Electrolytes? Potassium? Which and How Much?

(Amanda) #1

I’m back to running/hiking and while I feel that i’m drinking enough water, I still feel dehydrated. I take electrolyte capsules 1x a day and add more salt to my food, but I think my fatigue/zombie/grogginess is due to an imbalance.

What do people (especially those who run/exercise) take and how much?

Has anyone tried Trace Minerals? How do I know if i’m getting enough or not too many minerals such as potassium, sodium, magnesium? I tried CALM magnesium supplement and I had such a hard time staying awake the next day so…that’s off the list.

(Alec) #2

Amanda
By my reckoning, any runner who is strict keto is taking in a quarter of the salt of the average person, and needs about 4 times the salt of the average person. I reckon it is pretty hard to over-ingest added salts and electrolytes. NB this is for runners only… non-runners close your ears.

I have electrolyte tablets that I dissolve in water and take religiously, about 4-5 tablets a day. This is double the recommended maximum on the tablet blurb. But I know I go better on more rather than less.

I think it is important to listen to your body signals, and thirst is a key one. Whenever you are thirsty you should drink either water, or water with electrolytes. And if your body can handle it (mine can’t), drink some water and electrolytes before your runs. I always take mine after running. I just don’t like running with water in my stomach.

Take care, stay hydrated!

Keto Newby needs shopping list help :)

I make a mix of salt, potassium chloride, and magnesium glycinate. I mix ~1 tsp of this into 1/2 gallon of water along with some True Lemon packets (just the lemon juice, not the lemonaide). I will go through at least one jug a day.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

What’s the name of these tablets? And why have you been keeping this secret from me?

(Alec) #5

Do you get these in the US? Not sure… Google them.

Keto Newby needs shopping list help :)
(Ron) #6

(LeeAnn Brooks) #7

I found the High5 Zero on Amazon. Shipping costs is pretty high though.

The Nuun has 3-4 carbs per serving, depending on flavor.

(Amanda) #8

Thanks!