Could insulin resistance be whether people get deathly ill or not?

(Jennibc) #1

Maybe many of you have already seen this, but his theory really makes sense considering that most of the people requiring hospitalization have an underlying health condition like diabetes, obesity and heart disease. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lJPjsuftmQ&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1n2qfaoCxqZQj4Gc0z52aXVGVNKDn-6fv1htz4MSH0rFMlHQRbOTlmUik&app=desktop

Also consider that so many on the USS Roosevelt are asymptomatic. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-military-sympt/coronavirus-clue-most-cases-aboard-u-s-aircraft-carrier-are-symptom-free-idUSKCN21Y2GB?fbclid=IwAR1TVbWNJLsCoTFHWBN6WMRVhN6hajAxaje7HUBN1-5MJCnxAOaiHwuzyDw

You get pulled out of the military for the underlying health conditions that are mentioned above. Active military members tend to be healthier.

(Scott) #2

I hope they did a lot of testing on the USS Roosevelt. It is the perfect setting to determine the % asymptomatic vs full blown covid 19 symptoms and overall transmission rate in a close environment. The cruise ships make to many stops to really know who got infected and when / where it happened.

(Jennibc) #3

They’ve tested almost everyone from what I have read.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Metabolic disease has a deleterious effect on the immune system, so this is not surprising news.

Paul Mason is a sharp cookie, and one of the best physicians in the field of sport medicine.

(Jeff S) #5

And I hear he sells no wine before its time. :laughing:

And with that… this small diversion…

If you’ve never seen the outtakes from this commercial with Orson Welles, it is a real treat:

Governmental response to Covid-19, Sweden, etc
(Jennibc) #6

I am old enough to remember this commercial!

(Jenna Ericson) #7

I like that the Paul Mason video gave three good reasons why insulin resistance causes an increased susceptibility to coronavirus.

Apparently insulin resistance leads to more ACE2 receptors, which is what the virus binds to, meaning there would be more opportunities for the virus to take hold. I’ve heard you would also have more ACE2 receptors if you are on an ACE inhibitor for lowering blood pressure so it’s a particularly bad combo if you are both insulin resistant and on an ACE inhibitor.

The video also noted that insulin resistance causes an impaired immune response which we pretty much knew, but it’s import to state.

The third reason was one I hadn’t heard before which is that glycation of natural killer cells makes them less effective. If you are insulin resistant you probably have high blood sugar which, I would assume, leads to this glycation.

(Maureen Bode) #8

Could blood pressure medication be a major common factor? The medication increases the ACE2 receptors and most major chronic diseases eg diabetes and heart disease, will use this to lower blood pressure.

(Maureen Bode) #9

I guess the medical profession etc do not what to get this out there as people will stop taking their medication.

(Jennibc) #10

There was actually a hypothesis about this in the Lancet https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lanres/PIIS2213-2600(20)30116-8.pdf

(Karen) #11

This was in the news today. I hope the word gets out that keto can help reduce obesity and diabetes. Some of the biggest underlying factors are these two, and of course the high blood pressure can go with that as well.

There are many underlying conditions for Covid… “
Underlying conditions were common. The researchers found that, among all patients, 57 percent had high blood pressure, 41 percent were obese and just over a third had diabetes.”

I think it’s important to know what are those numbers among the whole population… I think we all know these conditions are bad regarding this virus know but it still gives a clearer picture to know that info as well.

I often read the info about the new deaths in my country. We always lose people with (often multiple, even several) serious chronic illnesses but at least high blood pressure and most of them are quite old. High blood pressure is frequent but it’s true for the whole population as well. I think. I don’t know the numbers. But it’s not surprising if it’s much more frequent among the dead.

(Joey) #13

At the risk of adding some tastelessly morbid humor, while taking an important point out of context…

I doubt that high blood pressure is more frequent among the dead. The dead tend to have fairly low blood pressure. :mask:

(Joey) #14

Many thanks. This correspondence in the Lancet is well worth reading.

closed #15