COVID-19 What Are/Will You Do to Deal with This?

(Doug) #21

As of today, hunkered down with my wife (she’s a teacher, now doing everything remotely). We live in Midtown Atlanta (Georgia, USA) and wow - things are quiet around here. Decent stock of food and everything else that’s essential - that we could think of.

No official policy yet from my employer, other than anybody who’s off sick - for anything that could remotely be the virus - has to get tested and be negative before they return to work. I think that in another week or two the whole place will shut down anyway; we weren’t doing anything and I decided to err on the side of safety.

Hoping that I can get Unemployment compensation at some point - we will see. Or, that the sick leave mandated by the U.S. Congress this past week will apply to me; it’s either 10 or 12 weeks paid, in addition to what sick time one has accrued. In the meantime, will probably use up all my vacation pay. Frankly, I’d rather get it now than take it for granted that everything will remain the same with my employer toward the end of the year - when I usually take most of the vacation pay.

Being over 59 1/2 years old, I can withdraw retirement money (IRA and 401K) without penalty, although of course tax would be due on it next year, so that’s the last resort.

We’re wearing latex gloves when we go out, and being strict about what we touch and don’t touch, how we take the gloves off, then immediate hand washing.

We’re both going to record our daily thoughts in a journal as we go through this.

My wife has a good bit to do, and should be fine. I’ll totally be fine - can play computer games endlessly, although am trying to be mindful about getting a lot of sleep for the immune system benefits. Just got ‘Grand Theft Auto V’ - that sucker was an 89 gigabyte download… :flushed:

(Scott) #22

Clearly this is behavior that is being discouraged. Before any guidelines were announced I thought the gym may not be safe. I went in and got one of the provided clorox wipes and used it to handle to weight pin. When I used it to wipe the handles it got so dirty that I needed a fresh one every two or three machines. Clearly no one is cleaning this equipment let alone disinfecting it. I finished and washed my hands deciding not to go back until this passes. Three days later it was posted that gyms in most areas should be closed. My gym is still open and has many cars in the parking lots when I ran past. I shake my head thing “some people just don’t get it”

If you go to a filthy gym that may be true… FOR YOU, mine is clean and always has been. Now it’s the closest to a hospital a gym can be. Everybody wipes, everybody disinfects, everybody keeps whatever distance they can. Staff if going around constantly wiping behind us.

If you want to allow the media to make you so afraid you cower in your house that’s your right. I’m not. The outside and public population is probably at about 30-40% normal and that alone does a ton. The numbers still make the seasonal flu WAY worse. As of the time of me writing this the US has had 15,219 cases, that’s .0000475% of the population. I’ve got a MUCH better chance of getting AND DYING from the seasonal flu w/vacine than I do this. Seniors are distancing themselvs people high risk aren’t coming out. We’re doing enough. Do what works for you.

(charlie3) #24

The only glitch in my plan so far is whether I’ll be able to buy what’s on the list when I shop. If I can get everything then don’t have to go out in public more than once every 10 days to two weeks otherwise i’m roaming around more often.

For the past 2 years my priorities have been eat, sleep, and train, maximum fitness with zero health compromise. Been preparing for this time without knowing it was coming. Will it make any damn difference? Fascinating question.

('Jackie P') #25

In August last year I retired from my post as Clinical Nurse Practioner (nights) in the NHS and now work on the Nurse Bank. I work 1 day a week in the Eye Clinic Day Surgery and 1 in the Medical Day Unit looking after cancer patients and others immunosuppressed. I’m 100% sure the Eye Clinic will close. I am happy to do extra in the MDU, but I’m dreading being asked back to the acute areas. I have so enjoyed being free of the stress. It will be up to my conscience, but I can’t split between immunosuppressed and infected patients!
I would love to take to my house and hibernate tbh, but even though I am effectively self employed, it doesn’t feel like an option to me.
My bravery has deserted me at present :smirk:.
I am 62 in a few months, I have given 44 years to the NHS, I don’t really want to put myself at risk!
On a positive note I am a damn sight healthier than many of my younger colleagues.
Watch this space :slightly_smiling_face:

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #26

Self-employed sole trader artist here, married to a self-employed sole trader freelance photographer. We are fine for now. We both have ‘underlying health conditions’, and he is on immunosuppressant medication.

Current worries: we each pay rent on our work places, and our household income depends entirely on having clients with jobs for him, and customers and students for me. The diary has - naturally - emptied. And the reason for buying the van has been (guttingly) been pretty much put on hold.

What are we doing? Well, having collected our new-to-us camper van last week we have been making the most of it - we’ve overnighted in it twice, and have been out on several all-day day trips. It’s been incredible.

