Dr. Andrew Weil Says Keto Is 'A Starvation Diet'

food

(Carolus Holman) #1

Well Being

Charlatan

Part owner of “True Food” Claims HE HAS THE ANSWERS
Buy my products, by my stuff.

[https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dr-andrew-weil-says-keto-122521613.html](http://Andrew Weill Says Keto is a Starvation Diet.)

(Brian) #2

Dr. Weil says … “People on these rigid diets don’t look like they’re enjoying food.”

Wow, he hasn’t been to our house. We enjoy our food immensely!! I mean, we REALLY enjoy our food. We eat well!! And we’re definitely not starving. Granted, we don’t eat as much food as we used to but we don’t go hungry either.

And to be honest, we do eat a little of things generally thought of as “non-keto”. We occasionally have a few carrots or peas or beans. They’re in small amounts and not every day, and usually stuff we’ve grown in our own garden. We have a lot of variety in the meats and veggies that we do eat, the majority of them 100% keto. Like I said, we eat really well. Makes me wonder what this guy has seen that he thinks is so unhealthy. ??

(Karen) #3

It can be fasting mimicking. Not starving.

(less is more, more or less) #4

I love the category for this content; “entertainment.” Funny how pundits now claim their agitation is a form of entertainment, but whatever.

Dr. Weil has done some good things and he’s willing to take the slings and arrows of not following convention. I’m a fan of his acknowledgment on the value of the placebo effect and health. I’ve also heard some low-carb friendly doctors argue that low-carb is like starvation, since this way of eating essentially reworks our metabolism into a state that, on a standard American diet, is only possibly by sharp calorie reduction.

Despite all my rhetorical convulsions in the previous paragraph, I don’t plan on reading Yahoo’s entertainment section. :wink:

(Carolus Holman) #5

I updated my comment thanks.

(Susan) #6

I had anorexia from 12-20 and it was a starvation diet… and I have been doing a lot of IF/EF on Keto, but it is totally different. I am eating a lot when I do eat, and it is just a self-controlled eating process done for health and well being now =). (My kids would agree with him though…).

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #7

What a dumb article! He seems to not understand keto when he says this:

“There are good and bad carbs. There are a lot of carbs that people eat that are going to promote weight gain and reduce insulin sensitivity and you want to learn the differences in kinds of carbohydrates so you limit the [bad carbs] that you eat but you don’t eliminate them totally.”

Dr Weil, do your homework before you pass judgement on the keto WOE!

Starvation? If I let myself, I could eat THOUSANDS of calories per day and stay in ketosis. I have to restrain myself from using too much of my favorite [high fat] foods – bacon, sausage, cheese, butter.

(Edith) #9

I don’t think that quote is so bad. I bet for a large proportion of the population, if they just cut out the bad carbs: sugar and grains, they would be much healthier. Whole foods instead of processed foods may be the only solution some people need.

(Carl Keller) #10

I also like some of the things Weil believes in. He’s anti-sugar and anti-processed food and he believes in real food. I’m just not so fond of his preference for lean meats and his belief that carbohydrates are essential for good health. It’s also worth considering that he was once a vegan for many years so how he has viewed health and nutrition might change once again.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #11

That’s what i meant, he seems to understand the benefits of reducing carbs, but he still feels he has a platform to pass negative judgement on keto - he doesn’t seem to understand what keto is.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

I used to like Andrew Weil years ago, I haven’t thought about him in some time. The first link about keto being dangerous leads to People Magazine article by Gillian Michaels. “Well okay then…No longer have much respect for Andrew!” :confused:

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Bunny) #13

Dr. Weil’s is a very very wise man, I have been observing his lectures for years and it would be hard to debunk that old hand.

Wheat can be healthy but it has to be eaten within 48 hours of being milled and baked to get the fat in the germ oils which is still alive after being baked that he is talking about!

But who is going to find a baker/bakery that does that?

I have one here (mom & pop bakery) where I live that is very aware of that and do exactly as I outlined above.

Yes you can actually eat bread on keto (I have done it) and lose weight or burn body fat without it tearing up your intestinal track or raising blood sugars but I still do not like the idea that I might be eating saw dust (dead bread) leading to a leaky gut (endosperm of wheat aka: gluten). Saw dust is even allowed (aka: wood pulp) in some types of food!

“…He recommends quinoa, rice, buckwheat oats and cracked wheat to get in whole grains. “The starch in grains is tightly compacted and it’s enclosed more or less by a fibrous hull and it has some fat in the germ. The fat slows emptying from the stomach and the bran, the coating, and it makes it hard for the digestive enzymes to get in and convert it from starch to sugar.” This is better for blood sugar and less likely to result in weight gain.

But with milled grain, like flour and sugar, “the starch is turned into a material with an infinite surface area and it’s a snap for enzymes to turn that from starch into sugar.” These are the kinds of carbs that raise blood sugar and make people gain weight, he says. …”

“… “It represents a misunderstanding,” he adds. “There are good and bad carbs. There are a lot of carbs that people eat that are going to promote weight gain and reduce insulin sensitivity and you want to learn the differences in kinds of carbohydrates so you limit the [bad carbs] that you eat but you don’t eliminate them totally.” …” …More

(Marianne) #14

Wow; back in the day (70s), when he was a heavy hitter on PBS, I used to think he was a prophet. I am really disappointed. I don’t know what he looks like now, but back then he could have stood to lose a few pounds.