Help a newb out

(Brandi Ramirez) #1

Hey y’all! So I’m week 3 on keto. I’ve read several books and articles and reviewed meal plans etc and I’m not quite sure I’m doing it right. I don’t have a blood glucose meter (gasp) and I didn’t use Ketostix because everyone said it was useless. What I did do was a 36 hr fast, HIIT first day, yoga second and drank lots of water, with a little salt and bone broth. Then started my keto diet on day 2 in the evening.
Typical day looks like
Bulletproof coffee- 1 tblspn mct oil, 1tblspn ghee, 2 tblspn heavy whipping cream, little real whip cream on top sometimes as a treat with sugar free syrup for flavor if I want it.

Lunch is usually chicken or tuna salad or leftover from the night before. Sometimes I do a lunch box with ham, a few cheese cubes, peanuts, maybe porkskins or cream cheese

Dinner is a protein and salad with olive oil dressing or spaghetti squash with a creamy sauce and protein

My weight loss in the 3 weeks is 5lbs. I’m 5’9 starting weight was 178. I’m 34-female

I got a really good few days with amazing energy and sleep. Then it was back to being sleepy. Now I’ve got the funky breath and some energy back but not like before. I don’t think I’ve quite got this right. Suggestions and directions appreciated immensely.

(Bunny) #2

The 7 Reasons Why You Are Tired on Keto (Ketogenic Diet): In this video, Dr. Berg talks about the 7 reasons why you are tired on Ketogenic Diet. He also talks about the ways to improve energy.

1. You need more B Vitamins (especially B1 and B5) – these 2 vitamins are crucial in the metabolism and the ability to make energy.
  2. Increase Potassium (Large Quantities of Vegetables)
  3. Deficiency of Stomach Acids (Apple Cider Vinegar, Sea Salt, Betaine Hydrochloride )
  4. Hidden Carbohydrate
  5. Decreased Blood Sugars (Feeling Tired)
  6. High Blood Sugar (Tired After Eating)
  7. Needs More Sleep

(Brandi Ramirez) #3

So I added a vitamin. Take magnesium at night. I bought an electrolyte additive for my water with b vitamins (mio) I know I’m not getting enough veggies for sure. I’ll try and fix that.

(Running from stupidity) #4

Here come the Carnivores in three … two … one …

FWIW, my food for the day will be a steak. Probably just a steak.

Also, a good way to check ketones is a cheapo blood alcohol content meter from ebay for $10 or so.

(Brandi Ramirez) #5

How do I use that to check my ketones? I love meat. All meat. I love veggies too I just got burned out on them.

(Running from stupidity) #6

Super easy, super cheap. Basically, you just need to blow into it.

Errr, that thread gets a bit down in the weeds, though :slight_smile:

(Brandi Ramirez) #7

Well thank you for that advice. I feel the same. Not spending hundreds of dollars on it. $10 I can spare. I think my issue is missing vitamins and electrolytes. I’m losing inches and fat even if not a lot of pounds. I just want to make sure I’m doing it right. I felt somewhat better today adding electrolytes and vitamins. Step 1.