Dizziness when Standing

I’ve been doing ketosis for 3 months and this has only started about a month ago. I feel great in other ways, sleeping well and energized etc. For some reason when I stand up, I instantly get dizzy and it lasts about 3 seconds. I’m only 17 and it happens more often after exercise, but also happens other times. Just wondering what could be causing this and if its worth worrying about?

Hi Jayden,
Just a suggestion: my 19 yo, otherwise very healthy, son had a similar issue. For him it turned out to be insufficient hydration (ie. not drinking enough water) and low blood pressure. It might be worth a doctor’s visit just to check it out
All the best.

(Rein) #3

Yes, always visit a doctor in such conditions. Keep in mind though that not all doctors understand ketosis, but he could at least check some things to make sure you’re all right.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #4

Please keep in mind that folks here aren’t, as a rule, doctors, and even if they were they’re not your doctor. As others have said, you probably want to talk to your doc about the issue (and if you haven’t already, you should discuss with your parents first of all).

Salt (or lack of it) may be one possible factor, as we tend to need more of it when doing keto, and without it, blood pressure can drop, and can lead to orthostatic hypotension, which is low blood pressure that occurs when you change position, such as standing up.

See a doctor, and have your BP checked, and ask them about the situation.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #5

Dude. Eat more salt to get your sodium . Ketopians need 3 to 5 grams A DAY.

When our sodium level is too low, our blood pressure drops, and so we feel dizzy when we stand up, as our blood cannot get to our brain fast enough with the low pressure. Dehydration also causes low blood pressure. Keep water with you at all times. Make it a habit. I do.

I’m willing to bet money you aren’t getting the proper amount of sodium . Figure out what 5 grams is (look on your salt container), measure it out, and most importantly, dole it out slowly during your day. The ketogenic diet is very diuretic, meaning fluids are flushed through us at a high rate, along with minerals.

You will get some sodium in food, so adjust your supplementation (adding this measured salt) accordingly.

Have you listened to the podcasts? Start with the first one. The dudes explain electrolytes.
(I’m interviewed on number 21 FYI)

(Final thoughts/recap as I reach the end) Time To Try An Extended Fast! 21 Days or Bust

It is something that I get from time to time and I have never managed to work out the exact cause. It is usually indicative of a change in blood pressure when you stand up - you can test that easily enough. But why? IDK. All you can do is keep doing what you are doing re food and sleep and then make sure you are getting enough water and electrolytes as already mentioned above. If this has been happening for a while and continues, I would mention it to your doctor. It never hurts to at least keep them in the loop even if it is simply a phase that will run its course. If it gets to a point of being anything more than a little headspin, you really must see a doctor. When it happens to me, I become aware of it, it continues for maybe a few days to a week or so and then I suddenly realise it is not happening anymore. I hate to say growing pains as it makes me sound like a patronising arse but it could simply be along those lines. Discuss with your GP at your next visit even if it has gone away, just to be on the safe side.

Great to have a teen keto member. Getting started early. Awesome.

It’s common and usually electrolytes as it’s been said. Fix that and after a day or two it should fix. Only you know if it’s to the point where you need a doc or not but if you do, go. Then expect the propganda to start if you tell them what your doing.

(Chan Cleland) #8

This happens every week or two to me. I walk in the kitchen and pour a half a teaspoon of Morton’s lite salt (half potassium/half sodium) in my palm, toss it on my tongue and drink it down with a big glass of water.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #9

I’m wondering why specifically you are doing keto.

With many, or perhaps most of us, who are several (or in my case, many) decades older, we’ve had more than time enough to damage our metabolisms quite badly, and we are doing keto to try to repair some of that damage.

At age 17 however, your metabolism should be relatively healthy, so keto is more of a lifestyle choice.

I’m just wondering: are you actually getting enough to eat? (In addition to getting enough good quality salt, e.g. sea salt).

(Richard Morris) #10

Dizziness is an important symptom, especially after exertion.

I would definitely talk to my doctor about it. Hopefully it’s just hydration and/or electrolytes which should be an easy problem to fix.

