"Exercise is not an effective tool for weightloss" is nonsense

I do a McGuff type resistance training workout and a SMIT workout a couple of times a week. I think they’re very effective at increasing my strength and VO2, respectively. I think they help with weight loss, improve my mental state and energy level, and increase glucose utilization in skeletal and cardiac muscles. But they’re not more effective at improving IR as fasting, which I also do.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #62

This reply also applies to @VLC.MD: I do not test blood ketones or glucose. I’ve tested my glucose on my aunt’s glucometer an hour after a keto meal, and my sugars were fine. Nor do I regard ketones as especially helpful. The most useful information I’ve had was a glucose tolerance test which showed not just my glucose response to a carb load, but also tracked insulin and showed my fasting insulin levels as borderline high. Hence my desire to bring down my insulin levels generally.

I’ll be retesting fasting insulin and a bunch of other biomarkers in a few weeks to see how the McGuff protocol + Metformin are tracking. If no major difference in biomarkers or weight, I’ll start extended fasting.

G

(VLC.MD) #63

When you have info about what Metformin did or didn’t do for your Keto … please start a thread and share the details

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #64

Will do. Though obviously there will be other variables: I started resistance training only a few weeks after I started Metformin, so it’ll be hard to separate the various causes and effects…

(VLC.MD) #65

Agreed.
Still would be very informative.

(Mel Soule) #66

Gabe I too would be interested in hearing about your metformin+keto+HIIT combination.

I started an isometric/isotonic routine August 1. Been in moderate ketosis via ketostix most of that time. Also done 2 3-4 day Zornfasts during that time. My fasting blood sugars are routinely in the mid 70’s now at the end of my IF 18 hour window.

Isometrics are 10/20 Tabata intervals and isotonics are done to failure (from Dr. McGuff). Weight continues to decline but metrics on arms/thighs and chest are going in the right direction. Isotonic machine weights are now up 40lb on bench press and rowing machine over start. And leg press and abduction/adduction machine (aka Thigh Master) much higher. Leg press started at 160 now 220; thigh master was 70 now 120.

Not taking Metformin but do supplement with L-Carnitine. Trying to convert from old lifestyle as hypochondriac to a mitochondriac…LOL

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #67

It’s too early for solid results, though fat loss plateau may be starting to break. I’ll have a better idea towards spring, but if any major milestones emerge in the next 12 weeks, I’ll post here!

(Tammy Gould) #68

Thank you for this. I have been hitting the gym 4-5 times a week for 3 months then I started keto 8 days ago. I have a six pack stomach now which became more enhanced since keto diet. I maintain about 70% fat 20 % protein and 10% or less carbs. My question is since I am burning more calories say 400 a day, can I cheat a little on the carbs, say 37 net grams instead of 30. Also does anyone know if 70 grams of protein is sufficient to gain some muscle mass? I have heard protein intake should be low to moderate? Thank you

@Porter123
Hi Tammy, Carb tolerance varies from person to person, but if you’re testing your ketones (blood meters are the most accurate) you’ll know how many carbs you can eat and still stay in ketosis. In any case, it’s not a question of how many calories you burn; it’s a question of how much of your glycogen you use and how metabolically healthy you are. Intense workouts generally mean you can tolerate a higher level of carbs (esp. on workout days). Mark Sisson - who advocates sprinting and lifting - recommends a max of 50g/day and I believe that Phinney and Volek put it even higher (100 g, I think?).

(Tammy Gould) #70

Hi Madeleine. Thank you I am keeping net carbs under 40 grams a day. I just tested my urine thinking I would show a good amount of ketones but only a trace showing. Is urine testing accurate? Not losing weight but losing inches and clothes fitting better. I attribute that to the weights and exercise along with it. Thanks for your help

Hey Tammy, sounds like you’re losing fat and doing great!
The strips: from what I know, they measure the extra ketones (the ones you’re excreting), and if your body’s efficient with ketones, it won’t be spilling much extra in the urine. There’s probably a thread on here (or several!) about ways of measuring but it sounds like things are going well for you, so you might not need to invest in a blood meter.

If you have been doing keto for only a couple of weeks or less the urine should be reasonably accurate. After about a month they may not work. Protein is .8 - 1.5g per kilo of lean muscle or ideal weight. Obviously the more active, the higher the amount of protein you may want to consider

@gabe if you did a glucose tolerance test or insulin test where they give you sugar while on keto your results will not be accurate unless you gradually aclimated back to carbs over a period of 3 days or so. A fasting glucose or insulin would be accurate while on keto without doing anything different

Study on insulin sensitivity of those who engage in some kind of sprinting.
Here’s the relevant part:

Fasting glucose, fasting insulin, insulin sensitivity and β-cell function were not associated with age in sprint-trained athletes. These variables remained relatively stable across a wide range of age and comparable to those observed in endurance-trained athletes. In contrast, the untrained group showed considerable age-related increase in fasting insulin and β-cell activity and a strong decrease in insulin sensitivity compared to both athletic groups.

(charlie3) #74

I started exercising before discovering keto. There was no way I’d be stopping exercise for the sake of any diet change. I track my food with Cronometer and measure nuts, meat, avecado and cheese. Crono says my BMI is about 1400 calories a day. Add to that 5 miles of walking 5 days a week at 80 calories a mile, 4 30 minute cardio sessions at 270 calories each and 3 one hour strength training session for 200 calories each. Typical calories from the daily activity represents over 30% of daily calories. That makes everything easier and it’s a lot of fun to eat those extra calories.

To burn some fat I eat maintenance calories in 2 meals (16:8) for 5 days then eat nothing on one day which II figure is worth about half a pound of fat. Sunday’s are a break from 16:8 limits and I eat some extra calories because it’s the morning after the fast day.

Currently I’m focused on growing some muscle but hang on to my new highschool waist line. To do that I eat 250-300 extra calories 6 days a week then no food for 36 hours. I figure my body will burn more fat than muscle on the fast day so may be I’ll get leaner AND stronger. We’ll see if my body is clever enough to notice and has any objection.

In the mean time I’m certain the right kind and volume of activity and exercise leverages keto tremendously.

(Mother of Puppies ) #75

I love Dr. Fung, but I think he’s speaking in broad terms, sometimes.

At three different times in my life I have walked off 50 - 80 pounds. This does not support CICO at all, because as endorphins kick in, my cravings for sugar/carbs recede.

I believe I heard it on a Dudes podcast that “Sugar addiction is an addiction to your endogenous endorphins.” (Is that wording redundant? I think I remember it correctly)

Dr. Fung would say it “doesn’t work” because why did I have to do it THREE TIMES? And that’s a good point.