Hard to reach the protein. Is this a problem?

(Toni Brown) #1

What if I don’t reach the protein?

(Tovan Nhsh) #2

How short of your target are you falling? What is your protein goal & how did you determine it?

If you’re a few grams off here or there it’s not a serious issue. If you consistently eat well below what you need you run the risk of losing muscle mass. I’ve experienced it first hand & it’s a pain to recoup.

(Toni Brown) #3

It was suggested to reach 70% a day and I’m only reaching 30%

(Empress of the Unexpected) #4

Did you mean 70 grams? Chronometer has me eating 57 grams a day.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #5

And what protein foods are you eating? I actually have the opposite problem, I go way over every day, as I find meat to be the most filling food.

Forget macro percentages. Keto is a very simple concept – minimal carbs, adequate protein, fat as needed (for satiety).

You want to keep carbs low, because that’s what keeps you in ketosis. The 20 grams of net carbs is a lowest common denominator where ketosis is almost certain, but many can go higher. But, in general, the lower the better.

You need to make sure you get enough protein, because your body needs them. It will vary depending on your body mass and activity level. Make sure you get enough. More is better than less, and it’s hard to get too much.

After that, it’s fat and calories. If you’re trying to lose weight, you’d want less fat. But if you do get hungry, you need to eat more fat. Maybe a little protein. But as few additional carbs as possible. Early on, it’s OK to go above a calorie goal. Later on, for most people, getting into ketosis provides a natural appetite suppressant.

When I do the calculators, the only thing I take away is the grams of protein I may need.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #7

70% is way too high. Fat should be closer to 70%, but grams are more important than percents.

(Toni Brown) #8

Around 40-60 grams

(Toni Brown) #9

Pork chicken beef

(Toni Brown) #10

Thank you

Yes, protein is important. And if in doubt eat more than less, in my opinion. . There is a big debate going on about this in another thread. I doubt all involved in this debate will eventually agree. Here Is the “too much protein turns to sugar” a myth?
I do not know how old you are but if you are getting old so to speak you should up your protein anyway, as you will need more protein as you get older. Here is a link to a Dr Ted Naiman Presentation, "Too much protein is better than too little " you may find interesting. I have posted this several times and no one has knocked it, as far as I know on this forum.
https://player.vimeo.com/video/273508045
Yes, make sure you eat your protein.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #12

I usually eat bacon for breakfast and a pork chop for dinner and that alone, (combined with any cheese I’ve eaten) takes me over my protein macro for the day.

(Toni Brown) #13

Thanks a bunch

Busy day today as of the last three days. Pretty much all the same. No breakfast, no lunch and worked all day. This evening for dinner I had three pork chops, with plenty of fat delicious.
But I may well have fallen short on protein, but I will make it up tomorrow, day off. Am I hungry ? No. :wink:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #15

Pork chops are the best! Well, any meat, really!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

@Toni_Brown We generally recommend getting somewhere between 0.8 and 1.5 g/kg of lean body mass/day, which is probably what you were eating before. Eat the same amount of protein, restrict your carbohydrate as much as you can, top up with fat, and you’re golden.

In fact, keeping carbohydrate low is well over 90% of the deal, the rest is all fiddling to find the sweet spot.

(Toni Brown) #17

Ok thank you so much!

(Toni Brown) #18

Thank you for this info