Eating...causes hunger?

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:
It took some time but I do it every day now :slight_smile: I like to be there, drinking my coffee or something. it’s very safe if I am well-fasted and it’s still early (3pm nowadays).

I think some people simply born needing bigger meals. Even as a baby, I didn’t need to eat every few hours. Even as a kid, I so hated breakfast, I definitely didn’t need it. But when I ate, I meant business and ate a lot if I could (once I cried at school lunch as my food was so very tiny. and I was a tiny girl myself).
Some people can’t get satiated eating small meals. It’s perfectly fine and healthy, we are just different.

Hunger going away always seemed pretty odd to me. Now I have that sometimes but it just got progressively worse before (I think. I practically always ate when I got even slightly hungry or even earlier but well, I had a few extra cases during those decades. my hunger just got worse and worse, I don’t remember it going away ever before I got fat adapted). If my body wants food, it wants food stubbornly.

I tried that once. Never again. It’s not a good idea for everyone for sure, to put it lightly.
I don’t know what to do, of course but I surely wouldn’t sacrifice my sleep and health, surely one can explain this to the kids…? They must see other examples where an adult is seemingly different…

(Vic) #22

The struckture and discipline in my family sets lunch at 12.00 and dinner at 18.00. I eat a lot before I’m hungry. These family times, all sitting at the same table is more important to me than eating at the perfect time (when the body askes for it) there is room for trade-offs in my woe.
When I’m traveling and are on my own, hunger dictates the eating time, defenately better for me.

(Bob M) #23

100% true for me, too. We have great fun as a family at dinner, with a wide range of topics. Last night: it costs how much to go on vacation? (Planning a trip, and having to rent a house for a week, to attempt to avoid covid…is pricey.)

I would LOVE to move back the family’s eating times for dinner to say 6pm or earlier. Can’t do it due to dance and karate. Often, we’re eating at 7pm/1900 or later.

Family time is fine but no one would be happier if I ate when I don’t need it. So I am just there.

Eating together may work if someone doesn’t need special timing. I can stretch things a little but I have my limits (especially if I really don’t want to eat unnecessarily much). And we don’t have even vague mealtimes in the weekends. My SO may have dinner at 2pm (rare but it tends to be earlier in the weekends when there is no 9 hour gap between his breakfast and lunch) or dinner merged with lunch… I like a bit more stable mealtimes but I am flexible too. 4-5pm seems the best now, between his lunch and dinner, typically. But sometimes our dinners (his 3rd and my 2nd, sometimes 1st meal) happen at the same time and it’s nice. We both can delay it for a while if needed.
We both came from a family where no fixed mealtime was enforced or encouraged. Maybe partly because of the small size of the families but the personalities of the family members suited it too. It’s the same at family visits, the food is there and we eat whenever. Except at Christmas but we have plenty of time to get used to the idea as things are getting ready.

I am happy I never had to eat at noon (traditional lunchtime but it suits people waking up early and maybe others as well but not me). I ate around 2-3pm since I was a kid under normal circumstances. My SO has to eat at that time on workdays but noon suits him way better (or 10:30 if he woke up too early).
We just can’t synchronize our mealtimes without ruining something important and there is no need for that. I am happy if I can do it borderline okay all by myself, it’s not simple.

My SO talked about the effect of the smell of horse manure to pandas and their coldness perception. While we were eating pudding (with wildly different carb content). Horse manure is okay but focusing on its smell… :smiley: It was almost too much for me. My pudding with cream was a little less tempting for some seconds.

(Bob M) #25

I listen to a wide variety of podcasts and books (I’m still driving to work daily), so I can also bring up topics of conversation. I’ll often say something no one but me understands, though. Start talking PUFAs, ghrelin, leptin, whether the covid break out in Manaus is real or not…and no one knows what the heck I’m saying.

He talks about viruses and microscopic, usually one cell organism lately. And about ancient personal computer hardware all the time. I am only interested in the tiny orgamism and want a microscope.
I am the one talking about nutrients and how our body works (in general but individual cases interest me too). PUFAs happened but I am more like into other things. We talked about protein and fat in the blood today. He had to stop donating blood plasma but I probably will be able to start doing it… Maybe I will make a thread about it, I have many thoughts.
And the cats are always a nice topic, with their wonderful silly personalities and even more wonderful fluffiness (Cloud, erm Caroline has the most amazing winter coat. She probably has way more hairs she should have…)