Fragility of keto and other dieters

(Bunny) #21

Think about it like this; is your weight loss or extra hunger and cravings from vitamin or micronutrient deficiencies Or are you over-eating vitamins?

Popping vitamins could be the problem?

A Boy Ate 150 Gummy Vitamins For Breakfast. This Is What Happened To His Bones.

Although the title is misleading he ate them over a period of days!

What is so interesting about the above video is the timing from ingestion to effect or symptoms which was really short?

You have two choices and maybe three:

MACRONUTRIENTS:

Sugar:

1. You choose to burn or oxidize glucose and you eat too much of it as you age you start storing it as fat.

Fat:

1. You choose to burn or oxidize fat and you eat too much of it you start storing it as fat.

Protein:

1. You eat only lean protein and you eat too much of it for too long, you may start becoming malnutritioned and risk micronutritional deficiencies and loss of beneficial gut bacteria and possible bone density long-term?

MICRONUTRIENTS:

1. Too much of one or some (essential vitamins) and not enough of to absorb the others or the toxicity of one?

2. Phytonutrient Anti-oxidant in ratio to carbohydrate intake?

3. There are no essential foods only essential nutrients[3]?

Footnotes:

[1] ”…Our rationale is based on four basic and well-established principles:

1. Meals contain an assortment of nutrients, not a single nutrient.
  2. Each meal or food item has a different assortment (ratio) of nutrients.
  3. Most of the nutrients function in various tissues and are not tissue specific [2].
  4. Nutrients are not limited to one specific metabolic pathway [2]. …” Source: Utilizing Dietary Nutrient Ratios in Nutritional Research: Expanding the Concept of Nutrient Ratios to Macronutrients

[2] “…Humans cannot synthesize vitamins A, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B7 (biotin), B9 (folate ), B12 (cobalamin), E and K but are able to synthesize some vitamin B3 (niacin) and D. …” …More

[3] Micronutrient Gaps in Three Commercial Weight-Loss Diet Plans

[4] “…Can diets such as keto actually contribute to cravings and the nutrient deficiencies that are making us fat in the first place? More importantly, is there a way to not only avoid these deficiencies, but to replace and correct them? How can we feel better (and healthier) when we’re shedding pounds when dieting? Let’s take a closer look at what the evidence shows us and how we can hack our way to nutrient and weight-loss success simultaneously. …” …More

(Door Girl) #22

I’m not celiac, and I don’t have antibodies to gluten. But I did go from 25+ migraine days a month to a handful a year when I gut out gluten. I also stopped a daily bloat of 4-5 inches in additional waist measurement and massively reduced my number of bathroom trips.

All I know is that over time the duration of my migraine and diarrhea went from a week to a faint shadow of that reaction for a couple hours. I still get the aura, but without the following migraine. And I have a couple bathroom trips (I.e. bio breaks) but then things go back to normal.

I’m not the only person I’ve heard that now can tolerate the occasional small exposure. It seems somewhat common that when the irritant (gluten) is avoided for long enough the body doesn’t react as strongly.

I don’t expect I could go back to normal eating without a problem, but someday I may try an artisanal sourdough as that is supposed to be more tolerable for those who react to gluten… when I can have butter on top, that is.

(Door Girl) #23

And my comment about bio breaks in exchange for dairy is that, at this point at least, I’ll happily go back to a life of diarrhea to be able to eat dairy. It has been my normal for so long that as long as the trips aren’t too frequent I really don’t mind.

I may feel differently after learning to eat dairy free for the better part of a year or more.

I had the same dairy issues. I found I can eat goat and sheep cheeses, as well as aged, hard cheeses such as Parmesan and even some very aged, sharp cheddar. Because these cheeses boast potent flavors, they are mostly used as condiments.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #25

I disagree… :drooling_face:

@atomicspacebunny
I bought those vitamins once. Yummy. I used to love gummy bears too - grew up with them. But it says on the bottle to beware. I guess I just knew not to eat more than 1-2 in the morning as I would with any other vitamin pill. I ended not buying them anymore because they actually posed a temptation! Its hard not to eat more when they tasted so good. So much for making medicine taste TOO good, eh?
Otherwise there was the case of a lady admitted to the hospital once with an unknown diagnosis. Everybody was stumped- even the professor.Until one day a medical STUDENT noticed that she had a bottle of vitamin A on her nightstand. She was poisoning herself.

