Do prisoners have an increase in body weight in jail?

(Meeping up the Science!) #21

Actually prisoners are studied quite a bit. It’s an interesting question!

I emailed some professors out of curiosity. Here’s one study that’s interesting. They also apparently use unappealing food (all high carb of course) that is nutrient dense but tastes unappealing as punishment. At any rate, according to this one, it states that women typically gain more weight than men.

I do know it’s an issue (at least in Statesville here) that food costs are cut and cheaper things are utilized more frequently at the expense of prisoner health.

Seems like a repeated pattern even with prisoners…as in save money with cheap food and then pay for it later with more expensive medical care.

Hopefully your university contacts can provide more info…I think there is a huge opportunity here to look at data and uncover more info into metabolic derangement.

(Sarah Barnbrook) #23

I used to do a lot of work in prisons. They definitely have a standard meal provided, that frankly isn’t ideal, but “nutritionally balanced”. Imagine the same way that schools think that chicken nuggets and chips is a sound meal for kids.

They comments about the store they have access to is spot on. Some of the inmates would avoid it, as they don’t have money on their books; however, some would buy stuff to swap for other items. The access to rubbish food is definitely there, especially if they have some trade arrangements in place.

Depending on what affiliation an inmate chooses, can decide on how much gym time, yard time,and fitness regimes they pursue.

(Christine J) #24

My husband has a cousin that has sadly spent most of his life in prison. He’s morbidly obese and has plenty of access to junk food through prison commissary and they frequently run food based fund raisers from places like Pizza Hut and Krispy Kream. I have a brother that goes to prison today for 8 years. Will be interesting to see what happens to him.

(paddy0761) #25

Pretty much like hospital food I imagine - bloody terrible.

(Jay Morris) #26

I am not sure about all of you, but I certainly would be upset to find out that they were receiving grass-fed beef and Kerry Gold butter.

I assume the prison health levels, incidents of obesity and T2D would correlate to the public that eats SAD.

However, @Pilotbob, that’s my point. You write “I assume”…well, let’s get the data and conduct analysis. Prisoners who are in jail for many years or decades have routine medical checks. Many people do not have the money or means for medical check ups…there are a lot of people walking around with pre diabetes or other problems they don’t know about. I think we have a missed opportunity not looking at prisoner data.