But travel isn’t really part of social distancing, so I fear the van will stay parked outside for now. Breakfast cooked in the van while at the beach this morning will I think be our last mobile meal for a while.

I’ve just missed tonight’s ‘Boris briefing’ but I gather he was talking about the more stringent ‘social shielding’ thing, which I am concerned might include Mr S - we’ll see if a letter from the NHS arrives next week. His next infusion is scheduled for a week on Wednesday - he’s currently wondering whether to go to the hospital to have it and potentially risk meeting the virus head-on, or not having it and have his health and mobility rapidly compromised.

We’re keeping busy by:

• being in daily contact with Mr S’s mum and my APs (Aged Parents).
  • cooking lots - there is plenty in the freezer. My regular grocery shopping delivery has been cancelled for the week ahead, but I’m hoping for one next week - if not we are not going to starve.
  • reading books.
  • hoping to walk down to my workshop now and again - as it happens I took an online order over the weekend so I will be dealing with that tomorrow. But I don’t want to spend entire days down there, because the bathroom facilities are shared between the units, and there are others working down on the same site (although I work alone, not with anyone).

I am keto. Mr S is filthy keto (dirty keto + the odd piece of cake or packet of crisps - shhhh, don’t tell him I told you). So far we are eating as we normally do. I have been losing weight but that’s due to a bit of tweaking of what I’m eating rather than anything more sinister.

Oh, I used to have a drink every evening, which was always half a glass of white wine topped up with fizzy water, or on a cold night half a glass of red wine topped up with hot water (don’t knock it till you’ve tried it - it’s like sugar-free spice-free mulled wine!). But at the moment I’m getting through a bottle of wine every three days - I need to keep an eye on this!!!

My MIL has nothing to keep her occupied at home. Her hobbies are:

• talking to people on the phone
  • going out for lunch with friends
  • going to lunch club with friends
  • going to seated exercise with friends
  • going to her joint-replacement hospital for weekly physio
  • going out grocery shopping
  • watching television

Many of these are out of the window. She has been talking to a friend about starting to knit, having given all of her knitting stuff away decades ago. She is already feeling isolated.

The APs are a very intrepid couple - they’re often travelling - they were supposed to be going away for a week last Tuesday, and that was after having been away for a week before that. They’re walking daily but not at their usual favourite spot - they’re now walking from home, rather than driving somewhere. They have their very large garden to keep them occupied, and plenty of hobbies (again, photography and art). If they stay well, they’ll be just fine.

My heart isn’t in my art right now. Like many I am very anxious right now.

Thank you for this thread, @amwassil. It has really helped me to get my thoughts in order.

Stay safe.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #27

That’s keto for you!!! x

('Jackie P') #28

Stay healthy and safe everyone🙂

(Ethan) #29

12 hours later, the numbers say 32,000–double what you posted. Those numbers are wrong. This is no flue. I hate the people who make that comparison. It takes time to spin this thing up, and when it is done, it is likely to have killed far, far more than the flu this year–orders of magnitude more.

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #30
  1. Diet that is friendly to the immune system. Keto, low oxalate, low lectin. Lots of omega-3, 99% fresh food, self prepared.
  2. Vitamin C, D, K and lysine supplements.
    Lysine is supposed to be antiviral if taken in therapeuthic doses, which are 1g lysine per day for every 50 pounds body weight. I take twice that amount. Response to infections is always tricky because of possible placebo effect, but personally, taking lysine has helped me in the past fend off some bugs while many other supplements did nothing.
  3. Apart from my daugher, no social contacts. I go shopping 1-2 times a week, otherwise I try to avoid any exposure.
  4. The usual. Reduce stress, get enough sleep, and so on :slight_smile:

Mind you, I have an immunodeficiency. So it’s probably a good idea to avoid the virus. :slight_smile:

All this below is being done as I emerge from the sociopathic panic stage into the purposeful readiness stage. Realisation dawned that we are doing these things for the community and our species, rather than individual survival. I’m healthy enough to survive the die cast.

I am eating ketocarnivore.

Staying at home.

Showering in soapy soap, if I have had to go out, before I do stuff at home.

Washing clothes daily. Wiping down door handles, light switches and mobile devices twice a day.

Hand washing dishes all the time as it’s two birds with one tub of soapy hot water.

Working online.

Getting out on th lawn in the sunshine each day.

Cooking and freezing beef stew. Making beef bone broth.

Doing some yoga breathing. Actually, my wife and I made a yoga video as she lost her waitressing job and yoga teaching at studios jobs all in one Priministerial announcement last night.

Surprisingly, social distancing seemed to be increased for a few hours after publishing.

Talking with my mum and two brothers once a day ( yes, it happens that fast)

Preparing an exposure plan, a fever plan and a recovery plan. Setting out the meals and medications for each.

