Hi from Yorkshire

(Glenys ) #1

Hello from Yorkshire UK. I am just starting Keto and am looking forward to making friends and learning all I can. What supplements should I take on keto? The other thing is I have heard horror stories about Keto flu and explosive diarrhoea. That worries me a bit. All advice for me is good advice and is welcomed. Thank you

Hello Glenys, welcome to the forum!

Your questions are a little broad because every individual is different. So, some of the “horror stories” you’ve heard might not even happen to you.

Don’t fret what you have heard, just spend some time reading and learning more about the ketogenic diet. You can start here, reading this thread:

Keto Is This Easy - Newbies - Ketogenic Forums

If you have any questions, use the little search button up in the top, right-hand corner of the screen, by your profile pic. And of course, if you can’t find an answer to one of your questions, you can always ask.

Again, welcome to the forum. I wish you long and happy health!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

Carb withdrawal symptoms affect some folks and not others. In reality, however, very few folks experience a ‘horror story’. So-called ‘keto flu’ is a misnomer. I don’t know if we’ve yet conducted a forum survey to determine who did and did not experience discomfort when they began to eat keto. I for one did not. I abandoned a smorgasbord of carb-loaded foods and did not miss them a bit. Still don’t. I also don’t miss getting hungry every 2 hours and browsing all day.

Any major change in eating is apt to affect digestion and bowel movement for awhile until your microbiome adapts. Which it will and fairly quickly. Sometimes varied mineral intakes has a significant effect. Too little or too much sodium, for example, can make the difference between diarrhea and constipation. You can also expect to pass more water since glycosis is a water-retaining metabolic state whereas ketosis is not. This is a good thing since it allows your body to rid itself of waste and noxious stuff quickly and easily. It means you’ll lose water weight quickly. It also means you might have to increase foods that contain water soluble minerals, since they also get flushed more quickly.

Welcome and best wishes.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

The symptoms of what is called “keto flu” (and was called “Atkins flu” back in the day), are caused by lack of salt. In the absence of excessive carbohydrate in the diet, the kidneys excrete sodium more readily (this is normal; what is abnormal is the slower rate of excretion caused by the insulin reaction to high carbohydrate intake). All you need do to prevent symptoms is to increase your salt intake somewhat. Also be sure to drink to thirst.

The symptoms of lack of sodium include not only lightheadedness and dizziness, but also possibly migraine headaches and constipation. Don’t go overboard with the salt, just put enough extra on your food to avoid symptoms.

(Laurie) #5

Welcome!

I’ve done keto (and back in the day, Atkins) several times, for periods of up to one year. I never had any of the “keto flu” symptoms or diarrhea.

With all respect to Paul (and I respect him a lot; he is very knowledgeable and helpful), I personally hate salt and don’t take any. Just mentioning this because what works for one person (or most people) doesn’t necessarily work for another. That’s what’s great about these forums. Lots of info and discussions to help you make your own decisions.

In my experience, most of the warnings come from people who know nothing about keto.

Some will blindly tell you “don’t take supplements, get it all from real food”… YAH! That’s unlikely in 2021!

Set up a cronometer acct, track what you eat and it’ll show you the breakdown of all your micronutrients and that’ll tell you what you are and aren’t getting. Best supplementation plan is one customized to you. Don’t want to take a bunch of stuff you don’t need and that you’ll just pee out, don’t want to skimp on a bunch of stuff that you do need!

BUT, If I were to recommend some supps for just going in blind though, I’d say a good Multivitamin (I like the whole foods based ones), A good magnesium supplement with multiple forms of it in there, a Vitamin D3/K2 supplement, and a quality Omega 3 supplement preferably in it’s triglyceride form. Those are the things that most people almost always need, beyond that you really gotta look at your intake to see what you’re lacking do to the way you eat, we can really be drastically different that way.

(Kathy Timmons) #7

Hello Glenys,
Welcome to Keto!!! I love it and have been on it for 3 years. It is a WOE for life. I lost 80 pounds and have had no problem keeping it off. The lack of constant hunger is the best!!! This is a great forum. Just ask anybody anything…we are all willing to help. The answers for you will be a mix of the answers you get. I always kept it simple–Carbs 20 or below, IF and no snacking. Good Luck and enjoy your journey!

