Help finding a Medical Doctor that supports keto, please

(Steve Stephenson) #1

Didn’t the American Diabetes Association recently release statistics that indicate 50% of all Americans are at least prediabetic? You’d think that more Medical Doctors would be trying LCHF / keto to treat their own prediabetes. OTOH, they’re probably happy to take the medicines they have been prescribing and even see their own appendage amputations and blindness as inevitable.

But on the off chance that you know of some near Westford, MA, please let me know.

Thanks,
-Steve

(Liz ) #2

Word. I’m keeping an eye on this thread, I’m in Lowell :wave:

(Steve Stephenson) #3

Hi, neighbor!

(Liz ) #4

A while back I looked through a collection of “Keto friendly” doctors someone had posted, Jimmy Moore maybe? & the only ones i could find in eastern MA were psychiatrists?? Which, ok, great. But we need PCPs. So I hope the Keto truth spreads & we can find more useful healthcare.

(Steve Stephenson) #5

I agree; licensed medical doctors in internal medicine.

I’ve been trying to find one for my mother last couple weeks, she’s in Roslindale and I can’t find one within 50 miles! Figure’d there’s be a TON in Cambridge and that general area but can’t find any. I’d hit the Doctor directory for your ins company and focus on DO’s. Many more DO’s are into functional medicine than MD’s but that’s slowly starting to change. Many also may be into FM but not advertise that way which manke them invisible.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

The Obesity Medicine Association is very keto-friendly. Dr. Westman is a recent past president. I believe their Web site has a find-a-doctor feature.

(Steve Stephenson) #8

No help. None in MA or NH that even mention low carb. A lot with bariatric surgery options (that’s where the money is).

(Andi McNamara) #9

I just moved to Waltham and am looking for the same. A few months ago I emailed Dr Thomas Seyfried and he responded that he knew of no keto friendly doctors in the Boston area. I have always considered Boston to be at the forefront of medicine, but it looks like we are being left behind. That’s a shame!

(Liz ) #10

Ugh, I guess we are surrounded by the best that corporate medicine can offer with outdated ways of approaching healthcare & fully beholden to pharmaceutical companies. It’s a real shame.

(Steve Stephenson) #11

@carl are there keto supportive primary care physicians (MDs) in the New London area? Did Heal Clinics find/convert any at KetoFest 2017?

If you need one in Wichita, Kansas…I can TOTALLY recommend Dr Jeffery Davis at Prairie Health And Wellness. His clinic has a satellite or two, one in Hutchinson, KS and the other one I don’t remember. (Dodge City maybe? One of his minions, Safia Lyon is my usual, and she is awesome too! ( She’s a P.A. I believe??)

I have rockstar status there, having lost 140 pounds in 11 months. I have a tested 4.9 HbA1C etc and they all whisper when I go in at 63 years of age, having been FAT for almost 5 decades. 185 now.

Does anyone have one in the Kansas City, Kansas area to recommend? (Overland Park, specifically.)

Thanks!

(Boston_guy) #13

I go to a functional/DPC doc in Natick outside Boston.

Pros:

• he’s highly available, can get an appointment easily… have his personal number to text/call if needed.
  • will run tons of tests. The tests are zero balance to you: the lab takes whatever insurance pays them.
  • does not push statins
  • chemistry geek. Likes informed patients. Knows thyroid issues.
  • friendly and personable
  • great staff
  • With the DPC model, interests are aligned… they want to keep you healthy and coming back IMO.

Cons:

• He’s not big on keto. Thinks it down regulates thyroid. So we have a “professional disagreement”. I don’t have a big problem with this; I’ve been making tweaks and we keep re-testing every month or so. Healthy keto people are rare unicorns to most docs… they just don’t know what’s possible.
  • not super open to new ideas, but that’s true of every doc I’ve ever encountered… every patient has their own guru and theories.

Cost-wise with zero-balance labs I think it’s worth it even at $90/month ($60 if you’re under 50), because you don’t have to worry about lab fees. Here’s his blog to get some idea on his thinking. http://www.patriotdirectfm.com/blog

(Roy D) #14

Below is a link to another thread discussing where to find keto friendly doctors

Click on the title to expand to the full thread

(JGL) #15

I live in NYC now, but was born in Lowell and raised in Chelmsford!

(Andi McNamara) #16

Thanks, I’ll check this out. I have a new Dr. and am meeting with her next week. Hopefully it will go well and I won’t have to find a new Doc!

When I tried searching for any near me they were all dieticians or alternative medicine doctors… No Primary care physician :disappointed_relieved:

(Steve Stephenson) #18

Not a viable option for a retired public school teacher on MediCare.