Getting Fatter on keto

(Empress of the Unexpected) #27

Oh, sorry, I see you are at 14 weeks. You could still try the strips just to get a yes or no answer. Some members still turn the strips a dark color a year later.

(Diane) #28

Other things beside being or not being in ketosis can affect weight loss and body recomposition. Stress and not getting enough sleep, underlying health issues like hypothyroidism (low thyroid function), etc.

One thing I’ve tried which really seems to help is to supplement with ginger root capsules. It purportedly helps regulate the stress hormone cortisol. It helped me lose inches around my lower belly and thighs, even without weight loss.

I also started supplementing with magnesium which helped improve the quantity and quality of my sleep.

Just a couple of thoughts which came to mind when reading this thread.

Good luck!

(KCKO, KCFO) #29

All of this makes me think you are not getting enough fats.

It is also hard to stay under 20 gr of carbs if you are eating much dairy and nuts.

Try cutting back on the higher carb veggies too. Cauliflower and broccoli can cause bloating.

Are you using soy products? They can be problematic as well.

You might want to look at alternatives to keto, like paleo or Whole30, many thrive on those WOE as well. Not everyone thrives on keto. It is also not a weight loss diet, it is a healthy eating lifestyle for many people. You were well within your normal range to begin with, if you are gaining weight now, you might take a deep dive into any food sensitivities you might have. Whole30 is a good starting point to find sensitivities.

You can never rule out stress factor if not losing. Any injuries, are you facing other life challenges currently?

If you have been eating low calories for a long time on CICO WOE, then your body might need to do some healing. Calorie counting for YEARS kept me yoyoing up and down. Keto cured me of being obsessed with them, and I found fasting after a few months of eating keto and I finally got to my goal, and have maintained it for over a year now.

All the best sorting out what really works for you.

Thank you, I did not know this. Though I tend to like cauliflower more than broccoli, I wasn’t aware it could cause bloating. … I did feel somewhat bloated one day last week, but will be keeping this in mind next time.

Thanks.

(Amanda ) #31

Thank you both for your thoughts!

I take a magnesium supplement at night. My sleeping has never been better, so that is a huge win. I am in a very high stress work environment that won’t change any time soon, so i wonder if that is the culprit.

The keto breathalyzers look pretty expensive. I haven’t heard much about those.

I did order some keto strips so maybe that can tell me more about this story??

(Empress of the Unexpected) #32

Some of the keto breath monitors are pricey, but I have seen some on Amazon for under $20.

(KCKO, KCFO) #33

Here is the lengthy thread about cheap breathalyzers. I have a Greenwon, was about $10 from Amazon. It really helped me keep on track the first few months. Later after I started fasting a lot I found I didn’t need to use it too much I pretty much could tell if I was in ketosis or not. I still test from time to time if I haven’t fasted in the last few days.

(Amanda ) #34

So I got the keto stix and tested last night at 5pm, which showed trace keto.

Then I tested this morning after a natural 12 hour fast (6pm to 6am) and keto sticks showed no ketos.

Now, I’m 4 months into keto so will ketostix still show much?

(KCKO, KCFO) #35

I found they are only good at letting you know if you are dehydrated or not. Some people say they work for them, but that wasn’t my case.

Have you checked out the thread linked to message just above yours?

(Amanda ) #36

Yes, but when I looked online, the breathalyzers were really expensive, except for a few models that folks rated pretty badly. $50 and up.

(KCKO, KCFO) #37

The thread mentions several under $20. You want the old school cheap ones, you only need the acetone, not the alcohol detection. Newer more expensive models don’t even record acetone.

Greenwon worked and continues to work well for me. I pretty much know when I am in a higher state of ketosis. It is really measuring the stuff your body didn’t use as fuel. So really high numbers are a sign you are not burning ketones as fuel. Don’t chase super high numbers. Aim for nutritional ketosis. This info from Ketosummit.com might be helpful for you.
https://ketosummit.com/optimal-ketone-levels-for-ketogenic-diet

(Amanda ) #38

Fantastic info - thank you!!

(Leslie) #39

I’m really sorry that you are still struggling. I was hoping that by now everything would be falling into place for you.
Try not to get discouraged. I can imagine that you must be feeling frustrated and are just trying to stay motivated to continue.
I wonder if there’s not an underlying issue, as already suggested by several others here.

My first thoughts are about inflammatory processes and food sensitivity/allergies.
Did you give up the nuts and dairy? Many people are allergic to one or the other or both. There are some nuts that are very high in phytic acid which causes damage to our microbiome and may lead to inflammation of the intestinal tract and leaky gut.

Perhaps consider doing some research on anti-inflammatory foods. The are two doctors I have found on the web that offer some real nutrition solutions to inflammation. One is Josh Axe and the other is Eric Berg.

I personally don’t have gut problems but I did experience some issues related to inflammation and completely resolved those with their advice just by adding the right vegetables and fermented teas to my regime.

How are you doing with food prep? Are you still using processed dressings, mayo, margarine, cheeses, coffee creamers, seed or corn oils? Do you use apple cider vinegar in your water?

This process can be highly personal to individual needs. For some it requires working backwards. I have known some who needed to do a complete elimination diet and reintroduce one food at a time over the course of weeks or months in order to figure out which one(or ones)is the culprit.

Try to stay positive and calm
Keep coming back here, we will help. We want to help

(Leslie) #40

Right after leaving that post, I heard this podcast episode and about jumped out of my skin because it’s like she’s speaking to you, I think anyway.

https://overcast.fm/+K1gGMPAgc

Let me know if the format doesn’t work and I’ll try to link it in another way

(Maria) #41

Same here, 56. Just starting week 2.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #42

Keep us posted!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #43

And how much do you want to lose?

(Maria) #44

60 pounds, I’m insulin resistant I discovered last yr, and not a foodie, couldnt figure out why I kept ballooning up. Nice to meet you!:relieved:

(Amanda ) #45

@Lesliemont I have been wondering if I have some undiagnosed allergies or food sensitivities Since starting keto, I eat way more dairy than I used to as I find a cheese stick to be an easy snack, and having cream in my coffee is so delicious. I’ve recently backed way down on the dairy, but did not eliminate. I also eat nuts almost every day. As mentioned in the first post, I still get pretty hungry and I need fast portable snacks for my long 10 hour days.

I don’t use any processed dressings, mayo, margarine, coffee creamer or oils. I was paleo for several years before trying keto and had already eliminated all processed food from my diet for about 3 years now.

I looked up that podcast but Episode 41 hasn’t posted to itunes yet. I’ll look for it!

I also sent away for 23andme test and am curious if those health markers might identify some food sensitivites for me.

Thank you!!

(Maria) #46

Too many nuts will absolutely kick you out or prevent Keto I learned, especially eating daily, olive oil, cream, mayo are all Keto foods also. The only dairy I eat in Keto is cream and hard cheese. There isnt alot of dairy not sure why you say your eating alot if it?