Gardening and Keto

(Jacquie) #21

I haven’t seen lemon cuke before. Must check it out! We’ll start seeds indoors using every south facing window/sliding door we have. Then we’ll transfer to the greenhouse, a new one this year on a concrete slab with polycarbonate panels, as we tired of the more lightweight greenhouses getting destroyed in the wind. Hope it works.

(Jenn W) #22

Yeah the seed starting is a tough bit for me. My failure rate is high! Curious four year old boy and dog like to get into them! I did buy a grow light last year that can fit two of the 64 starter pods under it but it was again late in the game last year. This year I try again! Haha!

(Jacquie) #23

Grow lights are a great idea! I’m terrible handling tiny seeds but good at filling seed trays with planting mixture.:wink:

(Brenda Soderlund) #24

I got my Burpee catalogue a few weeks ago and started planning our garden for the year - city lot, raised beds, so small, but diverse. Then, after starting this WOE I began to wonder why I should bother since we’re supposed to keeps the carbs so low.

We grow herbs, spinach, arugula, cumbers, peppers, zucchini and tomatoes. Those are a given. But what else should we consider? Not broccoli! Like George HW Bush, we don’t like it. Last year we had several kinds of beans and peas but those aren’t allowed, right?. And with only 20 grams of carbs allowed, it seems like a lot of work that we won’t be able to use the results of. Am I missing something?

(Rebecca Huggins) #25

pea shoots are edible and have .2 g of carbs per 100 g serving so I would keep them in the garden
http://www.peashoots.com/peashoots-nutrition.htm

(Rebecca Huggins) #26

here is a link for starting seeds for zone 7 http://www.ufseeds.com/Zone-7-Planting-Calendar.html

(Jenn W) #27

I plan on at least one unicorn per season. One odd or unusual vegetable to try out.
Last year was two. I had ground cherries and lemon cucumbers. Both were amazing!! I’m not sure about the nutrition for the ground cherries. They are a weird cross between a grape and a tomato!
Growing both again this year and adding that cheese cauliflower as this year’s unicorn and maybe something else… haven’t finished going through my stack of catalogs yet!

Edit: so far I haven’t been able to find a reliable nutritional value chart on the ground cherries. Most places are saying at most 16 carbs per 1c with no fiber! Referring to this fruit as a super food is common across the board. I’m still planning on eating some come late summer as I only had one or two as a treat!

(Jacquie) #28

I grew ground cherries for a couple of seasons when I first started keto from Whole30. They have a lovely subtle pineapple flavour. I was at goal weight, so I merrily ate them (74 cals/cup) and then started testing FBG and BG. I was a thin pre-diabetic and those darn things spiked me almost every time. I haven’t grown them since. Sixteen carbs per cup with no fiber just isn’t worth it to me. It depends where you want to spend your 20 carbs. I’m leery of websites that claim it’s a superfood as, at least, one of those sites claimed it was loaded with fiber. :wink:

(Jenn W) #29

I hear you! That’s why I’m not citing any of those sites. My son still likes to find them and eat them so as a treat they are fine! Better than gummy worms and candy for the kids!
For me? Having one on occasion during harvesting? I think I can squeeze it in! Would be an interesting test so see the effect on my sugar as well since by the time they will be ready I’ll be one year + Keto!

(Jacquie) #30

I’ll be curious to know how it goes. I don’t think I could stop at one ground cherry. :slight_smile: