, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” ?

(James storie) #8

I believe the problem is that people get in the habit of going to the bathroom several times a day and think that’s normal. When your body is using most of what you put in it, you have less waste! As long as you aren’t constipated, I wouldn’t worry.

(Ben) #9

Another word for fibre is roughage - it’s rough! It is easy to conclude from this that the consumption of fibre will irritate the bowels.