Christmas conundrum - Yorkshire pudding

(Ellen) #9

I’ll put a dollop of butter in my gravy! Good thinking re starting small.

(Ken) #10

YP is a Christmas tradition for my family, along with a glorious standing rib roast cooked rare. I always make the Bearnaise Sauce for it. The YP causes me bloat, so I tend to eat it at the end, after I’ve eaten the meat and veggies.

I also always make guacamole and eggplant caviar.

(Ellen) #11

That all sounds delicious!

(Ellen) #12

My tastes are definitely changing!
Merry Christmas to you & yours as well.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

@Elle79 I haven’t had a Yorkshire pud in years. My ex was always the one who made them, and he was so good at it that I never had an incentive to learn. But anyway, I am wondering if there isn’t some kind of keto version of the recipe, just as there is for pizza crust. It would be fun testing out recipes, in any case!

Good luck with the hols. I second the advice to start with a half-portion. You can always eat more; it’s hard to eat less. If the gravy is made with lots of fat and a minimum of flour, it should be all right. (I’ve not been very successful with substituting nut flour for wheat flour or cornstarch in gravies.)

I am in awe of your ability to limit your carb intake, as I am a sugar addict, and grains and starches are almost as binge-triggering as sugar is, for me. My dad had a fruitcake hanging around the kitchen, for the last week or so (it’s gone now, fortunately), and it was a sore temptation, which I wasn’t always able to resist. Fruitcake is sort of a bad joke here in the U.S. (known for being inedible), but this was more like a traditional British Christmas cake and completely yummy. Fortunately for my sobriety, my dad knows nothing of hard sauce!

It was Martin Luther who said something along the lines of, it’s better not to sin, but if you’re going to sin, sin boldly. So if you’re going to break your ketogenic diet, do it as enjoyably as possible. But then get right back into it as soon as you can, because the benefits of this way of eating are so much more rewarding than momentary pleasures of the tongue.

(VLC.MD) #14

Not tempted.
Hey we all have our “things”.

(Ellen) #15

Hi Paul, as a Northener they’re one of the first things I learnt to make! I know where you’re coming from, there are many things I don’t think I could just have a bit of, although it helps knowing that if I tried for more my wonderful friends would slap me & say NO! Cake etc has never been my thing so could happily ignore that. In awe of me??? Hell no, I’m in awe of you, you’ve overcome an awful addiction (2 if you count sugar) that takes serious willpower & BAMF’ery!

(Ellen) #16

Wow, 15g per pud? That’s more than I thought, maybe I’ll abstain or do as @Jo_O suggests and just have half of one.

(VLC.MD) #17

(Duncan Kerridge) #18

i could eat a whole tray of Yorkshire puds back in the day, sigh. We’re cooking for everyone this Christmas Day and with the exception of spuds roasted in goose fat it’s all going to be keto. But I shall miss the puds.

(Ellen) #19

Tell me about it, with a pint of gravy! We shall see, as @JustPeachy said, maybe I won’t enjoy them as much.

(SleepyMotherOf3 🇬🇧) #20

I eat strict keto 6 days a week, with relaxed Sunday. I eat two Yorkshires most weeks. Lovely. Overall I’m happy with my weight loss.
Any carbs I eat have to be worth it.

(VLC.MD) #21

There is no single Keto roadmap.

Be open to experimenting.

Enjoy the challenge.

(brian) #22

Check out Daisy’s posting which has Taffiny’s Yorkshire Pudding recipe

I haven’t tried it yet but am going to test it when I get back after Christmas.

(Ellen) #24

Thanks Brian, I’ll give that a go once am back home.

(Jack Brien) #25

I find that such a sad thing :frowning: I had some shortbread the other day, quite depressing.

(Jack Brien) #26

I have always found in the past (his will be my first ketoesque Christmas), that I always put far too much on my plate in an attempt to try it all. This year I shan’t bother and will just eat what I really want. I’ll try a tiny bit of the things I fancy, just to make sure they are worth eating, before I fill my plate

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

My sister cooked a lovely meal yesterday. I stuck mainly to the turkey and the broccoli, but I did try a dinner roll, made from my grandmother’s famous recipe, for the nostalgia of it, and it was fortunately not as satisfying as I would have wished, so I didn’t feel tempted to have any more. I also enjoyed a couple of pieces of delicious pumpkin pie—not the crust, just the custard (it had sugar in it, but my sister uses less than the recipe calls for). But so far, I have been able to resist the apple pie long enough for my nephew to take care of most of it!

(Ellen) #28

Sounds good Paul :grinning: I did have 1 YP and it was tasty but not OMG must have more tasty. Fasting now as not at all hungry, meant I got to feed the little one whilst everyone else had brekkie & lunch.