Finding it hard to drink enough water đź’§ Keto hydration alternatives?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

The fact remains that the mechanisms that regulate sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium in the body are all interrelated, and the system is designed to depend primarily on sodium intake. Keep that balanced, and the rest almost take care of themselves. The PURE and other studies have shown that even people with salt-sensitive hypertension do best getting between 4 and 6 grams of sodium daily, which translates to 10-15 grams a day of table salt (sodium chloride). The only difference between salt-sensitive hypertensives and those without that problem seems to lie in the shape of the risk curve outside the sweet spot.

In general, most people who keep their sodium intake in this range have no need of futher electrolyte supplements, although some people do have problems that require them to take supplements. Over-supplementing can be just as disastrous as a mineral deficicency. Dr. Noakes poignantly describes how, after the sports-drink companies spotted a marketing opportunity in his message of athletes’ needing to hydrate, racers began ending up in the hospital and even dying from over-hydration. He’s had to modify his message to “drink to thirst,” in an attempt to prevent that.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #21

That’s what I said. Lol

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
I’ve made the same point before and got the same response.

(Troy) #23

Try Ultima On amazon
For me, I only use 1/2 a serving or less
Just as a treat :smile:
Tasty and not too expensive. Goes a long way!
It’s awesome adding to ACV as well

Good Luck

(Bunny) #24

I like real mineral water? Not mineralized water!

Real Mineral Water vs. Mineralized Water

Both at the same time? I’ll have to try this. I’ve been flavoring my water with AS flavor drops, but I really want to get away from the AS. But I don’t like plain water. Thanks for the tip!

(traci simpson) #26

Yup! Same time.

(Marianne) #27

I drink bet. 80-90 oz. of water a day now, probably 50 oz. that are salted. I find you get used to it.

(Susan) #28

Try to drink lukewarm water, I am able to chug 32 ounces of that in a minute or less, it goes down easily.

I have a large cup that holds 32 ounces and I stand at the sink and do that a minimum of 5 times a day, then drink other water and green tea in the daytime, and herbal tea in the evening (all plain with nothing added).

I only drink tap water, so I just turn the faucet to the middle, and feel it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

How do people decide how much water they need to be drinking? Is thirst not a reliable guide?

I decided to try the Keto-ade that Dr. Berry and his wife came up with - you can watch it on Youtube.
Get your favorite water-bottle.
Start with 1/2 tsp of salt. (I use the Real Salt that comes in a bag.)
the add 1/2 tsp of No-Salt (Postassium Chloride)
5 drops stevia
1 ounce ACV- Braggs- with the “Mother” is my go-to.
a drop or 2 essential oils. I had some orange oil handy…so I used that. Discovered I needed about 5 drops to erase the taste of the ACV.
And just fill your bottle with water, or fizzy water- like Perrier or LaCroix.
I finish 1 - 24 ounce bottle of this “ade” a day, and feel fantastic.

I’ve read/heard more than once that once you’re thirsty you’re already slightly dehydrated. So perhaps it’s better to get ahead of it before feeling thirsty?

My understanding is that one would have to try really hard to drink too much, to a dangerous level (assuming electrolytes are kept up), so perhaps a little too much is better than not quite enough.

(Wendy) #32

I think it is. I don’t think we need to make keto complicated.

(Wendy) #33

I believe the body tells us when we need to drink. I know sometimes I ignore my thirst but my body is still telling me get a drink. I find if I have water easily accessable I do drink more often but not necessarily more volume.

(Jane Srygley) #34

Not sure if this is why, but potassium toxicity can happen. I knew someone who died from that specific diagnosis–her organs were shutting down at the time, but she had been on a potassium supplement (a big one) for a long time. The supplements in the store now tend to be very low mg’s so I don’t worry about them but I think they can be a problem if you have kidney issues.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #35

Yes. Hyperkalemia can be as dangerous as hypokalemia.

(Allie) #36

Works just fine for me. Surely thirst is the body letting us know it needs hydration?

(traci simpson) #37

Pique tea crystals

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #38

So, what does cause (lower) leg cramps on keto?
(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

Interesting. I wonder how many of those people were supplementing potassium. I don’t suppose there’s any way of knowing. (sigh)

I’d also love to have dietary statistics.