enough protein for MPS, while losing weight

And this is the problem when you glue a language together from a bunch of others!

(Jim Fife) #22

Well, 30-40 grams of protein is 2 quarter pound burger patties and about 650 calories. You need THAT much to sustain MPS, several times a day?? How could metabolic evolution be so clumsy, that we waste precious protein as mere fuel, or turn it into fat, while the body cries out (post-workout) for MPS? How much of research has been done on (fast acting) whey protein, and how much has looked at what happens when I eat equal parts roast beef and raw broccoli, and it boogies all the way down through my colon? --Anyway, I suspect things are more complicated.
So, my hunch is that half that much burger (1 patti) would supply significant protein for MPS, and if mTOR (for some reason) is insufficiently stimulated, a little taste of leucine might leverage the burger, usefully.

With adequate intake it’s always happening, seems you’re using the context of having an MPS response in general, the discussion is maximizing it. The 30-40g has always been the agreed upon number with all the docs that study it, even the new school people like Gabbie Lyon, Layne Norton, Ted Naiman, old school muscle PhD’s like Jim Stoppani etc. Since most slam a 2 scoop protein shake after a workout, it’s typically always covered, don’t think most are sitting down to burgers afterwards.

The context of simply having normal muscle on you and maximizing MPS for somebody that’s intentionally building it are very different.

Of course it would, again, the context is maximizing it. You can dump all the gas on a fire you want, if there’s not an optimal amount of wood to burn, that fire is only going so far.

I don’t know or care about the main topic here but you can easily get 30g protein in 200 kcal too… Even I can do that and I needed much training to enjoy lean things. Eventually I need more fat but all of us do.

(Edith) #25

Agreed! For example, even eating the slightly fattier chicken thighs (instead of breast) gives 40 grams of protein in a 6 ounce serving for a total of approximately 328 calories.

(KM) #26

I think the OP is trying to maximize muscle building. And exploring the theory that 1. small protein meals or snacks timed carefully are better for this than a large glut of protein at once, but 2. those small protein hits have to have full spectrum protein or they won’t be fully utilized. Hence the idea of adding supplemental leucine.

My very scientific advice would be well, try it and see. I’m pretty sure it won’t hurt you, and if it doesn’t help, you have a little more information under your belt.