Fast heart rate!

(Edith) #21

If you look up my name, you can find another thread I post a lot on about having palpitations.

I’ve had problems on and off with palpitations since June 2018. At the time I thought my electrolytes were fine, but looking back, I probably wasn’t getting enough.

I really upped my veggie intake to get more potassium naturally, but I still wasn’t getting more than about 2000 mg of K per day. I tried potassium citrate (300 mg 3x/day) but I think the citrate irritated my stomach. The No Salt seems to work the best for me.

I feel better with the increased potassium. My resting heart rate (which had been creeping up over the past several months) over the course of about two weeks went back down to where it was 6 months ago.

I am relatively petite so I don’t think it is truly possible to get all the potassium I need each day through food alone. I even wonder if I ever was able to get my RDA for potassium. It is such a high number.

In The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, Stephen Phinney mentioned potassium intake of about 2.5 g Potassium with 5g of salt, but I recently saw a talk of his on YouTube where he showed a graph of optimal potassium intake which, if I recall correctly, was around 4g. I think he even mentioned using Lite Salt that has sodium and potassium.

So, I guess, in summary (sorry for such a long post) for me, adding in 1000 mg of potassium has certainly not been detrimental and has helped. I don’t want to add any more though, because I do understand the perils of too much potassium.

Thanks for that! Is there less sodium in pink Himalayan salt? If so, if one needs 12g of salt daily, how much in grams would I need in pink Himalayan salt?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

There are other minerals besides sodium chloride in Himalayan salt, but not enough to worry about. For our purposes, it’s the same as any other salt.

Awesome. I’ve upped my salt intake to around 10 grams in the form of Himalayan, and the getting the rest from food (mostly meat which isn’t high). So I think I’m taking in around 14-15g salt daily. Is that adequate?

Cheers.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

That should be good, from what I understand. :+1: