Dumb Question

(Dawn) #21

Dukes is really the best tAsting mayo out there. I found a organic coconut based mayo at Costco. It has no soy oil or sugar. It’s very healthy and very nasty to go along with it.

(Dawn) #22

I’m sorry I don’t remember. I’ll check next time I’m there

(CharleyD) #23

Duke’s is popular down here in Alabama but I’ve made a connection to my joint pain and foods that start off with Omega 6s like soybean oil. So I abstain. Funny how I never noticed the pain before but @carl made me laugh when he made the comment that we don’t have a need to bring in so much anti-oxidants in a keto diet because we’re not so dang inflamed all the time.

Now check out some of the ‘yogurt’ or buttermilk based dressings that may be popping up in the cooler of the produce section which start off with cream or cultured milk. Much more pleasant if you are afraid to make your own mayo! Walmart has this cilantro avocado one, and Publix has their own line, all of which have been great for me.

Oh and a weird thing. Whenever I eat a dressing that has soy oil in it, my mouth itches now. Like gum inflammation. Guess my new mutant ability is to be a Omega 6 indicator hah.

(Vicki Stroud) #24

Marie’s Asiago Peppercorn in the refrigerator section, we don’t have publix up here. Cilantro Avocado sounds good, I will see if our Walmart has it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

Technically, if the total carbs are low enough, it doesn’t really matter. Starches are just chains of glucose molecules bound together, so once the bonds are cleaved it’s as though you ate the equivalent amount of glucose. You want to keep your blood glucose level as low as possible, so as to minimize the production of insulin. Table sugar, also known as sucrose, contains glucose. It also contains fructose, however, and the fructose has to be metabolized in the liver, which is one of the reasons that sucrose in quantity poses a problem for the body that starches and complex carbohydrates do not.

There is an additional issue, as well. For those of us for whom sucrose acts as an addictive substance, it is well to avoid all forms of sugar as much as possible, in order to avoid triggering addictive behavior. Just as with alcohol, this is an individual matter, and some people will find that they can tolerate a dose of sucrose or fructose without being triggered, that will send someone else on a sugar binge. Personally, I try to avoid sugar as much as possible, and I find that I need to stay away from artificial sweeteners as well, since they too can give me sugar cravings.

(jilliangordona) #26

Dogs and humans have very different digestive systems.

(Marie Dantoni) #27

Just think that it could be 2 or 3 carbs for the whole bird. That would make the carbs or sugar negligible in an average serving.

(CharleyD) #28

Yep, the lemon pepper rotisserie is rubbed with sugar

(VLC.MD) #29

This rotisserie chicken was low on carbs

(CharleyD) #30

The traditional one looks marginally better but sugar is still present

(Donna ) #31

This makes me so angry :angry:

Sigh :pensive:

(Thanks for looking!)

(Dawn) #32

You are awesome. thank you so much for confirming for me. i guess I am back to the suggestion that you all gave which is to see how it fits my macros and what it does to my weight loss. This may be one that has to wait until maintenance.

(Vicki Stroud) #33

I have a set it and forget it, it makes the best rotisserie chicken ever.

(CharleyD) #34

It is likely nothing to worry about. It’s a trace amount of sugar, and you will likely not be able to eat so much chicken that you’ll knock yourself out of ketosis.

This is where we can go down a nit-picky, purist, keto rabbit hole.

You’re going to have an insulin response anyway when you eat it (I made sure not to photograph the bird itself in order to protect the whole community from the Cephalic Phase Response after all! :face_with_monocle:) that area under the curve isn’t going to be THAT much bigger due to the sugar in the rub.

My thing is the ratio of Omega 6 fats in it. It’s likely not a cage free bird, and probably fed grains. So I’d probably either be inclined to add Omega 3 fats or something else to bring the ratio closer to 1:1 just for inflammations sake.

KCKO!

(Dawn) #35

What can I do to add omega 3 fats to omega 6 high foods? I’m intrigued by this idea🤔

(CharleyD) #36

From Metabolic Approach to Cancer: Omega 3: Fatty fish, walnuts, only grass fed beef (grain finished even drives Omega 6 up) kale, spinach, other dark leafy greens, flaxseed, hemp seed, black currant seed, basil, pumpkin seed oil, capers, onion, fennel.

That should give you some ideas, aside from the grass-fed butter stand by.

The added sugar thing drives me nuts, too. I was snacking on macadamia nuts recently and happened to look at the ingredients. There should have been 1 or 2 (nuts and salt) but no: the jerks had added maltodextrin! Why?
Also, pickles and sauerkraut have added sugar as does my beloved bacon.
It’s usually minimal and the uncured bacon without it is rather expensive and there are 4 bacon lovers in this house so I have to go with the more affordable option.

(jay) #38

Man I feel your frustration with the bacon, it is my understanding that they add the sugar to bacon to extend self life. They add sugars to salt to prevent caking…i mean what could be a safer food additive than s u g a r…arrrgh

(Darlene Horsley) #40

I have a mild allergy to Swiss cheese which I love but my allergenic response is itching gums unless it’s cooked or baked in something.

(Brian) #41

Hmmm. Maybe not as weird as you may think.

My wife has developed something that we think is an allergy to soy. One of her lips will usually swell up to 2 or 3 times it’s normal size (why both don’t, I have no idea, but it’s usually just one or the other), and she’ll get itchy all over. So far, there has been no swelling that restricted her airway with any of the reactions so far but it’s still not a fun thing for her.

As close as I’ve had to anything even similar was a reaction to fire ant bites. It is not fun.

It does make me wonder if there is another mutation of soy that is coming into common usage, some part of the GMO process that takes the RoundUp ready resistance to a new level? Could that be what we’re experiencing, reactions to that? I have no proof of anything, but we’re pretty careful about soy these days.