I don’t think they aren’t good (it depends, of course). And I don’t think I had any type of addiction that requires me to not eating something for good or else I get addicted again. If someone has that problem, that’s different (I still don’t say they shouldn’t even touch that thing but they should be way more careful than me) but why would I keep myself from a nice treat that makes my life better and what is way more important, keep my rebellious/free self content? Even a tiny harm would worth it and I don’t see any harm in my proper sweets.
It’s fine our attitude is very different, I just can’t imagine what is wrong with sweets in general and why would I want to avoid them, it makes no sense to me. It seems fine to me if the one in question isn’t too addicted (we probably could argue about what level of addiction is bad but maybe we would disagree and I don’t actually care. read “isn’t addicted” then) and the dessert has proper, not harmful ingredients for the person.

Ok, chevre is a soft goat cheese and perfectly edible like other cheeses. But the hard cheeses are all concentrated in flavor…

(Door Girl) #29

My baby can’t handle any of those, so I’m exercising willpower. :slight_smile: Having a happy baby versus a cranky and unhappy baby is worth missing out on cheese. I tried, he cried more, I’ll wait. :slight_smile:

(bulkbiker) #30

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree but seriously if you can’t stop partaking of sweet treats then I’m afraid I’d consider it to be addiction.
As someone who has been through the same with bread like substances then I know it can be very hard.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #31

Have you considered going totally grain free?

it varies from person to person, but I have heard of success from other people who suffered from migraine…

(Door Girl) #32

I am totally grain free. I can usually stop oncoming migraines with a half teaspoon of salt, so I guess I’m lucky to have a couple different kinds.

The advice to totally avoid grains to deal with migraines is very helpful!

I probably can (I do it when I do carnivore days and never miss them) but don’t want to force it, it must come naturally, it’s my style. I am fine with slow but certain sweets will stay because it doesn’t makes sense to lose something positive when I don’t gain anything. It’s simply logical to me.
But if I have addicted to some, so be it. I am fine with good, not harmful addictions, why would they bother me? I wouldn’t suffer if I found myself without sweets, I don’t use them all the time in too big amounts without any reason… So it’s good. I don’t want a “no sweets” badge, sweets feel better when I happen to fancy them. But I still use them for getting my nutrients too, sometimes. They are food. One person gives up this, another that. I have simply a different (quite limited) set of food due to various things (my taste, circumstances, budget, experience, energy need, how my satiation works and so on). Things change. I am at the point where sweets already lost a big part of their significance, I don’t need them to keep my carbs low or get my nutrients anymore but they are pretty much present. And they are evolving, too, according to my changing tastes and needs.

(Jackie) #34

I have thought the same thing when I see how ill people become after eating carby foods. I sometimes indulge and don’t have these same effects. However, I have been gluten-free for 13 years due to gluten sensitivity. When I indulge, I don’t eat any gluten. The ill effects people describe are what I have when I unwittingly have gluten. Perhaps, these people are gluten sensitive and it’s the gluten that is making them sick and not the carbs in general? Just my thoughts on the matter.

I agree, it’s an allergic reaction. Gluten, dairy, any number of food allergies can cause a lot of discomfort to those afflicted. And, often one doesn’t realize what is wrong until that food is removed for some time and then introduced again.

(Paulene ) #36

After 4 months being fat adapted, I went high carb for 2 weeks (about 200g/day) to try beat a rash. Back to rice, pasta and my favourite high carb breakfast, an almond croissant, 5 days/week. Day 2 I was really, really grumpy and short tempered, after that - no difference. I was expecting my knees to ache, thinking to slow, craving, etc… but none strong enough to complain about. Back on keto now, and there is a small drive to eat, but not much. I’m taking from this is that the effects of being fat adapted take a while (more than 2 weeks) to wear off.