Fear tactics

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

I resemble that! :rofl:

(Bob M) #22

For protein, it was 2017 and the idea was that protein = candy bar in terms of blood sugar response.

So, I spent >$1,000 of my own money and bought a year’s supply of Free Style Libre from my wife’s sister, who lives in Sweden (where you don’t need a prescription).

I did tests like this:

160 grams of protein, and basically zero blood sugar response.

Now, that was back when I was fasting 36 hours twice a week, but it didn’t matter. My blood sugar is flat while eating keto. For instance, here’s some from early 2018:

No sugar rise anywhere, and if I asked you to point out where I ate, you couldn’t (nor could I).

The two times when I did tests I thought would be completely opposite from what I actually got:

1. Eating protein = candy bar (nowhere close).
  2. Eating high saturated fat = satiety (cause 20+ pounds of weight gain that took 2 years to remove).

Some of us have been doing this a long time. Anyone remember tiger nuts?

Edit: Oh yeah, I went from high fat a la Jimmy Moore’s Keto Clarity to eating these types of meals. What did I find out? That for me, protein is way more sating than fat. (That should’ve cued me into what would happen when I ate high fat via The Croissant Diet, but alas I had fallen into the trap of believing in mouse studies.)

(Bob M) #23

I know you think this is true, but it’s not. I’ve been keto longer than you have, by quite a stretch, and my thyroid numbers are fine. (Just because things like reverse T3 aren’t “normal” doesn’t mean it’s bad.) And, I’ve gained a lot of strength the last 2 years to prove it. I still fast too, though admittedly nowhere near as much as I did.

All douche aside, Feel free to show me your copies of my labs, because I have them and I’m pretty sure you don’t.

(Bob M) #25

Show me yours and I’ll show you mine. Keto 5.5 years here:

Furthermore, you’re not listening. Because something on paper is “low” or “high” does not mean it’s unhealthy. Ketosis is different, and things like T3 uptake are lower BECAUSE IT’S NORMAL for someone in ketosis.

(Alex) #26

This was amazing to watch (still in the middle). Finally!

No, it doesn’t, but when you used to have a running metabolism, then you don’t, and conveniently T3 is down and TSH is high… then it fits. Which was my case.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

One so often gets the impression that people are worrying because of a measurement, not because they are actually having a problem. But in my book, having symptoms and verifying with a measurement is the exact opposite of that.

Coincidentally, I’ve been thinking all day about a reference I saw a while ago on these forums to “asymptomatic low testosterone” as a serious problem. I’m still trying to figure out why it’s a problem, if there are no symptoms. It’s like the people who get worried about low serum glucose, when they only know because their glucometer told them so, not because they are actually feeling hypoglycaemic.

On the other hand, there are conditions that can be deadly but that don’t make us feel bad until the catastrophe happens, so I suppose I shouldn’t really get too snarky here.

Oh, and Bob—could you please get Brad to investigate a glazed doughnut diet? I like croissants, but glazed doughnuts were my carb of choice, lol! I’d love an excuse . . . :grin: