Exogenous Ketones?

(Tisha Jolene Eby) #2

Following.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

I think taking them are a stupid idea to begin with.
Why bother? Your body can make REAL ketones.
They are questionable, and many within the Keto Field don’t like them at all.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #4

You are losing 2.5 pounds a week? You don’t need them. Your body is making all you need.

(Running from stupidity) #5

They help the companies selling them, that seems to be about the limit of their assistance. (Well, and they help people register higher ketones in tests, but that’s not the same as having and utilising them.)

Skip. :slight_smile: Not needed!

There’s no point. If you’re body is trying to store fat, it will turn ketones into acetyl CoA, and then back into fat. If you’re burning fat, your body will be making plenty of it’s own ketones.

Their only use is if you’re treating a condition that responds directly to the presence of ketones, shuch as epilepsy, Alzheimer’s, or parkinsons. If youre just trying to get in shape, there’s no point. Same with mct oil. I use mct oil sometimes because I bought a bunch back before I knew better, but if I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldn’t bother.

(TJ Borden) #8

Quick answer? No. There are legitimate therapeutic reasons some people want/need to maintain certain ketone levels. For those people, exogenous ketones MIGHT be beneficial. For the purpose of weight loss and/or reversing metabolic issues, they do absolutely nothing.

For weight loss, the destination, and where themagic happens, is fat adaptation. Ketosis is the path. Chasing ketone levels is a waste of time… in my opinion.

(Allie) #9

It would be a great way to make expensive pee.

(TJ Borden) #10

Good point. I keep forgetting that might be some people’s goal :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Running from stupidity) #11

And pee that works well on pee strips (and which helps demonstrate that pee strips are really not much use).

(Reina Noemi) #12

Thank you everyone!!! Im not going to get them, i had found some raspberry ketones that were not at all expensive and had thousands of reviews on Amazon and almost 5 stars so i was just curious if they would do anything “extra” for me. But I’ll definitely be skipping. Thanks :heart:

(Allie) #13

They’re not even the same thing we are all talking about, but still, save your money as they don’t even work.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #14

The chemistry is questionable for commercial ketones relative to the ketones we make. Without getting too technical there is this concept of Stereoisomerism where isomers differ only in 3-dimensional space (how the molecule fits into space). For bio-active ingredients sometimes only 1 orientation works the desired way. Commercial ketones are a mix of Stereoisomerism and the body tends to produce mostly 1 orientation. Frankly, we don’t know how the different isomers will be tolerated long term in the body.

Maybe this will turn out not to be a problem but maybe it will be a problem long term. These isomers are somethings referred to as “chiral”. For those interested in this more: http://jab.zsf.jcu.cz//2_2/patocka.pdf

So buyer beware.

Raspberry ketones are a different thing. Yes, they are ketones in the strict chemical sense, but they aren’t even close to the kinds of ketones we’re talking about on a ketogenic diet. They are supposed to promote fat burning by activating a certain receptor (trp 1 vanillin or some such. Not going to bother googling it.) Like many supplements, they seem to only be useful if you are a mouse. They do jack squat in humans.

If only I were a mouse. A few common supplements and I’d have huge rippling muscles, almost no body fat and an absolutely gigantic penis.

(Jennifer A Brill) #16

Hi,
I’m 30 days in and haven’t been able to move the scale yet…but you mentioned something about the mct oil being bogus? Can you elaborate for me?
Btw, I have tracked my macros from day one, reduced my total calorie intake at day 10. Still no weight progress, but other things that ail me are slightly improving. But I would like to know if taking mct is an expensive waste of time. Thanks in advance for your experienced wisdom.

(Running from stupidity) #17

Why did you do that? It’s often a bad idea.

(Jennifer A Brill) #18

When I looked at my BMR, it looked like I was taking in too many calories. Still very new to this.

(Running from stupidity) #19

Yeah, I wouldn’t worry too much about that. Generally speaking, this is a HORMONE control diet, not primarily a CALORIE control diet.

I highly recommend The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung. It’s a mostly good and easy read.

I wrote a post the other week about this, and there’s good comments on it as well. Might be helpful, maybe.

They’re great for energy when you have none, and will give you that hyper alert mental clarity we all love at first when we start, but then kinda loose it. As far as weight loss, really makes no difference. Many people will bash them, conveniently it’s typically the ones who have never taken them and have no REAL opinion on them, just repeating other peoples. They definitely have their advantages and their a great supplement when the use case is right. What they are NOT is a way to speed up weight loss, or a way to get “back into ketosis” after you down a pizza and a hot fudge sundae.

Mct oil raises ketones because that’s the only way it can be metabolized. For weight loss, ketones are an effect, not a cause. Ketones in your blood, breath, and urine are a sign that you’re burning fat. They don’t make you burn fat.