Excercise Efficiency

(Kameel Awdish) #1

My knowledge is very basic, this video explains that doing HIIT (anerobic excercise i.e no oxygen) helps release fatty acids into the blood stream, and less intsensive excercise (aerobic excercise i.e oxygen) oxidises those fatty acids in the muscles. The idea is doing HIIT for first half of training, and then following it with jogging/resistance training is the best way to go…

Is there any truth to this, or is this guys talking out of his Ass

(Rob) #2

I don’t know the answer to your question (does anyone?) but this is my favorite article on evolving fitness efficiency questions.

The benefits of the 4 minute super-HIIT (Tabata) seem surprising but if true suggest that long moderate cardio is maybe a bit worthless. If 12 minutes a week of brutal Tabata has such positive performance improvements (and I don’t know for sure that it does) then the video above may just be a bit of noise over the real story?

I am not ready for Tabata or even HIIT but am trying the 4 minute nitric oxide workout - a zone 2 MIIT type thing - that is supposed to be done several times a day to deplete nitric oxide and tell the body to build/repair muscle.

I don’t know if it works (yet) and I assume it would be slow and hard to tell, especially while losing fat at the same time… are my guns getting slightly bigger or just less flabby? :thinking:

(Alan Williamson) #3

For weight loss, exercise is very poor. Diet is everything. One year I ran 2 marathons. I was pretty much training all the time. I didn’t lose any weight. I changed my diet to keto, I lost 50 pounds in 3 months and I was just sitting on the sofa watching TV. Go figure.

The math: if a person is fasted say day 3 for a fast. Their insulin is very low. Their liver glycogen is depleted. Their ketones are above 1 mg/dL. Basically they are in fat burning mode. If they go for a run, they will burn about 100 calories a mile. In this condition, it will be mostly body fat. Using the standard 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound of body fat, they will have to run 35 miles to burn a pound of fat. That is a lot of work for little results.

Weight lifting is the biggest bang for the buck. A person can transform their body, and it doesn’t take much time. 30 minutes a day, 3 times a week, a person can get results.

(Trish) #4

I’m totally going to try this 4 exercise 3X a day approach. Sadly I am far too sedentary in the winter and as such have lots of aches and pains. If nothing else, I think this three times daily movement will help loosen me up and get the blood flowing. Interestingly, it was surprisingly hard to get through three sets of this. Really felt it in the upper arms and it made me breathe heavily.

(Rob) #5

That was a major part of my logic too.

I know!! :astonished: It seems so trivial but if you keep form and pace you can feel it.

(Kameel Awdish) #6

Just a random query, i tested my blood ketones before and after the gym in the space of 2 hours, before the gym reading was 1.1 and after it was 0.8. assuming this means that body used up some of the available ketones for energy? will test again today before the gym to see what happens# after 24 hours

(Rob) #7

Another approach from HIIT is the Slow Burn protocol detailed in Body By Science

If you’re looking for efficiency in terms of the time taken working out to the results gained, then this may be something to look at.

I have the book and I’m still reading, but will be putting some of the reading into practice soon.