(Robin) #8

Welcome! I never experienced either of those issues. It’s not as hard or complicated as most people think. High fat/protein, low carbs. There is nothing you CANNOT have… you decide where your carbs come from. BUT… if you truly cut out sugar, you’ll likely cut out the cravings.That’s a lesson most of learn early on. Note: the scales won’t always be your best indicator. Your clothes and the way you look and feel will often show progress before the scale does. I think most of us take potassium and magnesium. I have added to that list over time, but that may just be me.(Iron, D3/K2, Biotin/Keratin, C, B Complex, Zinc) Have fun, listen to your body. Stay under 20 carbs a day and you got this!

(Glenys ) #9

Thank you very much

(Karen) #10

Hi from Nottingham, I never experienced either of those when I started Keto. I felt tired over the first 10 days but that passed and I was fine all the time I continued on keto which was for a period of 5.5 months before moving on to Carnivore.

Good luck on your keto journey you will find the people on here very friendly and supportive x

(John) #11

Hi.

Interested in your experiences as I started Carnivore at beginning of January, but have just gone back to cooking with onions and bell peppers.

I did this after listening to advice I was given on this forum. It seemed that perhaps it would be better for me to do keto for 3 months before going strict Carnivore.

You say you did keto for 5.5 months before moving to Carnivore. Was there any reason for that?

You also mentioned being tired for the first 10 days. I am almost constantly tired!:worried: I think perhaps I don’t actually eat enough, but I don’t know.
I generally only eat between 2 and 6:30 simply because I am not hungry.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions from what you have experienced yourself?

Thanks

(Karen) #12

Hi John, I did Keto 5.5 months because I didn’t really know anything about carnivore until joining the forums on here. I just found that on Keto I had real terrible sweet cravings for things I didn’t eat before going Keto. Before Keto I was eating to my blood type which is O Pos, the hunter gatherer meat eater so changing from Keto to Carnivore was a simple transition. The tiredness was while Keto but I didn’t really have much tiredness going carni, it was more energy levels at the CrossFit I had to deal with till my body got used to fuelling from fat alone, within a couple of weeks it was all good.

While on Keto I was tracking everything on Cronometer and was eating a lot but now I am not tracking at all and eat when I am hungry. I love this zero carb way of eating as it is so simple and I have zero cravings.

I couldn’t tell you how long you should wait before going carnivore, I guess it is just how ever long you feel … cant see there would be any reason to wait. There is a carnivore thread on here that is well attended and with plenty of experienced and not so experienced carnivores, which runs month to month. Currently it is Ferocious Fix February Carnivore Challenge. The name changes every month. We talk about all sorts and it has a great family feel. You can join us anytime.

Maybe see you over there x

(John) #13

Thanks for the info. And for taking the time to reply.
Think I will go strict carnivore immediately, as I also don’t see the point of waiting either.

I will definitely keep an eye on the carnivore thread.

Enjoy mid winter in Yorkshire!:wink:

I am English and my mother was from Yorkshire, but I left London and moved to South Africa 19 years ago. It’s 35 degrees here today, and I’m not talking Fahrenheit!!:hot_face:

Regards

John

(Robin) #14

Hi @Jesty, As you know from reading on this forum, There are as many different opinions and experiences and choices as there are people. After a while you will find one or two whom you recognize as good guides for your journey.

As you ask questions, others will surprise with their insight into your particular situation. You will think you have found THE answer for you and then several months later you might make a u-turn.

As you eliminate foods and narrow your focus, you will find that your best guide is your body. Especially when it comes to what food is NOT serving you.

Enjoy the journey. Be open to changing your mind. But mostly keep listening to your body. You got this!

(John) #15

Got it. Thanks.

(Karen) #16

Oooh lucky you it is freezing wet and gusty here. I live in Nottingham but my family were from Yorkshire. Its the OP who’s from Yorkshire :smiley: see you on the Carni thread sometime x