Did I really just make matters WORSE?

(Bob M) #5

I’m about to do an N=1 on this! I’ll post results. (Test: December 9th.)

I had labs about 5ish months into keto and experienced a big jump in cholesterol too. My primary Dr was concerned but my keto/weight loss Dr said wait it out and repeat labs in a few months. I just got my results and they are fine. So, doing the math here, 11 months of keto resulted in all in range results for me. In my entire adult life, this is the first time I can say that. I did make a change though from several eggs a day to just several a week. Good luck.

(Bob M) #7

It is highly unlikely that changed anything. Your body just makes less cholesterol if it takes in cholesterol from food.

Don’t believe me? Try this:

Eat no eggs for one week, then eat tons of eggs for one week. See what happens. It’ll cost you $8.75 for each test.

(Robin) #8

I did all that.

(Robin) #9

THANKS SO MUCH! Just what I needed to hear. My gut says everything is good. I’m gonna stay the course. KCKO

(Robin) #10

Thanks. I just read some of the threads on this. Sounds like you are correct, I just need to keep on keeping on.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Remember also, folks, that the evidence that cholesterol causes cardiovascular disease is seriously lacking. In fact there is evidence showing an inverse association between LDL and cardiovascular risk (i.e., the lower the LDL, the greater the risk), which is pretty conclusive evidence that cholesterol cannot be the cause of cardiovascular disease. The best that can be said is that some lipid numbers may serve as markers for cardiovascular risk, and it has not been shown that manipulating the markers affects the risk.

Are you watching your macros or just eating stuff?

That looks like an interesting company! Thanks for the link. I just thought i should add in the fact that I did make a small change to my diet. I just have been told to watch what I eat in the week leading up to a blood test so that I won’t get false results. It would be interesting to see if that is a true statement for me.

(Robin) #14

Will do, thanks!

(Robin) #15

I am strict keto, mostly carnivore… mostly meat. Couple eggs here and there and Boursin cheese (can’t remember who on here turned me on to that!!! OMG!) Heavy cream with my coffee, but only 2 cups in the morning. Sometimes a few veggies or full Greek yogurt for carbs. I take all the usual supplements. I keep close track. ALWAYS well under 20 g carb, then roughly 80 % fat, 20% protein.

(Robin) #16

My doc is open to keto and is learning along with me. My CAC scan was 32, I’m still losing weight, and I feel fabulous. So, I agree… I am going to wait another 6 months and recheck. And then whatever it is… that’s just me on keto. And I am NOT willing to give up on keto.

(UsedToBeT2D) #17

Keto is the best thing since sliced bread. Skip the bread.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #18

Look here:

Are you eating enough? Not sure how you do 20% protein when doing mostly carnivore but really doesn’t matter either. I’d dial back the fat and see what happens. We can’t all eat a diet where 80% of it comes from fat and have good cholesterol levels. I’m one of them. But can’t figure that one out without tracking. I’m willing to bet your numbers start going back pretty quick with some tweaks.

(Robin) #20

You may be onto something. I think my calorie intake is probably too low. It’s been a while since I used a carb app. It did a good job of flagging when I ate too few calories, which is way too easy to do. And my protein has probably upped since I made the transition to mostly meat. I guess the only thing I know for sure is how many carbs I consume. So, thanks for that question. I’ll start tracking again to see where I’m at. Good call.

(KCKO, KCFO) #21

From: Dr. Ross Walker in ep. 45 of the Fat emperor podcasts.
I do not personally prescribe as a cardiologist fat soluble statins. Atorvastatin and simvastatin, I don’t prescribe them at all. Because I believe they penetrate through the membrane so much more because they evidently bind to a fatty membrane and in a healthy person, the membrane of the cell is 75% fat. So they’re ripping out healthy cholesterol out of the cell membranes. I only prescribed the water soluble statins, rosuvastatin and fluvastatin and only for people that have either a high coronary calcium score or proven pre existing heart disease. They are the only people I give statins to.

The fat soluable ones on another podcast mentioned they seem to be used by a lot of patients who develop cancer. Sorry I can’t locate the link right now. Lipator is a fat soluable statin.

Without having a CAC that is high or a heart attack episode, I personally would not be accepting a prescription for a statin.

It is also common for numbers to go up in the early stages of keto/lchf WOE. Work on getting the HDL and and Trig. in balance.

Good luck of sorting it out.

(Robin) #22

Thanks, this is good information. I’ve been on a roller coaster since May. Weighed 218 (I’m 5”7). (Lots of reasons, none of which matter.) So after the lab work, I went on Simvastatin and Keto… figured I would cover all my bets. This chart shows the roller coaster of results. At this point, I weigh 178 and I feel great. I’m thinking I will ditch the statin and wait until next year to re-checked. Just KCKO.

Have you plugged your number’s into Dave Feldman’s Cholesterol Code Report?

It might offer you some additional information.

(Robin) #24

Yep. Looks like the Jeppersen is about the ratio between Triglycerides and HDL. I’m making slow progress in the right direction. Went from 3.1 to 2.4 in 6 months. Yeah… slow.