Help Interpreting 10 Days Off Keto

(Kenneth) #1

I have been fat adapted/Keto for just over a year. For the past ten days, I went totally off Keto… I mean TOTALLY; lots of deserts, alcohol, white bread, flour tortillas, potatoes, flavored coffee creamer, ect.

Ten days ago, 8am: BG:96, K: 2.8, GKI: 1.9, Weight: 160. That afternoon I went full bore on carbs and processed sugar. I ending my evening with a huge bowl of homemade pop-corn, popped in Lard!!! Last night, I had 14 traditional wings from BWW and a side order of French Fries; and weighted in last night at 172lbs.

This morning, I went back to one-meal-a-day Keto and did not eat until noon, where I had coffee w/HWC, three eggs, two tbs of Ghee, 4oz of sausage and an avocado. My 7pm test: BG: 88, K: 1.1, GKI: 4.44, weight 172.

My questions:

• I am pondering: HOW am I in Ketosis?
  • Is one year of fat adaptation so awesome, that one can go back to a high-carb lifestyle and then re-adapt this quick? Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Is the weight gain water weight, fat or both?
  • What else am I missing?

I was truly expecting my Keto-Mojo to read LO for the next 3-5 days.

Thanks for the thoughts!

(Alec) #2

No personal experience of your situation, but my opinions:

1. You are in ketosis because you have been keto/fasting for 24hrs. At that stage you will have burnt through some/most/all of the ingested carb load in your muscles, and they will be calling on fat again, hence the ketones.

2. You won’t have unadapted. The fat adapted machinery will still be there but unused if you are chowing carbs. Your year on keto buys you metabolic flexibility.

3. The weight gain will be a mixture of fat and water.

4. Keep calm and keto on. :grin:

(Kenneth) #3

Will do! I am stunned and amazed. I guess the key word is the development of “metabolic flexibility.” I remember back to about six months ago, I spent three days eating carbs and fell out of fat adaptation … it was horrible; it was way worse than the keto-flu.

Thanks!

(Scott) #4

This is interesting. It implies that your level of fat adaptation has changed from the six month mark to the one year mark. If this is correct the timeline of fat adaptation is much longer than I would have expected.

(Kenneth) #5

I started Keto 1-April-18; I went off program for the month of September, then restarted 1-October. It was in September that I believe I lost the fat-adaptation. I went off program again for Thanks Giving & Christmas (5-7 days each) and have been pretty observant since Christmas. Then came the Easter Junk Food Feast for 10 days.

The body is an amazing thing.

(Bunny) #6

Yes! Your ketones will usually be low after a year e.g. 0.2 to 0.8 (that’s normal and what they should be), the longer you have been in ketosis the easier it is to bounce right back in! I think you burn (oxidize) glucose much more efficiently when you do choose to eat higher carbs and I also think it is healthy to do so occasionally. You could eat boiled potato’s only (temporarily) and still be in ketosis and burn much more body fat (subcutaneous and visceral).

(Lisa) #7

Bunny, do you think this is true for people who still have fat to lose (but have been in ketosis for a while and are fat-adapted), or only for lean individuals? Or maybe that doesn’t matter? This is an interesting topic to me. Thank you for your thoughts!

(Bunny) #8

Might depend on how many copies of the AMY1 gene you have in the saliva which only produces the amylase enzyme (what digests carbohydrates) in the salivary glands but that still may not matter? The reason for this is, is it resets your thyroid, ghrelin and leptin signaling axis.

The more copies of the AMY1 gene you have the more likely you are to have a normal BMI constantly? (that’s from the research)

(Lisa) #9

Interesting! I’ll read more about that, thank you.