"Cheat" Weekend to Kickstart Weight Loss?

Definitely will report back, if it doesn’t kill us… LOL but seriously, I do worry about the side effects.

She has been keeping her carb count at or lower than about 10 carbs for the last 2 weeks. She doesn’t consume dairy with the exception of full fat sour cream and full fat heavy cream, but that is 2 or less servings per week. She does consume block cheese (typically home shredded so we don’t take any starch from the anti-clumping agents). I wonder if that would be a major contributor?

She doesn’t eat nuts, aside from the almond flower we use in recipes. However, again this is typically 2 or less servings per week.

She does intermittent fast on a 14-16/8-10 schedule (nothing after about 7-8 each evening and nothing before about 10-12 each morning). She is unable to extended fast as she has epilepsy and her medical dr (who is fully on board with keto) has told her that extended fasting could very likely induce seizures or worse. We fully trust this doctor because they were the ones who signed off on her IE and eating Keto.

Kratos

Also, One thing I am wondering is how long it would take to get back into Keto and whether we would experience carb withdrawal again? Thoughts?

Kratos

(Carl Keller) #23

Hard to say. Cheese is my keto candy. I often catch myself wanting to eat it when I’m not actually hungry and unless I portion out a specific amount, I tend to eat more of it than I plan. When I started eating it twice a week, I calculated that it was saving me about 1500 calories per week which is about a meal. That’s not to mention that I also cut my butter use in half which saved me another 1000 calories per week. Neither reduction affected my hunger.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #24

Have you run this 3-day plan by the doctor? Is she doing keto for epilepsy as well, or have any of her medications (assuming she is on them) been adjusted for her new diet? I’d definitely consult her doctor in either case. You want to be sure it won’t mess with anything on the epilepsy side of things.

The Dr kept her on the same dose of meds. Keto is not for the epilepsy as that is controlled with the meds. We did not run this by the Dr, but figured that since the Dr was good with Keto or no Keto and the epilepsy is maintained with the meds, then it shouldn’t be too much to worry about.

Might give them a call tomorrow just to be safe…

Kratos

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

Even on a low-carbohydrate, low-insulin diet, the body is reluctant to part with excess stored fat when calories are restricted. The body wants to hang on to its reserves in order to get us through the famine. It also restricts energy expenditures (hair & nail growth, reproductive system, resting metabolism) to compensate for the shortage of energy coming in. This makes it difficult to lose further weight, and requires even deeper calorie restriction, which increases hunger.

By contrast, when the energy coming in is abundant, the body increases its energy expenditures and even wastes energy, and it also becomes willing to let go of some of its excess stored fat. If we want to be assured of enough calories, even better than consulting some some app is eating until hunger is satisfied. Eating to satiety allows the body to signal when we’ve given it enough, it can then cut off our appetite at a level that lets it metabolize stored fat. This doesn’t count as restricting calories, because the body is setting the limit, we are not.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #27

I get full after a very small meal. I can’t eat anymore. Then my body asks for more food a few hours later. We are all different.