Guess i expected too much

(Susan) #11

Thank you, Ellen, but I am so inspired daily here with all the people that keep me on track and well that is what is awesome about this forum. Everyone really encourages one another; sharing their successes, struggles, advice and encouragement =)!

(William P Pochis) #12

I have eatmost meats I reg eat burger, pk chops,eggs, bacon, cheese,pepperoni, chicken wrapped in cheese,steak, veges, cabbage,brocoli, cauliflower a few carrots,gr beans, that’s the basics

(Susan) #13

If you get a program to check the carbs and make sure you are having the 20 grams or less, that is really important. Carrots are very high in carbs, by example, so many people people avoid them until Maintenance. There are a lot of hidden carbs; and vegetables are scary if you eat very many. That is why I like the cronometer, it really opened my eyes to that, to keep them low =).

(Mimi) #14

I’m new too. I’ve lost 2 pounds in 10 days, if that helps give some perspective. I think you’re doing great.

You’ll get great advice here and lots of encouragement. Good luck and stick with it.

Also, Do you drink sugar free sodas?aspartame in anything? I noticed on days when I have aspartame, I don’t lose anything at all.

(Mimi) #15

Congrats Susan! You really are an inspiration and so kind to encourage all of us starting out.

(Kirk Wolak) #16

Bill, check out my article: The Levers of Power (What to Measure, What to Control) to avoid stalling/stalls

Every Body is different. You need days to empty out the liver. And your body has to “learn” how to make ketones. And there are a MILLION mistakes you could be making. Reading that article should help.

But for me, I had to stay below 5g of carbs/day. Eventually realized I am a natural Carnivore… If you are including Dairy, I recommend cutting it out. I have 3 people I have helped who stall out if they consume HWC in their coffee.

I have one who cannot lose if he has ANY Artificial sweetener in his coffee. And I have more nuances than Cybil had personalities!

If all else fails, consider going full on Carnivore for 28 days. It’s keto on keto, in my book. It is a really cleansing type diet. Also, don’t snack, and add IF (Intermittent Fasting) to the regimen.

Keto works by squelching hunger! So you can eat less often. Since you are a big person, I do NOT recommend any Exercise until you fell you MUST move. If you can walk laps in a pool, that would be about it. HINT: just being in COOL water will raise your metabolism!!! Actually your metabolism increase will do more than the swimming itself does to burn calories. So get the 80/20 going.

Just go slowly. And read that article. You really should measure your blood glucose and blood ketone levels so you KNOW what your body is doing.

A friend just went Carnivore and broke a huge plateau. Now has lower Morning Glucose and Higher Morning Ketones than she has seen eating OMAD. Again, it appears DAIRY was holding her back!

Good Luck!

PS: I am down over 100lbs and working on the maintenance!

(William P Pochis) #17

thank you

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

Forgive me, but you lost a couple of pounds in less than a week, and you don’t think that’s fast enough? Boy, oh boy!

The key to a well-formulated ketogenic diet is keeping your carbohydrate intake under 20 g/day. Unless you are exceptionally insulin-resistant, this will reduce your insulin level low enough for you to start shedding excess fat. But it is not going to come off all at once, and if you are extremely insulin-resistant, the fat may not start coming off until you drop your carb intake even lower.

If you are using any kind of artificial sweetener, it could hold you back. Such sweeteners are not a problem for everyone, but just be aware that they might be for you. Also cut out every source of sugar from your diet, even if the amount of sugar still fits within your carb limit. Sugar is not your friend.

Don’t try to cut your calories. Instead, eat enough protein and fat to satisfy your hunger. At first, this will probably still be a large amount of food, but you should quickly find your appetite dropping. At that point, your body will be setting your food intake at a level that will allow it to burn off extra stored fat along with the fat you are eating. But the point is to allow your body to decide how much food it needs. Intentionally restricting calories only leads to trouble down the road, trust me. You have embarked on a completely different way of eating, one that works with your body instead of against it, and the rules are different from what the official government guidelines tell us.

(Pamela) #19

Hi, like everyone else is saying, you have to give it time. I lost 23 lbs in 3 months so far. It’s hard at first to carve out suitable keto meals that fill you up and give all the nutrition you need. You will need to know the exact carb content of the food you eat, and that means measuring food and using a macro tracker. The carbs can creep in.

Sometimes I lose nothing for 2 weeks, then the scale suddenly registers 4 lbs off. It is frustrating, but that’s how I lose. You need to give this time, your body is still learning how to burn its own fat for fuel. You only have control of one thing, and that is how you eat today. Take this one day at a time.

And congratulations on getting started!

(Marianne) #20

Just read it; love it.

(Marianne) #21

That sounds good.

I would say eat good three meals a day (until you feel you naturally don’t want to - don’t force it), keep the carbs low, get plenty of fat, get enough salt, and don’t count calories. You’re going to be doing this a while - you don’t want to be hungry or feel deprived. You want to enjoy and look forward to your meals. Make sure you eat enough and eat things you enjoy.

It will work; you will see.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

Before my weight stabilized, I had an episode where after two weeks of not losing much, I got on the scale and found that I weighed 20 lbs. (9 kg) less than I had the day before. That was my only big whoosh, but it just goes to show that you never know. :balance_scale:

(Bob M) #23

Are you sure one leg wasn’t off the scale? :wink:

(Robert C) #24

I wondered about 20 pounds in a day also.
That seems like a lot of time in the bathroom - 1.25 pounds of something per hour for each of 16 waking hours.
I vote for scale error!

(Bunny) #25

OMG 25 to 30 pounds in 4 to 5 weeks?

Oooh that looks like automatic regain type of weight loss?

Wish I could have lost that much body weight in such a short amount of time?

4 pounds a month would be more reasonable?

That scale will fool you real quick with muscle gain!

(Bob M) #26

I’ve lost 5-7 pounds when fasting a day, many times. But 20 might be a little tough for one day.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

I refused to believe my scale until it continued to report the same lower weight for nearly two weeks.

Whooshes are fairly common on a ketogenic diet, however, and from what I’ve read on these forums, 20 lbs. is by no means the largest amount possible to lose in a single whoosh.

The hypothesis I’ve read on these forums is that fat cells fill up with water to replace the missing fat, until the day comes when they decide they’re not going to get the fat back, so they let go of the water all at once. This explanation makes no sense to me, though the phenomenon itself is undeniable.

(Jill F.) #28

Welcome @bp52 glad you are here! Be patient with yourself and give it some time.

(Marianne) #29

I wish I would experience one!!!

(Pamela) #30

Gosh that’s almost the only explanation that makes sense. 10 days the scale goes up and down over the same 2 pounds. Then all of a sudden, down 3. Overnight. woosh :grin:

Now if we could just figure out the trigger we could have the steady plodding weight loss we all count on.