Diet sweets

This may be a little off topic, but do any of you find that you gain weight temporarily when you eat keto sweets? For example, I find that if I eat a keto cupcake that’s 5 net carbs (ok maybe two :slight_smile: ) then I find myself to be 3-5 lbs heavier the next morning weigh in. It takes 2-3 days to lose it.

(Susan) #22

I found out last June that I had to eliminate all artificial sweeteners or I gained weight --even if it was a piece of sugar free gum; so yes, I stopped eating them since (except on a rare occasion if I have an vodka drink in a diet pop basically, so a couple of times a year).

@Mavro
Sadly yes. Seems any kind of sweet taste- even artificial- can create an insulin secretion in some people.

I was wondering about that. Usually I’d have keto sweets after a meal so to have the fats/protein of the meal help reduce any insulin spike cause by the treat.

I’m just wondering where the weight gain is coming from. My first thought is that it’s water retention as if it were real sugar consumed but I don’t know if that’s correct since it’s monk fruit or erythritol. Maybe it’s another of the ingredients like the almond and/or coconut flour. I might have to experiment. Luckily I get back to what I was a few days later. Weird.

@Mavro
Say what? You thought the sweet would counteract the insulin caused by the fat or protein? Or that all that fat would hinder an insulin reaction? No. Fat does not cause insulin spike and fat does not protect against insulin secretion. SWEET causes insulin spike! So if you eat a lot of fat and then sweet and cause insulin to be secreted, the insulin will actually cause fat to be stored in your body! Fats PLUS sweet is a recipe for disaster. We can only eat so much fat and lose weight because we DONT eat sweets/carbs and therefore DONT cause insulin to be secreted.

What I meant was the fats from the meal would help slow down the absorption of the ‘sugars’ so I get less of a spike then having eaten the sweets on their own. Maybe I’m wrong? I’m far from an expert.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but every keto meal would cause a bit of an insulin spike since there’s protein consumed as part of it. Although protein doesn’t cause as much of a spike as sugar, it’s still causes one.

I guess there would be no insulin spike at all if the meal was 100% fat. But that’d be quite rare. :slight_smile:

I’m still learning…

@Mavro
No the fat does not hinder or slow down the carb absorption. With both you just get a double whammy. Protein can be turned into sugar, but the process is a bit complicated. If you want to do Keto right, just keep the carbs below 20g/ day. A bit of insulin will always be secreted but with keto- not enough to stop us from burning fat as long as we keep the carbs that low. Thats the principle of it. You might want to watch some Dr Berry clips on youtube- he is very informative and easy to follow what he says.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

Do you know what kind of mass you are gaining? Is it lean tissue or fat? How are your clothes feeling.

If you are gaining lean tissue (muscle, bone density), it is likely the result of the healthful diet you are now eating. If you are gaining fat, then look for things in your diet and eating pattern that might be stimulating insulin secretion.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

The effect of protein on insulin depends on the dietary context. In a low-carbohydrate context, any insulin increase is matched by an increase in glucagon production, and the insulin/glucagon ratio remains unchanged. In a high-carbohydrate context, the insulin spike is not matched by glucagon secretion, and the insulin/glucagon ratio will increase significantly. It is this ratio, more than the absolute level of insulin, that is the determining factor. As long as the ratio stays low, we remain in ketosis.

Insulin is not bad, in and of itself; after all, we need it in order to stay alive! It’s excessive insulin—and excessive blood sugar—that is the problem.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #30

Sucralose FTW ! :grin:

BTW, I’m the first to say, that I do believe “some people” might be affected differently (more negatively) by artificial sweeteners than I am. Interestingly, my GF (also a Keto’er) has been having a LOT of digestion issues, and her Dr’ put her on a strict elimination diet… which would be tough enough already, if a person was not doing Keto. But anyway, she cut out ALL dairy, and all gluten, but for whatever reason, has never been worried about Sucralose {which is really strange to me, considering all the food stuff she does worry about ?} Well, here we are 3 weeks later, and she is still having major digestive issues.

So I told her yesterday, "Ya’ know, even though I’m a Sucralose freak… and even though you have never seemed to worry about it, you might try eliminating that, and maybe replacing it with erythritol, or monkfruit for a few weeks ? I can eat these other sweeteners, even though I prefer Sucralose.

Hmmm. We will see. I’ll sure be glad when she starts eating dairy, and gluten again ! Making it kind of tough around the house…

I’m a tall guy so thankfully 3-5lbs doesn’t look like anything on me. I don’t feel anything tighter. I use a Fitbit Aria scale and it shows it as lean mass, so I was thinking that it’s water weight. Especially since I lose it 3 days later.

That makes sense. Thanks for the response.

For me it would be in a low carb context. I don’t get out of ketosis according to the urine strips that I use (I know, not the most reliable but I have lots of them) and I don’t feel fatigued.