Dietary Hacking

(Barbara Greenwood) #21

Still improving after 3 years? Sign of hope :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #22

Yes! I had neuropathy in my right foot, along one side, a patch about 3 inches long. It was numb. Lost feeling there. I thought it was permanent damage. Then it started going away last year. Now itā€™s nonexistent. I believe it was Dr. Kraft that talked about the nerves regrowing, and guess how long it takes? About three years! When I was having dinner with Gary Fettke last month I brought my situation up to him. He said the nerves literally have to grow a new branch from the spine all the way to my foot. He said, ā€œguess how long it takes to grow that far? Three years!ā€ He was genuinely excited for me. No wonder, if you know who he isā€¦
:heart:

(Barbara Greenwood) #23

I do know who Gary Fettke is - amazing.

I consider myself very fortunate that after 19 years of up and down control I had not yet developed any complications. I clearly still have some insulin resistance type stuff still going on, but hopefully that will continue to improve the longer my BG stays close to normal.

You get ā€˜hacklesā€™!?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #26

Ha!
:floyd:

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #27

This was not actually the original meaning of ā€œhackingā€ in the IT world.

It originally meant taking a computer program that did one thing, and then modifying it to do more things, i.e. add features (I donā€™t mean do ā€œbad thingsā€).i.e. exactly the kind of thing that the open-source world did, and continues to do. And Open Source folk are generally regarded as good guys in the IT world (e.g. Linus Torwalds, the originator of Linux).

see: http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/hacker

Your description of ā€œhackingā€ is what people who use ā€œhackingā€ in a positive sense would call ā€œcrackingā€.

Outside of IT, I tend to associate ā€œhackerā€ with that ā€œLifehackerā€ guy. Without getting too much into it, I had some issues with all that stuff.

ā€œhackingā€ and ā€œhackerā€ nowadays is just too ambigious, and itā€™s certainly not a word I choose to use about the way I eat.

(Megan) #28

Good info, Mike! I guess it all depends on how you think about the word and what you associate it with which could be different for everyone.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #29

I LUUUUUUUURVE the term ā€œdietary hackingā€

Itā€™s like weā€™re nutrition scientists

(eat more) #30

or like we have roller blades and cool hair before anyone elseā€¦

:movie_camera: ref

(Crow T. Robot) #31

(eat more) #32

olderā€¦

(Brad Taylor) #33

Honored to have been selected for the MAIL (insert crazy voice) segment of the show! It still bugs me, but not enough to start my own show as Carl suggested. :grinning:

I love the show and will for now on salute the dietary hacking term.

Keto on!!

Brad, thank you for being a great example of what this forum is all about. You are awesome! There is no problem when someone speaks up and brings an idea to the group. Then we all have the ability to digest, comment, provide alternate perspectives, and as a community land on some common points of agreement.

You did not blindly hang on to your original hypothesisā€¦you allowed the community to discuss and test it. And then you accepted the outcome.

You are awesome!!!

Happy birthday, by the way!!! I see the icon next to your name!

(Richard Morris) #35

It was a great comment, and it gave us an opportunity to talk about how we are fine tuning our bodies and trying things to learn whether they work. Itā€™s a great chance to set the record straight that keto is not a one size fits all diet, but a loose set of rules to allow your body to find the diet for you.