Five days off plan and oh the damage

(PSackmann) #81

Sorry you’re dealing with the slow loss, I am as well, which is one reason I stay away from the scale as much as possible. Otherwise, I would have been done by now

(April Harkness) #82

I back slid back in Jan (by overeating keto sweets and fat bombs) and then a full blown non keto binge in Feb. I gained wt…not to the degree of pre keto. In fact, what i gained still would look like some people’s after photos. But I was not happy. I put myself a few steps back. and it took a good month to get myself to undo the damage of days of binging. But it happened when I just trusted the process and ended up being a stronger keto-er. STrengthening my resolve and heck, got so sure of my keto-ness that I went carnivore.Had I not slipped up… I might have just been ok to coast on keto not knowing that carnivore was going to take my physique to even greater levels. AGain, in retrospect, I am glad it happened and glad it took a month to undo the damage. It made me not respect the hard work I put in and I made a promise to myself to not do that s***T again!

I think this is important. And mirrors as well. Just like we have social media detox. Scale and mirror detox is a good idea. If the need to measure and compare is still overwhelming, then just use the abdomenable tape measure. Like the snowman, it also does not need to be seen too often.

(traci simpson) #84

I weigh about once a week.

(PSackmann) #85

And that’s about 3 times as often as I can manage per month, anything more frequent gives me anxiety. I start to make all kinds of adjustments…well, it’s humid so add 4 pounds, this clothing weighs “x”, I have “y” as contents in my stomach, I’ve been exercising, add “z”… so very unhealthy mentally. My clothing is getting looser and I feel better, everything else is irrelevant

(Jennibc) #86

Interesting. I find that scale is my friend. It keeps me going. Even if I don’t show a loss for a month, it still keeps me going. Because it’s when I step away from it for a while is when I start to slip. Stepping on it every morning after I wake up is like a ritual. I don’t worry about a two pound gain if I have done nothing wrong, I just assume it’s water. Once we leave the shame behind regarding the number we see there it’s much less anxiety inducing.

(Jennibc) #87

BTW, finally got to a new low (barely) but got into a skirt I haven’t worn since the fall of 1994. The buttons aren’t even at risk of bursting. Now, there’s a nonscale victory! Someday I’ll get a better full length mirror .

(Susan) #88

Awesome, Jenni, you look terrific! You look very slim and trim, you are on Maintenance now? You don’t look like you have any more to lose from the pic =).

(Jennibc) #89

I am tucking my tummy in and it’s a good side angle, lol. I am 3.2 pounds from goal in that picture but could lose another 13 and still not be in the lean category. Because I am on the taller side so I can carry more weight - have a larger weight span for healthy BMI. But really, the scale is barely moving so I might as well be in maintenance.

(Susan) #90

Well you look really great, I am sure that in time the rest will come off and you will be where you want to be. I sill think that you look lovely =).

(carol mclintock) #91

You have such a tiny waist and look amazing!

(PSackmann) #92

I don’t know if it’s shame per se for me, I do know that when I weigh regularly I obsess way too much over the numbers, either up or down. I find myself wanting to celebrate if it’s down and feel wonderful for the day, then feel meh if it’s the same or bad if it goes up. Maybe someday I’ll get to the point that the number is just a number, not now though.

(traci simpson) #93

No way a female can not have a mirror. You know - make up, hair etc. lol

(Jennibc) #94

Thanks so much! I still have about an inch and half to go in the waist to fit back into the last of my old clothes. I am hoping I can make it. I am not sure how much of that is fat or how much of that is baggy skin. Only time will tell.

I had a tiny waist when I was younger and it should have raised alarms back in 1995 when my waist got thicker. I went from a life long pear at 29 to an apple. I didn’t consider I might be having issues metabolically.

(Flying Saucereyes) #95

Thanks for posting your journey. I’m going through something similar. 5 day school camp where I tried to eat as much on plan as possible and brought keto snacks along then a week later 4 day family camping with much too much alcohol. I prepared lots of dirty keto treats- almond flour crackers, choc gummies and brownies etc. I spent another week eating too many of them and so dismayed at my plus 2kg. You have given me hope and inspired me to ditch the sweet stuff and get back on the horse. I am very worried about my long summer holidays/Christmas break and can not afford to bring that 2 kg with me. I always do well with keto and OMAD when at work and super busy. Holidays are dangerous.

(Marianne) #96

Honestly, speaking for myself, I do it because once I start, I have a hard time stopping. Food is my drug of choice. I am so afraid of reawakening that demon that I don’t indulge in a lot of acceptable food - peanut butter, fat bombs, fathead pizza (although I would love to try it), etc. - I am just so afraid of bingeing or moving on to other stuff off plan that I have been craving. Every now and then I do pine for SAD things, not enough to go off, but as they say in OA, I’m just “a bite away.”

(Marianne) #97

Or don’t. I hate the scale and don’t weigh myself. Up or down, I can pretty much tell, at least enough to satisfy myself with an idea of where I am. @CarlKeller said (where you at Carl!?) “the scale is just a measure of your effect on gravity,” or something like that.

(Marianne) #98

Wow, that waist! That’s so gonna be me, girlll!

:laughing:

This discussion has been good for me to read, because I had a terrible backslide today. I’ve been doing keto for about four weeks (although the first 10 days were not to the letter until I found this group). I have been doing well, and at my do’s appointment this week I learned I had lost 9 lbs. since my last visit! Yeah, me! Went to breakfast this morning, ordered eggs and breakfast meats. I passed on the hash browns (something I usually love), but there were pancakes. I rarely eat pancakes, even at my most indulgent, but they looked so light and fluffy. I finished off one. Lunch (salad topped with grilled chicken) was not very good, so I guess I was hungry. Or hangry. Low carb ice cream. Then some cake. I feel sick. I will get back on the plan. Funny thing: I am an alcoholic (sober 31 years in November) and this feels like a relapse.

(Marianne) #101

Congratulations on your progress - four weeks and nine lbs. is great!

Please don’t beat yourself up. It happened. We have to discard that all or nothing mentality. This is a long-term way of eating so there are going to be many great days and successes ahead of you.

Use it as a reminder of how powerless we can be over food and how insidious that first bite can be. Carbage can be intoxicating in its look and taste. The kicker here is that many of us have so much shame about food, weight and overeating, that it leaves you feeling afraid and hopeless after it happens. One slip and it comes crashing down like a wave.

Put it behind you and carry on. Make sure you are eating enough to stave off “hangry,” and to fuel your body. You mentioned a grilled chicken salad. If you eat salad, make sure it’s ample and satisfying. For me, salad needs to be loaded to be enticing and enough - In addition to your protein, add hard boiled eggs, a few cherry tomatoes, cukes, cheese, olives, and of course full fat dressing.

Four weeks in, I would just encourage you to eat three meals a day to help with the cravings and hunger. You are teaching your body about satiety at this time. Feed it. If you do that, the day will come sooner than you think when you won’t naturally want to eat that often and you will probably reduce the number of times you eat a day. Until then, eat, get lots of fat, carbs low, and don’t count calories or worry about how much food you eat in a meal. If we are going to stick with this as a long term WOE, then we have to enjoy it.