Collagen

(Dave) #1

Just wondering if anyone has some input on Collagen protein intake while on keto diet.
Thanks

(Sonia A.) #2

I think you can take collagen protein as long as it’s within your protein budget. The recommended amount of protein to stay in ketosis is 1 to 1.5 g of protein per kg of lean body mass. If your collagen protein intake stays within this limit, you should be fine. But you need to test it to know because everyone is different.

Here is an interesting post on protein from @richard :

(Dave) #3

Thanks! Yeah I am familiar with protein, just starting to use collagen protein instead of Whey I have been using for the past decade. Trying to cut as much sugar and additives as I can. I have given into interest about keto and still deciding on if I can do it here in my current location (Iraq).
Thanks for the help!

(Liz ) #4

I use collagen for my joints, it really helps my knees! Also I heard it should help with leaky gut. I use 2 tbs a day, that’s about 22g of protein where I’m shooting for between 60 and 70g/day total. But I am interested in what others have to say on the topic because I have read that the protein in beef gelatin, which is my collagen source, is not in a usable form? Not a complete protein. Then I have heard others say that the amino acids needed to complete the protein are present in our bodies maybe from other food sources so it works out? So confusing.

Also I’ve read not to use the convenient hydrolysate version of collagen but only the kind that gels, but never WHY one is better than the other. The hydrolysate which dissolves in cold or hot liquids is very convenient and I’d prefer to use it if it’s still useful…I used to make wonderfully jellies with the gelling type but I did that with fruit juice and have found no palatable keto substitute as of yet.

(Dave) #5

Interesting. I am older now so I wanted to switch for the joint benefits, which I could really use! Plus my wife was getting some small bottles of Korean collagen but ran out, so we are going to start using the Great Lakes Collagen hydrolysate from Amazon. Many good reviews, going with hydrolysate because of ease of use. We will see. I also get some good bone broth from Oxtail soup in the winter months, love that stuff!. Thanks for the inputs!

(Liz ) #6

That’s the brand I use and I’m going to keep at it until I find a reason to stop. I get it from iHerb. I put it in my black tea to prevent nausea (it binds with the tanins that make me queasy on an empty stomach) and in coffee. I never notice it. Hope you have success with it!

(Amy) #7

Ooo, thanks for the tip! Tea on an empty stomach makes me queasy too! I’m going to try putting collagen in it!