Cortisol and EFA's

So, looked closer at some stuff on Wikipedia and this stood out…

The main physiological requirement for ω-6 fatty acids is attributed to arachidonic acid. Arachidonic acid is the major precursor of prostaglandins, leukotrienes that play a vital role in cell signaling, and an endogenous cannabinoid anandamide.[11]

The arachidonic acid pathways are what’s inhibited by NSAIDs and ginger supplementation as part of the inflammatory response. So, don’t go overboard [with anti-inflammatories] unless there’s a good reason. Treat the cause of the inflammation rather than the symptom.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

Thanks, Carol. This is basically the picture Dr. Phinney paints, as well. I understood him to say at Ketofest that arachidonic acid is produced by more than one pathway, but it was an intense coversation, so I may not have gotten that entirely right.

@David_Stilley Dr. Ede’s points are well-taken. I would merely add that the problem with arachidonic acid is its influence on inflammatory processes. Acute inflammation is a necessary part of the immune response, but the problem arises with chronic systemic inflammation, which Dr. Phinney considers to be the cause of insulin resistance (that surprised me, because I thought it was the other way round), and hence the root cause of diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease, etc.

As with many things, I understand the issue with ARA to be one of maintaining the proper level. Which is true of glucose and insulin, as well, when we get right down to it. More and more, it seems really important to simply get out of the body’s way and let it take care of things. It’s when we try to aggressively influence bodily processes that we seem to get into trouble.

So, it doesn’t convert directly, but has to go through a few steps and some of these may be inadequate? Similar to ALA and EPA/DHA?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #24

In Dr. Ede’s presentation she states that there is no scientific evidence this conversion actually takes place. Zero evidence. :cowboy_hat_face:

Ok, so go with animal sources for AA, forget the chain from plant-based LA.
:checkered_flag:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

If I understand her correctly, she was saying that there is no evidence that α-linoleic acid gets made into γ-linoleic acid, but that doesn’t preclude the formation of arachidonic acid by other means, as Phinney seems to believe possible. As much as I respect Dr. Ede and her research, she is not an experimenter but a reporter of the work done by others, and there is vast room for error in that process. And Dr. Phinney could likewise also be proved wrong.

Similarly, Dr. Ede and Professor Bikman disagree on the brain’s need for glucose. She claims it does need it, whereas Bikman claims there are no experimental data anywhere in the literature to support this idea. Who is right? I certainly don’t know. Cahill asserts the brain’s need for glucose in several of his works, but I haven’t located the study where he presents actual data to document the assertion. I can’t believe that Bikman is unfamiliar with Cahill’s work, since it relates directly to his own, so . . . :???:

(edited for clarity)

(Full Metal KETO AF) #27

@PaulL It all gets rather confusing to an average Ketonian sometimes, doesn’t it? So much conflicting opinion even among pro keto doctors and researchers. :roll_eyes:

The studies on Ginger show it’s very safe for both children and adults - up to around 3.5gms dry daily for adults- probably due in large part to its superfood/adaptogenic qualities, all the other tasks it takes on according to need, which is fascinating to me. The body utilizes it very personally - if cortisol isn’t high, it may instead be utilized more for pro-enzyme or fibrin clearing. I expect its pro-circulation powers is the key.

Causes of inflammation include poor enzyme levels/digestive stagnation, and stress/cortisol which Ginger addresses. My hunch is that when one isn’t taking Ginger for pain relief (suppressing the acute COXl-ll pathways), the Ginger is a whole body nutrient ally unlike any synthetic NSAIDs… :thinking: Plus, its usage & study goes back thousands of years in the east, which is a history I personally trust much more for my medicine…

P.S. @PortHardy - And, if you’re eating 3 meals a day, two caps per meal is only 3.3 mg - well within the upper limits of “proven safety” for Ginger in the western science context, and well within the dosages of the thousands-year-old eastern medicines according to what I’ve read on dosages from ancient texts which defined dosages of small handmade pellets (often 6 of those per dose). I usually only hit 2.2 mg max, as I rarely eat 3 meals a day (a two capsule dose is 1.1 mg). However, if dealing w/ an acute extra stress or pain/injury, it can be taken regardless of a meal etc.

The only caveat/warning is for folks who are on blood-thinners/statins/anti-coagulants - they should avoid supplementing with Ginger as its quite the vasodilator - and it’s contraindicated in such scenarios (though using it as a spice in cooking isn’t nearly as concentrated and isn’t a medicinal dose, etc).

As always - do your own research, don’t just take internet words for it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(Heather Meyer) #30

Hmm…most days i only eat one meal a day… what would you recommed for dosesge? I am assuming we are to take with meals too. Do vasodialators effect blood pressure by lowering it or making it go higher?

It’s on the label - 2 caps is the dosage, that’s 1.1 grams. I just follow the label :blush: But if you were to instead eat it freshly sauteed, it’d be at least a tablespoon of grated.

Vasodilation lowers blood pressure, aids circulation. Fibrin clearing, which Ginger also does, aids circulation too.

Something about this also boosts nitric oxide (which is beneficial for menopausal and post-menopausal women according to Christiane Northrup MD, who also preaches LCHF/keto).

(Heather Meyer) #32

Well i found capsules that were 1200mg…does that come close? Would that be 1.2 grams per capsule then?

Yes, that’s how the math works out - sometimes they put both mg and gr amounts on things, sometimes not.

(Heather Meyer) #34

so i am not sure if i can take this because the guy at the store said it could lower my blood pressure and i have already low blood pressure?

Hmm I don’t really know - it’s a superfood. If one’s bp is already low, it wouldn’t necessarily take it lower - it does a bunch of other things depending on the body’'s priorities. If one’s bp is too-low, it may even improve it, because it’s an adaptogen. It’s a massive circulation enhancer and contraindicated for those on certain BP reducing medications. So do your own research before you start a Ginger regimen!

That doesn’t end well! I’d be more worried about metabolic damage than I would cortisol levels.

(Bunny) #37

Could not have said it better myself! :+1:

(PJ) #38

I’m reminded of Zoe Harcomb’s search for the source of “3500 calories in a pound of fat.”

If someone in the public eye very plainly says “there is zero in the published science world to evidence this” and nobody else in that field (esp who disagrees) comes back with, “Not true, there’s ___ and ____” then usually the person was correct, and there’s not. That might just mean it was a known and went on as an assumption and never got published, but it might also mean it’s not true and is ONLY an assumption.

Questioning those is important. The answer will be whatever it is, but questioning things we think we know, but that doesn’t actually have a clear line of evidence for them, is a big deal.