Self-employed sole trader artist here, married to a self-employed sole trader freelance photographer. We are fine for now. We both have ‘underlying health conditions’, and he is on immunosuppressant medication.
Current worries: we each pay rent on our work places, and our household income depends entirely on having clients with jobs for him, and customers and students for me. The diary has - naturally - emptied. And the reason for buying the van has been (guttingly) been pretty much put on hold.
What are we doing? Well, having collected our new-to-us camper van last week we have been making the most of it - we’ve overnighted in it twice, and have been out on several all-day day trips. It’s been incredible.
But travel isn’t really part of social distancing, so I fear the van will stay parked outside for now. Breakfast cooked in the van while at the beach this morning will I think be our last mobile meal for a while.
I’ve just missed tonight’s ‘Boris briefing’ but I gather he was talking about the more stringent ‘social shielding’ thing, which I am concerned might include Mr S - we’ll see if a letter from the NHS arrives next week. His next infusion is scheduled for a week on Wednesday - he’s currently wondering whether to go to the hospital to have it and potentially risk meeting the virus head-on, or not having it and have his health and mobility rapidly compromised.
We’re keeping busy by:
- being in daily contact with Mr S’s mum and my APs (Aged Parents).
- cooking lots - there is plenty in the freezer. My regular grocery shopping delivery has been cancelled for the week ahead, but I’m hoping for one next week - if not we are not going to starve.
- reading books.
- hoping to walk down to my workshop now and again - as it happens I took an online order over the weekend so I will be dealing with that tomorrow. But I don’t want to spend entire days down there, because the bathroom facilities are shared between the units, and there are others working down on the same site (although I work alone, not with anyone).
I am keto. Mr S is filthy keto (dirty keto + the odd piece of cake or packet of crisps - shhhh, don’t tell him I told you). So far we are eating as we normally do. I have been losing weight but that’s due to a bit of tweaking of what I’m eating rather than anything more sinister.
Oh, I used to have a drink every evening, which was always half a glass of white wine topped up with fizzy water, or on a cold night half a glass of red wine topped up with hot water (don’t knock it till you’ve tried it - it’s like sugar-free spice-free mulled wine!). But at the moment I’m getting through a bottle of wine every three days - I need to keep an eye on this!!!
My MIL has nothing to keep her occupied at home. Her hobbies are:
- talking to people on the phone
- going out for lunch with friends
- going to lunch club with friends
- going to seated exercise with friends
- going to her joint-replacement hospital for weekly physio
- going out grocery shopping
- watching television
Many of these are out of the window. She has been talking to a friend about starting to knit, having given all of her knitting stuff away decades ago. She is already feeling isolated.
The APs are a very intrepid couple - they’re often travelling - they were supposed to be going away for a week last Tuesday, and that was after having been away for a week before that. They’re walking daily but not at their usual favourite spot - they’re now walking from home, rather than driving somewhere. They have their very large garden to keep them occupied, and plenty of hobbies (again, photography and art). If they stay well, they’ll be just fine.
My heart isn’t in my art right now. Like many I am very anxious right now.
Thank you for this thread, @amwassil. It has really helped me to get my thoughts in order.