Eating carbs one meal a day? Helpful or dangerous?

(Hannah Grace) #1

Hi! I’m wondering if there is anyone here who eats one meal a day (breakfast, for instance) that involves grains or fruits and if so does it help you or harm your progress? I ask this because I usually eat either eggs or oatmeal for a breakfast and now that I’m transitioning to keto I’m wondering if it’s possible to eat a carb meal once a day or completely stupid?
I’m confused because I have heard a lot about carb-cycling if you’ve been doing keto for a while and stalled but do you think it’s a good idea or not?

(Chris) #2

It probably won’t kill you but you’re not required to eat carbs for anything. IMO just add more eggs for breakfast.

(Vladaar Malane) #3

Dangerous, in that it may tend to increase your cravings.

I used to do fat bombs, dark chocolate, peanut butter cookies with stevia, that type of thing.

When I did it, I found myself justifying eating great amounts and more frequent amounts because it was sugar free or not much sugar.

Since I have been staying under 2 teaspoons of sugar a day, it broke me free of my plateau and my strong cravings. It’s up to you, but I think you will find it a gateway to excess.

(bulkbiker) #4

completely stupid!.. well you did ask…

(Matthew) #5

My friend is at high risk of Type 2 diabetes and was prescribed a diet consisting of 1 portion of carbs a day (such as rice, potatoes, cereal). No other sugar of course. And low fat and moderate protein. I think thi sis pretty standard for what the average nutritionist prescribes in Colombia someone with high risk T2. I would highly doubt a portion of refined carbs on a high fat diet was healthy. On the contrary. See below.

If you are going to eat keto, eat keto. I suppose some people can do that (eat carby meal), especially if young and in good metabolic health, but if not, why?

I regularly used to eat oatmeal but gave it up when I first went to a lax version of generic ‘low carb’ years ago when I gave up the hard-core carbs such as grains, bread, rice, pasta… Don’t miss it at all. I miss fruits more than the oatmeal.

I no longer even make fake keto foods such as ‘bread’, tortillas, pizza crust, etc using the extremely low carb substitutes. As many of the gurus say, ‘keep it simple’. Animal proteins, a scant few veggies, healthy fats… Today I am slow-cooking some nice fatty short ribs.

(Dee) #8

I wouldn’t carb cycle…

Maybe add low carbs in the form of veggies. For example add spinach, broccoli, peppers or onions to your eggs.

(Brian) #9

Oatmeal isn’t really all that healthy. Look up Dr. Ken Berry on YouTube. He has a little to say about Oatmeal, none of it good. (His videos are usually quite short but often amusing and very informative. I like him.)

Eating some non-starchy veggies, nuts, and a few berries will give you some carbs. Even full fat dairy will have some carbs. If you want to eat keto, you need to pay attention to the amounts of carbs you’re eating. You may be able to go beyond 20g a day, some can, some cant, but there does come a point at which you will not remain in ketosis. If you do go beyond that threshold, you’re not going to remain in ketosis which is sort of the point of a ketogenic diet.

There is such a thing as “carb loading”. But I’m not aware of anyone doing that every day. (??)

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #10

Then you would just be eating high fat low carb, incorporating grains immediately makes it non-keto.

(Running from stupidity) #11

Ummm, Mr Carnivore, maybe add bacon to the eggs?

:grinning:

Mark dropping da truth bomb!

(Chris) #12

I’m literally eating babies bro idk what more you want from me here! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Running from stupidity) #13

MOAR BABIEZ!

Seems kinda obvious to me.

Small point of order :slightly_smiling_face: Keto is any diet that keeps you in a state of nutritional ketosis - some people can do this while incorporating small amounts of grains but many choose not to because it has to be such a small amount or because they are intolerant to them.

As to the OPs question - a daily ‘carb up’ is not a good idea.

Since you’re just now transitioning to keto, it’s especially important to be strict so you can reach 100% fat adaptation (which takes anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months or more). You should be keeping to 20 grams of net carbs or less right now for the entire day, and that can be nigh impossible to if you’re “loading” in the a.m., as the body likes its old habits, and transitioning to keto is about breaking carb dependency/addiction.

Also, after you reach 100% fat adaptation, the practice of “carb loading” is a whole other subject - def controversial, and def not recommended if you’re IR or have food addiction issues. Different people have different ideas of what “loading” is and is not. Some mean only whole foods carbs like veggies, berries, nuts, half a sweet potato or some sweet potato chips, maybe a little maple syrup… and others mean processed junk food/beer binges. I recommend taking the time to read keto classic books like The Art & Science Of Low Carbohyrdrate Living by Stephen Phinney MD & Jeff Volek PhD, The New Atkins Diet also by Phinney & Volek, and Protein Power by the Drs. Eades in order to navigate your keto transformation journey well.

There’s also a difference between one meal a day (OMAD, which can be part of natural satiety intermittment fasting) and one carb meal in a three meal day.

You seem to be wanting to maintain a carby meal as part of your three meals + a day, and that is likely to derail you from your keto goals. Changing our relationship to carbs, and learning new ways to make emotional comfort foods, has to happen at a deep level of biochemistry and brain change.

You can switch to a lovely buttery keto gruel/porridge (coconut flour/almond flour based - you can buy it online or make your own) if you need a hot “cereal” and you’ll find it VERY tasty with butter and erythritol or lakanto syrup! You can even have blueberries with it!

NOATMEAL recipe

Ingredients

1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy cream
2 tablespoons hemp hearts
2 tablespoons almond flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
1 tablespoon chia seeds
5 drops stevia + erythritol to taste
1 pinch sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Instructions

Add all ingredients except the vanilla to a small saucepan over low heat. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly, about 3 to 5 minutes; stir in the vanilla. Serve warm.

Here’s another good one, much easier to make:

I also really love Asian black sesame (nigella, kalonji, black seed) porridge with butter and erythritol syrup. It also works with regular sesame seeds. I make it without the traditional rice flour - thickening it with an egg yolk or two or maybe coconut flour depending on my mood :wink:

(Ken) #16

If you’re just transitioning, it’s not a good idea. Fat based nutrition is just that, you eat fat instead of carbs. Much later on down the line, and if you’re experiencing metabolic effects, you can add back in some carbs. Even then, daily consumption is not a good idea. Carb consumption is not for energy, only for metabolic purposes.

(Hannah Grace) #17

I did :wink: But as long as it’s well-meaning I’ll take it lol

(Hannah Grace) #18

Thank you so much! That sounds amazing

(bulkbiker) #19

Very well meaning…you want to get the benefits of keto right?
So eating carbs for a meal day would inhibit that greatly so probably no worth it…?

(Hannah Grace) #20

Oh heck yes!!! :smiley: Yum