Getting the flu vaccine.

A bit of gardening.

I’ve found that it has been helpful to get out in the sunshine, take naps, eat keto-carnivore, take my vities. The sun and cold air makes me feel more upbeat and positive, which is important since my job is considered “essential”, and not everyone I work with is feeling positive. While trying to muster up the courage to confront this sort of crisis, staying positive and upbeat is crucial.

Having said that, I’ve tried my best not to get irked at people (coworkers, patients, customers, etc…) who poo-poo this as a mere “flu”. Some people lash out due to long lines, long wait times for Rx, limits on TP, and empty shelves- then go off about “it’s only a flu!” Well, as positive and upbeat as I try to be, the article I’m linking sheds some light on why this is not a mere flu. Read all the way to the end and you will understand why all the concern and caution.
www.zerohedge.com/health/holy-shit-not-flu-medical-worker-describes-terrifying-lung-failure-covid-19-even-young
What it does not mention is the aerosol-like spreading of it. In colder temps, with dry air- the virus stays in the air for hours upon hours. While it does not affect everyone the same, it is far more contagious than other viruses we’ve experienced. So- its ability to reach more people is increased.

Be safe everyone, and take precautions.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #33

@SecondBreakfast I have just read that article - thank you for posting the link.

Absolutely chillling.

(Polly) #34

Good luck with making some hard choices @CrackerJax and huge respect for so many years of service already given.

(Scott) #35

I would venture to guess that your governor will make this decision for you by the end of the week and close all gyms. I also think your math will get a reality check soon as well but I can only hope I am wrong.

As it’s been said a bazillion times, more testing becomes available there will be a spike in numbers. We’ve known that the whole time. We’ve also known that many are contracting and beating this thing without feeling almost anything. We’re at 35,070 as of writing this in the US, with 458 unfortunately dead.

THIS year in the US, let’s not forget we’re barely 4mo into the year
36,000,000 flu infections
370,000 hospitalizations
22,000 deaths!

#'s courtesy of the CDC.

You’re right, this is NOT the flu, that flu (which we have vaccines for) has infected and KILLED FAR more people in the last 4mo!

STOP watching some moron on the news with a scary headline and read the ACTUAL numbers. YES this is bad, YES it can kill people, YES we need to be careful but C’MON!

(Ethan) #37

It’s that attitude that will guarantee that this kills far more in the next several months than the flu has in the last decade

You say that, but back it up with fact, you can’t. The numbers are the numbers. Are you NEVER leaving your house? You leaving in a HAZMAT suit when you do? You have medical grade air scrubbers installed?

FACT, you will get and DIE from the flu MANY times over before you die from this. Again, that is still very much statistical fact. You’re arguing on opinion not real numbers. You don’t have a crystal ball, and you don’t know how this will turn out. Nobody does. So far nothing has happened that wasn’t predicted from the start.

(Ethan) #39

You can minimize risk, but not eliminate. NYC runs out of ventilators this week.

Flu has been present the whole time and escalating for 6 months. This virus was not present until recently. It hasn’t had the time built up to the levels that will make you cry. I hope you are right. But what if you are not? All the experts-ALL-say this is a big deal that we need to stop. There is no set of experts saying it’ll just stop suddenly. There is no way to know the future, but nobody sees a model that shows this ending in a way better than 10x a flu. It’s probably infected 100000+ people perhaps in the United States. It takes a few more weeks for the deaths to pile up. Exponential growth and delayed outcomes is the stats that prove it. If this peters out to wimpy nothing, Ill eat my words. What will you do?

I live in a household with a high-risk-pregnant wife, my son, and my father in law. My wife and I work full time at home right now. I’m actually working more to ensure I am essential. My son has no lesson plans from school. We are doing everything to keep him with some structure and learning. I can get everything I need delivered for a while luckily. No hazmat suit needed. Reduce risk of spread is all that is prudent here now. We will have some people working—can’t eliminate the risk. But we can get that R0 value down to 1.

Agree 100%, NYC is a very specific problem to those in NYC, it’s beyond over populated and bordering on being a cesspool when we’re NOT dealing with epidemics. THEY need to be 100% on their game and more cautious, much more than the majority of the country. “Social Distancing” and a near impossibility in a place like that.

YOU again, have a very different situation. Because of what you’ve got going on you could infect higher risk people. Not that we all can’t, but for YOU it would be more of a problem and more likely to happen. My kids also out of school but still in daycare so he can have some normalcy. They’re checking temps, parents aren’t allowed in the classrooms anymore and their delivered to your car when you pick them up. All smart common sense stuff. I only get what I need when I go out, and with supermarket rationing that means many more trips out than it would usually take. Seems you’re not the shut it you appeared to be!