How about pasta?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

I moved the two previous posts from the other thread. There wasn’t much else to move, lol!

If i have the time/can be arsed, i make Bzoodles .
If not , we get a pretty decent Konjac noodle here (Nakd brand)

OK, my groceries couldn’t get delivered on time but I had some actual Barilla Penne in stock so started the experiment. Wanted to do the Dreamfields, then a real one, but real one first it is, given the results which I’m VERY surprised at, not sure if I even need to to the Dreamfields one.

This was done with real Barilla Penne

Started the clock for 15min after my last bite. It was one serving of 56g plus my chicken parm which was breaded with pork rinds, and full fat mozzarella with RAOs low carb sauce which I think is like 3-4g of carbs. So pretty much only the pasta that could cause any trouble.

Baseline / Start of meal 95
15min post 100
30min 109
45min 100
1hr 94
75min 95
90min 97
105min 96
2hr 97

No crash, still feel fine now at almost the 3hr mark. Adding carbs back in general has definately made me more flexible with what I can get away with but it wasn’t like this, although I haven’t really “tested” it on purpose in a while either. A couple months ago @Vladaar_Malane put up a post on Stan Efferding’s vertical diet and while I had a general idea of it I watch the “quick” video (2hrs) and learned a lot, one of them being aside from it being a mostly meat and rice thing, Efferding’s also very much into glycemic load, higher salt, meal timing, lots of mixing from both worlds which caught me attention and I’ve been doing it at about 80% since then, so LOTS of rice the last month or two, that has to have something to do with this my overall carb intake isn’t crazy or even high by normal standards, but high for low carb.

I’d kinda like to keep testing this stuff but I know I’ll start holding water like a pool if I do.

(Tracy) #24

I’ve been confused about when to take my blood sugar after a meal. I was taking it 40 minutes after and that seemed to be when I’d get the highest reading. Then kept seeing that you are supposed to take it 1-2 hours after a meal. Does it vary from person to person as to when it gets highest?

No, the idea (from a diabetic standpoint) is to see the rise and fall and see how long it takes you to return to your baseline reading. One of the things they do during diabetes diagnosis is spike you with 100g of glucose and you’re supposed to get back to baseline within 2hrs, they test every 15min because if you hit it before that the test is over and you pass. Just kinda carried on. In reality for most, just knowing how high something sends you is all most people are after. But knowing your recovery time is telling as well. couple years ago it would have taken me hours to recovery from pasta, I would have crash and probably passed out and I would have probably shot up 50-80 points from it. So in the sense of somewhat tracking insulin re-sensitization it’s helpful.

(Jimmy Lock) #27

Is there any ready to eat keto friendly pasta on the market?

(Robin) #28

Your question sounds like the start of a joke.
Keto friendly pasta?

(Jane) #29

No but there are substitutes. Konjac noodles is one. I don’t care for them but some people like them. I make spaghetti sauce with meat and Rao sauce (no sugar added) and throw some shredded cabbage in and cook until it is slightly wilted. Top with parmesean cheese.

There are very many kinds of low-carb pasta, sure. Paleo is a big thing here so I saw it in webshops, surely it’s similar elsewhere. One still need to cook it but that is quick.

I never used them myself, egg tastes loads better so that was my pasta replacement (usually with some “flour” in it, it depends what I want to do with it, I always liked to use oily seeds and later gluten, not alone though). Not like I needed any, there are so many different foods and nothing will even resemble pasta if one wants specifically that, just pasta :slight_smile: But having a base to put vegs or cheese or poppy seed on it? Fun and a bit nostalgic sometimes and eggs were my ally. Pasta is eggs too, just with unnecessary flour, traditionally here. I always hated eggless pasta. IDK how my SO can eat it, it’s wholemeal too, super bad tasting :smiley: But each to their own.

(Chuck) #31

My wife is Italian so homemade pasta is always on the menu, but for me I prefer spaghetti squash instead of the wheat pasta. My wife is learning to make her pasta out of almond and coconut flour. It isn’t for her taste but I can handle it

I wondered about making my own pasta but

1. I prefer the macaroni shape and I can’t make that (there are some cute handmade shapes though. some are almost a proper tube…)
  2. I am just too lazy and too content with my fried egg crumbles that was my pasta replacement on low-carb… Even using store-bought pasta is so complicated, cooking and straining and cleaning… :upside_down_face: When I like fried things anyway.

But maybe one day. Maybe not as I am procrastinating since more than a decade… :wink: It’s just not important enough and my frequent carnivore-ish times made it even less so.
(I can handle wheat flour pretty well occasionally anyway. Still not ideal. And store-bought pasta has only 8, maybe 10 eggs per 1000g flour and that’s not nearly eggy enough for me. And way too starchy. I can use way better flours.)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #33

Pasta is glucose. Eat too much glucose, and you will no longer be in ketosis.

In my book, “keto-friendly pasta” makes about as much sense as “sobriety-friendly alcohol” or “recovery-friendly crystal meth.”

(Geoffrey) #34

I watched a video today where a woman made chicken noodle soup using Egglife Wraps. She rolled them up and then sliced them thinly. I don’t know if that would make a decent pasta substitute but I’d try it.

There are some important tricks to Konjac noodles. I prefer the kind that need to be stored in the fridge and some are blended with Tofu which I like as well. The trick is you must drain the noodles, rinse them with plain water a couple of times and then pan fry them or microwave them. I prefer pan frying, I use either a non stick pan or oil or butter. After the liquid is gone, I then add my regular sauce ingredients. I like making an alfedo using parmesan, mozzarella, butter and whatever else I have around. I also will use it as a vehicle for Raos. Zoodles and spagetti squash are another option, there are also Kolorabi noodles

Because you use the word “pasta” only for the “real thing”. While some of us use it for a good replacement. As we don’t consider flour important for pasta, it’s the thing that we use as others use proper pasta.
If you ask me, the eggless thing isn’t proper pasta to me either as it lacks a very important ingredient, egg. But we have traditionally eggy pasta here.

Sometimes I use a word only for the normal thing, sometimes I don’t because to me flour isn’t required for it to call it that name. Like pancake. Pancake is an eggy flat thing to me (Hungarian pancake is like crepes or maybe it is totally that? IDK but I can’t not call it pancake. I like that name better and we do use the same word for American and Hungarian pancakes in Hungarian). I don’t call vegan pancakes pancakes just like I don’t call vegan sponge cakes sponge cake. I do call my flourless sponge cake sponge cake… But it’s spongy and yellow and everything! So it’s personal terminology. We need to call things somehow… And I don’t know WHY flour should be in the definition when I get a similar just better version without it…

If it’s a soup (and one doesn’t want macaroni… so nice shape for soups though… sigh), eggs are a very very obvious choice :smiley: I like poached eggs in my soups (they are lovely and why to complicate things…) but traditional soups here have dumplings so I often made those too. Flour isn’t needed for dumplings, there are so many other things one can use and almost all are tastier than wheat flour :stuck_out_tongue:

Even normal people use nuts instead of part of the flour sometimes. They usually keep some flour though…