Erythritol and carbs

(Nick) #21

Thank you. I love answering these sorts of questions, because forcing oneself to explain something clearly, and to construct appropriate analogies, are great ways of ensuring one understands it oneself :slight_smile:

(Patrick B.) #22

Youā€™ve had a lot of great replies. However, let me leave you simply with thisā€¦ Erythritol is as much carbs as fiber is. The body doesnā€™t use it, so I donā€™t count it.

(Norma Laming) #23

Maltitol goes through my body like a dose of salts: if ever I needed a laxative that would be what are use! I simply do not know how diabetics manage with this substance

Oh my, this is not what we were discussing, sorry! I worked on a cane sugar plantation in Hawaii for 14 years, in a previous life. I knew the crystal process well at our mills: we produced 100,000 tons per year, shipped to C&H. At the local grocery store there was also another ā€œsugarā€ on sale, from the mainland sugar beet: Domino pure crystal sugar. Anyone could blind-taste the diff! (The sugar beet crystal was like sucking on a copper penny, imho, compared to Hawn cane sugar crystal, same chemical yo.) So there is that.
What I was addressing was not the crystal purity, butt adulterants. Have you heard of this concept? Trusted verified monitored enforceable and enforced standards, not simply ā€œorigin.ā€ Honestly tested purity ā€¦ in theory what you said is not even OK, esp not the "organic Jesus"part, which offends, gratuitously (to have that, in that sentence, with those tears you so love)?
I do happen to prefer my erythritol from a USA verified source. Since we have one such. Not to be overly nationalistic about the deal, butt what you said about this is the fallacy, and it is even a non-genetic fallacy, present company not excepted. Care to try again?

(Nick) #25

Poha, thatā€™s a mighty screed full of emotional, sometimes xenophobic, adulterants. There seems very little evidence left in the precipitate, so to speak.

Itā€™s also illogical, even under its own terms. I get erythritol from Germany. You say you prefer to get it from USA. And yet you also fear GMO ā€œadulterantsā€. Remind me in which country GMO is ubiquitous, and in which country itā€™s basically banned?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #26

Going to take a moment to ask that we avoid (on all sides) engaging in ad-hominem or other attacks on one anotherā€™s arguments or posts. While Iā€™m not seeing anything egregious, I do see some posts in this thread that are using somewhat incendiary and/or potentially offensive language/statements, and Iā€™d like to ask that we tone it down a bit.

Treat othersā€™ arguments with charity, and consider whether your own words, coming from someone else, are something youā€™d consider sufficiently polite. To put it in programmer terms, be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send. :wink:

This is a great relief, I had just purchased some erythritol sweeteners for keto baking and thought I was shmuck! Well, I may still be a shmuck, because Iā€™m quite certain I had heard the science behind the use of erythritol in the past but,ā€¦I forgot the happy news!
Thanks for explaining this clearly! And of course, for the links to the study you referred to here as well.

(Joel Choo) #28

Thank you for the excellent sharing, technical yet totally ā€œdigestibleā€ for layman like me. It takes time and effort to share your thoughts and a big clap from Singapore!

(Nick) #29

My pleasure! Sweetness is a hot topic in the keto world. If ketofest goes ahead, perhaps I should do a talk about it there :slight_smile:

(Alec) #30

Now that sounds like a plan! :rofl::rofl::see_no_evil::scream::scream_cat::shushing_face:

Thanks @bokkiedog for the explanation.
Iā€™ve been looking for sweets to suck to help with the yucky ketosis mouth taste and found sugar free sweets but with 90 odd % carbs. Those carbs are listed as polyols so guessing (as they donā€™t state exactly what polyols) that as long as I donā€™t scoff a whole packet at once Iā€™ll be pretty safe.

(Nick) #32

It depends on what the polyols are. If theyā€™re maltitol or sorbitol, some of it will be converted to sugars and spike your BG and insulin. Choose ones that only list xylitol or, even better, erythritol (the latter, sadly, is unlikely as itā€™s difficult to work into candies).

(PJ) #33

Once in a while I make something like fat bombs that use powdered Swerve. It is a tiny bit of stevia, with the bulk from erythritol. Itā€™s so much like powdered sugar itā€™s amazing. Iā€™ve measured my blood in response to the stuff and it does not seem to affect my glucose ā€“ nor do diet drinks.

However if I drink diet drinks regularly my insulin is higher which I assume is the ā€œsweet associationā€ (pavlovian response).

Swerve is not too cheap (amazon in bulk itā€™s cheapest) but Iā€™ve yet to find anything that tastes as close to sugar as it does and that dissolves as well into anything at all. I donā€™t use it much so it lasts a long time.

swerve is amazing. i could eat this stuff spoon wise