Got myself a meter....what are my targets?

(Trudy) #1

Hello clever Ketonians, After 13 months I’ve decided to purchase a blood ketone meter to experiment a little. I’m in maintenance in terms of weight but want the other benefits of Ketosis (clarity, mood stabilisation). Honestly, I struggled last week with mood, that’s when I decided to order the meter. I tested my ketones at 1800hrs, ate Keto at 1300hrs, tested 0.4. I will do a fasting level tomorrow and track my eating. Long story short, should I just test fasting ketones? What is my target level for optimal mental health? TIA.

(Karim Wassef) #2

Can you measure both glucose and ketones?

My best indicator is the GKI index = glucose / ketone / 18

The idea is to get a better understanding of the hormonal state between insulin and glucagon.

GKI under 3.0 means fat loss & mental clarity in my n=1… that could be glucose <85 and ketones of >1.6 for example… or glucose of <54 and ketones of >1.0

I target ketones around 2-3 for mental clarity while fasting.

(Trudy) #3

Thank you for you response. The meter does measure glucose but I haven’t purchased the strips,I’ll look into that. Cheers!

(Karim Wassef) #4

The glucose strips are half the price of ketone strips for reference. Buy in bulk :slight_smile:

(Karim Wassef) #5

Here’s a fun look at how far you can go with a meter :joy:

Karim's Extended Fast Tracker - come along for the ride

(Khara) #6

Not sure what monitor you got but here’s a link for a quick GKI calculator and also a bit of an explanation on it.