Elevated blood sugar...help

(Bob M) #41

Oops, I guess she spells her name with a “C” and not a “K”:

(Jane) #42

Well, that is encouraging. My glucose was 83 and Insulin 4.6 when I had them checked way back when.

My morning insulin hasn’t changed from SAD to keto and I have over 10 years of lab data in a spreadsheet (84 in Jan 2023). Why some have high glucose after long-term keto I have no idea. I don’t do strenuous exercise. I walk up and down my hill to the meadow several times and day and to my basement a couple of times a day, but that is it. My protein intake I woud say is average (never tracked protein).

(Jane) #43

What’s weird is the only year the doc had my a1c checked it was 5.9 and my fasting glucose was 122 (2009)!!! It hadn’t been above 89 since I started tracking in 2008, so I don’t know what was going on but it wasn’t good. And my doc never mentioned it. In 2010 it was back to 88 and stayed in the 80’s from then on.

You would think he would have ordered follow up bloodwork… but nope. I didn’t know anything about diabetes markers then so I didn’t pay attention to it.

OTOH my total cholesterol was 180 in 2009 compared to 283 this year. By my ratios are twice as good - Trig/HDL is 0.46 compared to 1.3 in 2009.

:woman_shrugging:

(Rossi Luo) #44

It’s interesting and it makes sense! I think this can interpret why my morning blood sugar is so high after 7 months keto. I conclude the causes as below:

1. Because I am the one with dawn phenomenon. So whatever diet I follow, my blood sugar will be high in the morning.
  2. Then why my blood sugar in the morning was higher on 27 March 2023 than my blood sugar before keto? It’s because I ate greens (kale, purple cabbage and broccoli) and maybe 1 or 2 candies of my kid (I might forget) previous day, because I am a ketoer, so my body doesn’t store or produce as much insulin as it did before keto, it makes sense.

So you can see my blood sugar on 28 March and 29 March went down to normal after I removed greens out of my dinner.

I plan to do more experiment next week to add greens back to my dinner, and measure my morning blood sugar again to confirm if it’s really related to the greens.

(Rossi Luo) #45

After days of meal without greens, this week I will add greens (kale, broccoli and purple cabbage) back to my dinner, and curious to see what will happen. This morning, I have checked my fasting blood sugar again, and it’s good as below:

Date & Time Blood Sugar#1 Blood Sugar#2 Blood Sugar#3 Blood Sugar#4
2 April 7:00 PM (Dinner with a piece of Pacific Chub Mackerel around 100g, pork and a little bamboo shoot) ----- ----- ----- -----
3 April 8:14 AM (13 hours fasting with water) 5.4 mmol/L 5.3 mmol/L

(Rossi Luo) #46

I think I have found the bad guys soaring my blood sugar! It’s the milk!!! Yesterday I had 2 cups of coffee with milk, 1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon around 5:00 PM, and my dinner was normal like what I ate every day. This morning, after 14 hours fasting with water, my blood sugar soared to 7.4 mmol/L, OMG!!! I do know that milk contains carbs, but I’m still shocked the milk can rise the blood sugar so high!!!

Date & Time Blood Sugar#1 Blood Sugar#2 Blood Sugar#3 Blood Sugar#4
2 April 7:00 PM (Dinner with a piece of Pacific Chub Mackerel around 100g, pork and a little bamboo shoot) ----- ----- ----- -----
3 April 8:14 AM (13 hours fasting with water) 5.4 mmol/L 5.3 mmol/L
3 April 6:50 PM (Dinner with all fat pork, kale, broccoli, purple cabbage topped with sesame seeds) ------ ----- ----- -----
4 April 8:20 AM (13 hours fasting with water) 5.1 mmol/L 4.9 mmol/L
9 April around 5:00 PM (coffee with milk) ------ ----- ------- ------
9 April 6:20 PM (Dinner with very fat pork, kale, broccoli, purple cabbage) ------ ------- ---------- -----------
10 April 8:20 AM (14 hours fasting with water) 7.5 mmol/L 7.4 mmol/L