Help complete novice

(Jessica McKinney) #1

I do not even know where to begin or how this works! I was just recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and the Keto diet was recommended by my doctor but I don’t know how to begin. I just want simple straight forward information. Not sure what macros are and what that does but here are mine calories 2114 protein 141 carbs 113 fats 112 I am 40 5’7”. And weigh 210lbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #2

This thread is a great place to start.

The most important thing is to keep your carbohydrates at 20 grams or under - every day. Why are you eating 113 grams of carbs? - that is not keto. I am assuming that is what you have been eating prior to keto. Tell us what you are eating. Drink a lot of water and use a lot of salt. Eat a reasonable amount of protein, and eat fatty foods when you are hungry. The above link will give you a list of acceptable foods, and answer a ton of questions.

Good luck and keep us posted.

(Jessica McKinney) #3

If you look at my post I said I was starting Keto today not that I have been doing it so when I calculated my Macro that is what it said my carbs were, and reading frequently asked questions is just like reading information online, it is to much information and I get overwhelmed because I was in a horrible car accident and suffers a head injury so I get overwhelmed easy!

(Bob M) #4

Just keep your carbs low, near or below 20 grams per day. That’s the main rule.

Second rule: don’t eat seed oils (canola, soybean, sunflower, etc.).

That’s it.

(Brennan) #5

A good place to start would be with the podcasts. No reading required, you could start at the beginning or select topics that sound relevant to your situation. The are ~3 years with of episodes to go through so pick and choose might be the best way to start.

*2 keto dudes podcast I mean.

(mole person) #6

When you say you want simple, straightforward information, are you looking for rules on how you should be eating, information on why the diet is effective, or both?

Find a place to record your foods. I do fatsecret but I know people often recommend cronometer. Whatever works for you. Get a food scale to measure foods.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #8

Start with a Keto Calculator - https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
After that read this - https://www.ruled.me/start-here/

Read as much as you can, then come back here and ask us any questions you don’t understand.

(Cindy) #9

Jessica, I keep my keto very simple.

• 20 g of total carbs per day or LESS (I strive for as few as possible because I’m the type to want to push the limit if I say “20” is ok…then I’ll wind up eating more).
  • Don’t be afraid of fat…eat the fattier meats, add butter, olive oil, avocado, olives, etc to add interest to your meals.
  • Only above ground veggies (so no potatoes, beets, carrots, etc). I like cabbage, broccoli, celery, green beans, etc.
  • So focus on protein and fat for a meal, make veggies a true side dish.
  • Eat when hungry (especially when you’re first adapting to this!), but do NOT eat when you’re not. No need to eat “3 squares a day” or to eat a minimum number of protein/carbs. Just focus on your satiety signals.