Do you take Vitamins

(Karen ) #1

Hi, I am on week one of Keto and am so far loving it (after the two day headache).

Should I be taking any additional vitamins or supplements? I’m a little worried that I may be missing some nutrients with not eating fruit or cereals?

(Christiana) #2

I choose to take a prenatal vitamin (I’m breast feeding), vitamin D, and epsom salt baths for the magnesium. I also liberally salt my food with a good salt (Redmond Real Salt). I feel great with this protocol. I also went years eating nothing but meat and not supplementing at all, so I don’t know how important it is. Lots of people swear by supplemented electrolytes, so you can play around with it.

(Karen ) #3

Thanks,I like the sound of an Epsom salt bath! I will see how I get on with none. X

(John) #4

I take Vitamin C, D, a B-complex, Omega-3, and magnesium glycinate.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #5

B, D, and fish oil when I think of it.

(Karen) #6

Zinc, iron, magnesium, vitamin E, vitamin D, vitamin K2. I’ve been meaning to add back in some B vitamins.

I take a multi vitamin once or twice a week just for the heck of it. But I take BP meds that mess with my mineral nutrition and I really don’t like taking any more pills than I have to. I would rather eat foods that give me what I need. Eating 5 Brazil nuts gives fiber, magnesium, selenium etc. and is about 3 carbs. They really are a super food. I prefer them raw and buy on Amazon already shelled. But you can roast them, salt them etc. Here is a link everyone should read about this super food.

I take a multivitamin and mineral supplement. Its supposed to be daily but in reality it’s when I remember. I also take a low level vit d supplement daily, which is dr prescribed and in with my daily meds.
The vit d is because I was low and it was affecting me so I’m going to keep taking it, just to be sure.
Tbh the multivitamins are a hang over from my SWD days as I really wasn’t eating a balanced diet but I keep taking them, more from a might as well pov than a I really need them one.

(Omar) #9

vitamin D

only because I found that I am deficient in vitamin D few days back.

Nothing

(Bunny) #11

I try to stay away from man-made vitamin supplements so here is what I do instead;

This is my basic list:

Brewers yeast (non-fortified)

Nutritional yeast (non-fortified)

Wheatgrass Powder (baby wheat grown in Utah)

Chia seeds (freshly ground organic)

Flax seeds (freshly ground organic)

Dandelions, Ginger, Parsley (or make my own digestive bitter)

Raw Garlic Cloves or Aged Garlic

Grape Seed Extract or Pine Bark Extract

Matcha Green Tea (baby leaves)

Ginkgo Biloba

Peppers for Vitamin C

(Alec) #12

Source of highest vitamins and minerals in food? Liver, meat, animal fat. Not fruits and vegetables. Therefore, additional tablets from the pharma industry just not needed.

(Carl Keller) #13

I agree with this approach. It’s worked for humans for a million years… however, I was slacking on leafy greens of late and I found that magnesium help slow a slightly faster heart rate.

I’m a firm believer in sodium helping us regulate our electrolytes and that if you get that one right, it’s much easier to get the others right. I’m guessing your headaches are probably from not getting enough sodium. Two+ teaspoons over the course of your day is a good starting point. You have to remember that we excrete sodium at a much greater rate when we restrict carbs and not compensating can lead to “flu”-like symptoms.

(Karen) #14

I wonder why your Brewers yeast link lists wheat in the ingredients. Fantastic for B 12

(Scott) #15

Mom always said if you eat the right foods you don’t need them. I was asking because all of my friends were getting Fred Flintstone vitamins.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #16

Magnesium, Zinc, B complex, D, probiotic and occasionally calcium. Also add ground ginger and cinnamon to something I eat daily.

(Allan Misner) #17

I typically only take a supplement when a blood test or my body tells me I’m low. I get a comprehensive blood lab done about 3 times per year. If I feel like I’m not sleeping well, I’ll take a magnesium supplement.

(mole person) #18

Two years on keto with no supplementing at all and I feel the best I have in decades. Also, I just don’t have any faith that they aren’t actually unhealthy. We have so little evidence.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #19

Mag citrate, cod liver oil, D-3, and occasionally C.

And coffee. Daily doses of coffee protect the lives around me.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

The only vitamin I take is Vitamin D. I got started while in the hospital a few years ago with two badly broken arms, and they prescribed it to help with my calcium. I stopped the weekly megadose after getting out of the rehab, but I have kept on with the daily dose, just in case. I’m not sure I need it any more, because the bones have all healed now.

In general, however, I believe that our diet should give us everything we need, without supplements. Our ancestors managed to survived without a GNC nearby for two million years, after all. :grin: