Dark circles under eyes on Keto and other strange things

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #41

You should look into cortisol levels. If they’re persistently far higher than normal, it could explain the rapid aging.

(Annalee Haley) #42

Good morning. Mag citrate is not well absorbed. You may try Mag Glycinate and get better results. I do agree that we are deficient in mag and it may take more to get your levels up.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #43

Why not mixing unflavored milk of magnesia with unflavored sparkling water?

(Elian) #44

Tough to say. If you’re doing keto without expert supervision and monitoring you might end up healing some parts while damaging others in the long run, it’s true. Or it could simply be your genetics. I know I’ve had dark circles my whole life, even before starting keto. They’re hereditary in my case, so I’ve gotten so good at blending concealer you could swear it’s not even there. :stuck_out_tongue:

What you could do is ask your GP to order a CMP for you - Comprehensive Metabolic Panel. Each gram of carb holds four times the water in your body so when you’re doing keto without proper hydration and trace mineral support, water retention is decreased and skin tends to look thinner, particularly around the eyes can where it can create the appearance of even darker circles than usual. That test will tell you if your electrolyte levels are normal or if you have some adrenal fatigue which is another common cause of dark circles in some people.

(Jonathon melbourne) #45

I’m not sure how active this thread is. I’m super healthy, lean and my doctor’s are very proud of me. I’m 41 and look 30 however since starting Carnivore in April I look incredibly tired. I’ve never slept better or felt better however my eyes have dark purple colouring under and my skin is very dry. I eat lots of variety, bone broths, some organics strictly no oil no dairy no bacon nothing processed. I have regular blood tests for vitamin D, and 16 other items and all are great. What’s causing the black colouring? I have one coffee per day however I was having 6-8 coffees a day for 10 years before carnivore

(Bunny) #46

Check this out:

They also discuss dark circles (black coloring) under eyes that your talking about also!

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #47

what specific foods did you remove going on carnivore?

(James) #48

Dark circles under the eyes occur when protein is too high in the diet. High protein levels tax and deplete the body, so it can undo your vitamin intake. I eat 140 grams of protein a day (eggs, gelatin, bone broth, and/or grass-fed whey), but I look terrible unless I make sure that this high amount of protein is only 30% of my diet.

Like others have experienced, my skin gets very dry, my hair becomes brittle, I become chronically thirsty, and I look haggard when protein becomes the dominant macro. I’m 30 years old and am used to looking great for my age, so these symptoms alarm me. My trick to counteract the protein is to swallow tablespoons of lard until the protein becomes only a 3rd of the total carbs/fat/protein ratio.

There are Keto fudges that are equivalent to a tablespoon of saturated fat as well (one brand is KetoLogic, which uses coconut oil instead of lard). I’d like to start making my own frozen “cocoa lard” snacks with an ice cube mold in my freezer. Might as well glamorize the fat’s taste!

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #49

Does that not mean that technically you are having a fat deficiency?

(Allie) #50

Not the case with me. Mine were worse when I was strictly limiting protein to stick to set macros, but since I stopped tracking completely and just eat whatever I want (which is much higher protein but staying keto), not an issue.