First time trying keto issues

(Katie) #1

Hi so I tried to go keto a little while ago. I didn’t last. I didn’t get my period, I was trapped in an intense pms symptoms for weeks craving carbs and sugar. I ended up binging on crap and finally aunt flow turned up after this. I also had intense bad breath, body odour, and frequent utination at night. I don’t understand, so many people swear by it but I was having all these issues in the three weeks I was on the diet. Any ideas why? I was checking my blood ketone levels and they were high side of being in ketosis, I was consuming less than 20grams net carbs.
Any ladies out there that had similar, did it eventually come good? If ketones were the fuel we were supposed to use why did this happen to me?

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #2

This is normal for some women, it either goes away or comes on very strongly.

This is a strong indication of ketosis and it is a good thing and it will go away. Frequent urination is an indication that we are about to experience a ‘whoosh’, water weight loss.

That’s excellent, you should of kept going.

Ketones don’t become the fuel until you are completely fat adapted which can take between 6-8 weeks if you are someone who has little to no metabolic damage.

Honestly, you were on the right track and you were doing all of the right things. You should have pushed through the Keto Flu.
Can I suggest you start again, after your next period finishes, if you are that susseptible to craving that badly.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

It will help to assist depleting your glycogen stores for long enough that you stop craving carbs by the time your next period rolls around.

(Katie) #4

Thank you for replying :blush: I want to try again. When I get my period which will be soon I’m going to commence birth control pills to address hair loss and premenstral emotional issues ie anger and low mood, maybe that will help level out the hormone change due to keto, or maybe make it worse. Damn hormones :tired_face: maybe I’m asking for trouble doing it all at the same time

(Running from stupidity) #5

So true, given that’s what a lot of this eating system is about the control of.

So much for CICO, hey? Bit more complex than just that.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #6

@Katie1, I am on birth control and I started the week after my period, it made a big difference. I then lost my period for 2 months.

Absolutely stick to keto and get on birth control to regulate your hormones. Regarding mood; my moods have been stabilised for the last 5 months in a really unbelievable way. I rarely feel upset or anger or sadness, etc. It can definitely help to improve.

I think you are definitely committed, don’t be scared to go hard again after shark week is finished, it makes a MAJOR difference to carb cravings etc, try and keep your carbs low during your period also, as low as you can anyway.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #7

@katie1, have a read of this thread and you will see what a fu*king shitfight hormones reak on our bodies during periods - How eating Keto affects a woman's hormones and her monthly visitor