Doctor question

(FRANK) #1

So, I have lab work coming up soon and I asked my doctor if I can have my fasting insulin tested in addition to the routine cholesterol and glucose the doc orders. The clinic said he will only schedule the cholesterol and glucose, and not the insulin. It pissed me off.

Has anyone had this experience with their doc and how did you respond? I makes me mad, they’re drawing the blood anyway. I told them if my insurance doesn’t cover the test I would pay cash up front.

Should I start shopping for a new doc?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

You should have the option to pay for additional tests but a lot of doctors probably are not normalling doing that. I bought fast insulin myself out of band (not when my PCP did blood work) but my PCP knew I was doing it.

Before you dump your doctor make sure you can line up a more lifestyle friendly doctor. Some communities are thin on modern doctors.

(Carl Keller) #3

Your doctor works for you. If he or she doesn’t want to comply with a very easy request. I would tell them that it’s their right to not give me the insulin test I’m requesting, but it’s my right to seek treatment elsewhere.

This is good advice.

(Bob M) #4

You want HbA1c and insulin if possible. Look into ferritin and GGT also. See this:

I have never had the latter two tested by any doctor. I ditched my first doctor, who refused to get an HbA1c test done (“We test too much”), but wanted to give me statins. Idiot. It is very difficult to find a good doctor, though.

You also want a coronary artery calcification (CAC) scan, as cholesterol values are useless. I have a lot of “high” values, including Lp(a), but zero CAC score. Low carb/keto since 1/1/14.

(Jane) #5

I had my A1c and fasting insulin tested on my own w/o going through my doctor. Life Extension was who I used and they keep a doctor on the staff to order the tests for you to keep it legal. Blood draw was at LabCorp.

I got both tests run for $48.

I would ask them if there’s a reason the doctor is “unwilling” to request that lab on your behalf? I had an old school doctor before that I loved, if I asked, he ran it, no questions asked (within reason). The biggest excuse they could possibly have is that insurance won’t cover it without pre-existing symptoms (but you said you would pay)…also most annual physicals should include fasting glucose at least and many include more now.

(Murphy Kismet) #7

Also, ask them to write in your chart that the DOCTOR refused those tests. Some doctors will backpedal after that. :wink:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #8

https://www.directlabs.com
Has a fasting insulin test for $34. They also have a whole bunch of other tests, if you are interested.

Also, talk to your doc directly and tell him why you want the test and ask about what his objections are, and not the staff at the clinic. If insurance covers lab work then it shouldn’t be an issue. But yeah, don’t dump your doc until you have someone else lined up (if you are going that way).

I am looking for a new doctor and tried one out earlier this spring. I had to argue her into an HBA1C test. She only wanted to do fasting glucose, even though I have a significant family history of T2.

If she had just added it after I asked, I might have considered keeping her and trying to educate her. But arguing with me about it, just told me I should look elsewhere for a good doctor.

(Bob M) #10

For insulin, I have paid for all of my tests. This test is not great, though. My values have ranged from “<3” to over 30, while I’ve been losing weight and my Hba1c has come down or been relatively stable. It’s not a great measurement, though if it is always high(er), that would be good to know.

(Boston_guy) #11

You should be able to get it done from DirectLabs.com. I’m in MA where these companies can’t usually operate. It’s $30 - price known up front. No nasty billing surprises a month later.

But yeah – this study shows fasting insulin is a leading indicator. Japanese longitudinal study on A1C, Insulin, Glucose, Body Fat --> T2 Diabetes

(traci simpson) #12

I specifically asked for TSH, T3, T4 and A1C. They tested for those. If he says no, get another doctor. they work for YOU.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

From my understanding many PCP’s are reluctant to order a fasting insulin test because they aren’t easy to interpret in a meaningful way unless you’re an Endocrinologist. PCP’s are trained in general medicine. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bunny) #14

Who needs a doctor when you have Max?