(Stephanie Hanson) #11

If you up your sodium and general hydration, and it continues to happen, see your doc pronto. Dizziness is usually dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. However, I can be a symptom of something else. I’m glad you’re here and advocating for yourself. But be smart about how you proceed.

(Jessica) #12

Sometimes have the same problem, I feel dizzy a few times a day when I stand up. Not all the time. But If it occurs it will repeat throughout the day.

People on here advised me to see a doctor and that’s what I did.

Result: She said that’s normal for young women, I don’t have to worry about it. She didn’t even bother asking me any questions, that was already her analysis.
I insisted on a blood test, had to pay for it myself,
and when I asked for the result she just said “Everythings ok, nothing to worry about”. What the af?!
So I insisted, that they hand me out the result (so I can google my way through it and at least figure it out myself).

I’m just dissapointed with this health care System (Germany), which only treats you the way it’s best for the insurance company. Dizzyness obviously doesn’t fall under that category.

Thanks all for your answers, sorry about being so late to reply. I discovered it was from lack of potassium.
Also I’m doing ketosis, because I started getting fatigue throughout the day, when I was on a carbohydrate diet. I also noticed, weight gain around the hips and on the belly. After research, i discovered ketosis and figured it was the right thing to do. Also when I first started ketosis, I was eating spinach and kale for about 2 months, but now its been about 5 months and I don’t eat those vegetables at all anymore. I only need to eat twice a day (breakfast and dinner), so often times I don’t get enough vegetables. Although I do often have a jar of coconut yoghurt after dinner, so that should provide minerals and the vegetables that I do consume, mostly during dinner is cauliflower, tomatoes and peppers and thats mostly it. Plus my herbs and spices ofc. I have heard though, that its possible to get all your nutrients from Meat? Cause ain’t there people that do a 0 carb diet?

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #14

I very often go without vegetables for days at a stretch. I’m not sure if the days when I have them would be enough to make up for a lack of minerals, supposing there was any lack.

I do eat offal though (mostly lamb’s liver) which may add some nutrients that muscle meat may lack somewhat.

However, as well as meat, I get plenty of eggs, butter, and quite often cheese of various sorts, which should provide some additional nutrients (not sure about potassium though).

On the subject of potassium, I was recently trying to check the levels in liver versus other food sources. I had thought that liver was a better source than muscle meat, for example, but one place looked suggested that e.g. lamb muscle meat had more than lamb’s liver (but I need to do a bit more research on this).

As a matter of interest, how was it determined that it was from lack of potassium?

Just sort of figured out my self. I had other minor symptoms such as muscle cramps, irregular heart beat and excess thirst and I noticed those were common from potassium deficienty and the days after I had had a massive avocado, that I didn’t have these symptoms as much

Been getting dizzy myself lately. Hmm

(Jacqui ) #17

I also got that when I was still getting adapted. It went away. I hope your does too.

(Kevin Lavoie) #18

I have the same symptoms. Been on keto to some degree for 4 months. I do supplement electrolytes and drink a good amount of water but I know I need to start keeping track of them both on a regular bases. Once I start keeping track I will be able to determine my exact requirements. Don’t feel bad if you don’t want to go see your doctor, Canada’s health care is just as archaic…

(Steve) #19

Before I learned about electrolytes (mainly) and hydration (honestly less important in my experience) I had really bad problems with this. I know all the cool kids are doing HIIT these days, but I just can’t get over the high that comes from completing a century on a bike. After months of doing them with three liters of water on my back, 2 more on my bike, and refilling all that at the halfway point, later in the day I’d get up from the car seat and have to hold the door for a bit to see if I was going to get dizzy. Often I did. After nearly 10 liters of water. Granted, I’m talking central Florida in the summer…

Once I completely divorced my mainstream-media-induced fear of salt and found a sweetener-free electrolyte supplement, I no longer have dizzy spells after a long ride or at around day 5 or 6 in an EF.

(Elizabeth) #20

I also love the high that comes after a long bike ride or run :slight_smile: unfortunately I am having the same symptoms as you and the original poster had. I get dizzy when standing up after a long workout. Do you mind sharing with me the sweetener-free electrolyte supplement that helped your dizzy spells?

Thank you!